Replies

• shut_up_legs
    shut_up_legs Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Congrats op!
  • Matt71Fleming
    Matt71Fleming Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I was 16st + when I started running.I was out of shape and very unfit.I started walking/running for a couple of miles slowly building it up.Now I run 2 or 3 times a week 6 miles at a time.I still wobble a bit but I don't care what anyone thinks.They don't like it don't look.Once you start and get over the initial nerves then you'll enjoy it.All the best in 2016 jog on. :)
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    This is an old thread, but thought I would update: I learned to run, I overcame my embarrassment, and I did it! I run 2-3 days per week (less now because, hey, I'm from northern be so brrrrr!) Running has helped me to learn patience and persistence, it has helped in my weightloss journey (down 62 lbs). If you're considering running, but are too afraid to, push past that fear because when you do it, you will love it!

That's terrific, congratulations on all fronts!
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

i am working on my running too. i am the one who couldnt run up 15 steps for a train without sweating and breathing like someone almost dying. recently i jogged 40 mins on the treadmill non stop i was wondering who the hell i am. its not alot for some but i was well impressed with myself. when its warm i will will try the same in the park. i use the run double app or sometimes runtastic

good luck you can do it

That's great. Congratulations!

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    64crayons wrote: »

i am working on my running too. i am the one who couldnt run up 15 steps for a train without sweating and breathing like someone almost dying. recently i jogged 40 mins on the treadmill non stop i was wondering who the hell i am. its not alot for some but i was well impressed with myself. when its warm i will will try the same in the park. i use the run double app or sometimes runtastic

good luck you can do it

That's great. Congratulations!

Thank you
  • brockwaysmom
    brockwaysmom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I was overweight and super embarassed to start going to the gym or run.my stomach hung over and i thought people would stare and laugh.i made myself do it and found that i was so focused on what i was doing i didnt notice much what other people were doing and it was the same for other people.people who are truly into fitness and bettering their health are focused on what they are doing and i found that those that did notice congratulated me on being there and working my butt off. At the end of the day remember your not doing it for anyone elses approval.i went from having to have a guy get a bar with no weight on it off me to being able to almost bench what my husband can. Its progress hun and if anyone laughs keep in mind that those who work hard beats out anyone who has time to laugh at others.i went from a size 14/16 to a size 2/4 and have friends and family asking me for fitness advice even though 3 years ago i couldnt walk to the mailbox without struggling. You can do it hun :)
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Great update OP, and glad you broke through and did it.

For me, seeing people out there putting in the work when they aren't in shape is actually a big motivation. I've never been much heavier than I am now, and it makes me realize how the people that are larger need to overcome more just to get out there and start.

• summerdaze120
    summerdaze120 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    @laurenspeer2014 that is an awesome update! Pushing past our fears I feel is what helps us truly experience life and live. Just as @robertw486 said, when I see others pushing themselves at the gym, I feel motivated to go just as hard.
  • laurenisfitforlife
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your well wishes, thoughts and for sharing their own experiences! All the best to you all in 2016!
  • GlenzioFitness
    GlenzioFitness Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    F@ck feeling embarrassed, you're doing it for yourself not others!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Just do it. It may not always feel wonderful and you might not always like it and you might be concerned about what people look like at you but in the end it's all about you and being a healthier you. My cousin who runs cross country just came up to me said that I inspire her. She runs competitively and I can barely run a 12 minute mile but I inspire her. She says it is made determination at my quick rise from non runner 2/2 marathon. She is impressed by my determination.& I think that something that all of us who started overweight have. Keep up the good work I'm sure you'll be great.
  • Hoooooooooo
    Hoooooooooo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Well done on your weight loss!

I bet anyone who sees you out running will think, "wow look at her go wish I could do that" or they won't even notice you as most people are wrapped up in their own world. ☺️

Don't let other people stop you from being fabulous. If you lived here we could go together.
  • Panda3270
    Panda3270 Posts: 25 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Good for you in losing 8 pounds! I also feel embarressed to start running. Today I started with walking and hope to challenge myself a little each day. I hope as I am outdoors more I will be less worried about what others think. I have signed up for a 5k in March as motivation. Good luck to you with your goals! I just realized this is an old thread hehe but I love it! So motivating!!!