Best workout video set for overweight, out of shape beginner?

Options
Any workout videos you would recommend? I'm WAY out of shape, overweight, and need something to start out on that won't KILL me :-) I had P90X and the workouts were so long I just couldn't stick with it.
DO NOT bombard my inbox with beachbody coaches! I just want to hear your own experience what worked for you when you were starting out!
Thanks!
Did I mention I have a bad knee :-)

Replies

• lizzievny
    lizzievny Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds series of DVDs. There are many different levels and you can modify them to suit your own needs.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I don't have any specific recommendations on easier videos, but I've always picked ones I liked for whatever reason and just modified it to match my ability. If I couldn't get through to the end, I just did as much as I could, or if one move just wasn't doable for me I would jog in place until the next one came along. I'm sure someone will have some good suggestions though. :smile:
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 have a bad knee and atrophy in the same leg. I literally started out with just walking and my workout video was Richard Simmons and the Silver Foxes. It's geared for the elderly and once I mastered that I moved onto other richard videos and Leslie Sansone. I have passed the Silver Foxes on to my mom. LOL :) Try your library to see if you can try some dvd's before buying. I also like to look at dvd's on Totalfitnessdvd's .com they show clips of them and many I knew from the clip I couldn't do them. Good luck!!!
  • DogBuddy69
    DogBuddy69 Posts: 4 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I recommend searching for "low impact beginner cardio" on google and checking out some of the videos. Channels such as FitnessBlender has quite a few of these types of videos and they are very good for what you're looking for.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Fitness Blender has all kinds of workouts. You can specify intensity (1 through 5 with one being the lowest) and low impact. As you get stronger, move to harder stuff.

I also have to second Leslie Sansone, she's a fantastic, just get moving motivator and she stresses doing what you can, just keep going.

Don't negate walking as a fantastic beginner exercise. It's easy to add time, and intensity as you get stronger. You may even put in short sprints in between walking as you feel up to it.
  • ataylorgardner
    ataylorgardner Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    If you like the beachbody workouts they have a lot of them that are more geared towards beginners and those that are 30minutes or less. Piyo is a great one to get started with, as is Tony Horton's P90 or 10 minute trainer. 21 Day Fix is also really good. If that is not the route you are looking for there are many excellent free workouts on YouTube. it really depends on what you are looking for
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of the biggest loser beginner ones are pretty easy and there is one called extreme makeover the workout that is really pretty easy,my daughter uses that one because most videos she cant do yet.(she has back issues and ankle issues)
  • kvansteen
    kvansteen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Bikini body mommy. She has modifications and the workouts are only 20 minutes.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Fitness Blender, Blogilates on youtube.
  • Alpha12
    Alpha12 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Jessica Smith TV workouts on youtube. Lots of variety including walking videos - for free!
  • lauragibson888
    lauragibson888 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    How did I not know about fitness blender!?!?! Thanks everyone!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    edited December 2015
    Options
    It depends what kind of equipment and time you want to dedicate. If you like the bb series there is p90x3 or t25 if you like 30 minute workouts. I was a huge fan of body beast but also have chisel & hammer now.

There is also, you are your own gym, convict conditioning or fitness blender.
  • reetgreenthumb
    reetgreenthumb Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    biggest loser workouts were good start up dvd for me. Rushfit is another good one for all levels because they demonstrate the modified version of what they are doing for people who can't do the advanced way yet. You can always pause the videos or lower the intensity of what you are doing. Just don't suddenly stop moving if you get tired maybe walk around or something to bring your heart rate down gradually while the video is paused and you can continue after you recover. I wouldn't do P90X as a beginner, that's a tough one and can easily intimidate someone from wanting to continue with exercise.
  • BJerzy
    BJerzy Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I live to do Zuma and other dance videos, Jillian Michaels or even pilates videos. The dance ones are fun even if you're not coordinated, and the video sets still target different areas like butt, core, and cardio. Also as you increase, you can start doing them with hand weights (or veggie cans) and ankle weights for an added bonus.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I live to do Zuma and other dance videos, Jillian Michaels or even pilates videos. The dance ones are fun even if you're not coordinated, and the video sets still target different areas like butt, core, and cardio. Also as you increase, you can start doing them with hand weights (or veggie cans) and ankle weights for an added bonus.

zumba may be too hard for some and so is Jillian michaels, even some of the modifiers are hard for some people when I first started out jillian was too hard for me, even with the modifiers. now 3+ year later some moves I still cant do and still have to do the modified versions.everyone is different though.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I also started my weight loss playing the just dance games and the golds gym dance game on the wii. I lost 17 lbs in the first 3-4 months and I wasnt counting calories at that time either(had no idea about that back then).They have dance games for other consoles as well. its low impact and its fun and gets you moving. I play those from time to time when I dont want to lift or do other exercises,so I just dance away. I also have zumba dance games for the wii too.(I need a new console lol). but yeah if you dont want to do videos and have a game console you can get dance games and lose weight that way. whatever gets you moving will help. I walked all my life and walking alone,did not help me with weight loss at all. it may for some but for me it didnt.
  • MsLindaC2015
    MsLindaC2015 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am 62 and just a beginner, but what helped me is a DVD called" Silver & Fit@Home Exercise Classes. It includes both cardio and strength but is meant for seniors or beginners. When I first started I couldn't get through the first 9 minute session, but now able to do the first two, which is all of Level One. Anyway, for me, it was a good place to start.