Weight Loss Supplements

Options
Hey I'm no noob to fitness however I have a question.

Do some weight loss supplements actually work without side effects. I not want to die early lol. If so, what are they called? What do they contain.

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    There are prescription pills which have considerable side effects. Stuff you buy without prescription? No, they don't work. Eat less, move more.

Read the stickies at the top of the getting started and general weight loss forums titled Most Helpful Posts. All the information you need to make informed decisions is there. You can do it.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 100 pounds

Calorie deficit and a good scale. Add fun exercise as a diet supplement

Ha!

It really is simple to lose weight once you focus on the important things

Supplements are just expensive urine in my experience. But hey, maybe they work for some people.

Best wishes on your weight loss quest
  • ajm_uwe
    ajm_uwe Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Only benefit from most weight loss supps is appetite suppression. Something which sugar free jelly or a lb of cauliflower could do a lot cheaper :-)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm no noob to fitness however I have a question.

Do some weight loss supplements actually work without side effects. I not want to die early lol. If so, what are they called? What do they contain.

No is the quickest answer, the ones that work are banned, the ones that semi work have side effects not worth it. I read on here once about some one who exploded faeces all over his partner whilst a sleep. Lovely!

Stick to just eating less and moving more. The side effects are positive and you'll feel great :)
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't bother throwing money away on these types of products. Follow the free method of CICO and I'm sure you'll see great weight loss results in time.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    No. I've wasted way too much money trying them all.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    No. I've wasted way too much money trying them all.

Me too, and none of them had any affect on weight loss at all! Complete and utter sham and a massive waste of money!

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Start logging and you will lose weight !!!
  • asgentr
    asgentr Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    No, but healing your gut and making sure you are getting the proper nutrients is important. It's not just calories that matter. Personally, I take D3, magnesium citrate, zinc, a quality probiotic and garlic.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    asgentr wrote: »
    No, but healing your gut and making sure you are getting the proper nutrients is important. It's not just calories that matter. Personally, I take D3, magnesium citrate, zinc, a quality probiotic and garlic.
    what would this op need to heal his gut from ?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Op, don't waste your money. Get a food scale and learn portion control. Log your foods here. To lose weight, you need a calorie deficit.
  • datsundriver87
    datsundriver87 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I've lost 80 pounds with no supplements, recently started taking hydroxycut about a month ago just to give me a kick as I was starting to plateau and it definitely helps with appetite suppression which obviously means you loose weight, also gives me a little energy boost as it has caffeine, but I don't believe it's going to magically help me loose weight without putting in the work also. I'm gonna try it for two months than I'll report back with a better review.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    The ones that did work are now banned because of side effects (possibility of heart attacks). There are some that do actually work by increasing the body temperature forcing the body to work to cool down but again you're dealing with side effects of that process and the advantage of that is negligible and can be replicated by just exercising. So, weight loss supplements in themselves are either dangerous to use in some cases or have a negligible affect. My advice, don't bother spending your money on them and get a gym membership instead.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    No weight loss supplement works without calorie deficit. And that's a learned habit, not one by taking a pill.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Nothing legal and safe works. 99.9% of weight loss pills are just caffeine which your body gets used to incredibly fast.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    To add... High amounts of caffeine can leach calcium out of the body.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I believe studies have shown that the amount of calcium lost by ingesting lots of caffeine is minimal. As in, 1 tablespoon of milks worth of calcium.

Don't want anyone being worried about their daily coffee =)