MFP is the new plenty of fish?

Options

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I have this happen a lot. I usually don't reject friend requests because I don't mind new friends, but this means I get those awkward messages. Usually a couple a month. I just delete them and move on. If anything, it amuses me slightly.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I get it every now and again but I just delete without a response and forget about it.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I never really understood what the big deal is. If you don't want to talk to them, don't. If they are being inappropriate, or saying something you don't like, block them.
    People are people, and some people like to interact/flirt/be around other people, and the format they find them in isn't all that important.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    It's better than plenty of fish, at least you have something decent in common :tongue:
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I never really understood what the big deal is. If you don't want to talk to them, don't. If they are being inappropriate, or saying something you don't like, block them.
    People are people, and some people like to interact/flirt/be around other people, and the format they find them in isn't all that important.

It is only a big deal if you make it a big deal.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I don't get these because 1. I have Chit Chat blocked 2. don't have a personal profile picture

If you participate in the chit chat forum it could be seen by some as an invitation. Not your fault. If you don't participate in chit chat, a profile picture could be seen by some as an invitation. Again, not your fault.

In real life going to the bar without a partner could be seen as an invitation, and even if you don't go to bars sometimes simply having a face is an invitation according to random people who participate in catcalling in the streets. Just like in real life you either decline invitations or ignore catcalls. No big deal. listing you're not interested on your profile would be the equivalent of wearing a wedding ring.

MFP is not the new POF, it's simply a place that has real people from the real world, with all kinds of real personalities, and for them to act like people in real life do is to be expected.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, I have had it happen quite a lot. Not too much recently though.
    Fair enough my avatar is a pic of me, but in my profile, public, it quite blatantly says I am 62.
    What the he|| would a 20something guy do with me if I responded- shudder to think.

Pay no attention, just trolls of a different kind.

Cheers, h.
  • robs_ready
    Options
    Fair enough my avatar is a pic of me, but in my profile, public, it quite blatantly says I am 62.
    What the he|| would a 20something guy do with me if I responded- shudder to think.

Cheers, h.

Nothing wrong with an older woman!
  • dhimaan
    Options
    roblloyd89 wrote: »

Cheers, h.

I agree. I know sexy when I see it and it has nothing to do with age. Susan Sarandon and Helen Mirren are hot.

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    @roblloyd89 you made me nearly spit out my wine! B)
    @dhimaan they most certainly are.

Happy hols, h.
  • robs_ready
    Options
    dhimaan wrote: »

Cheers, h.

I agree. I know sexy when I see it and it has nothing to do with age. Susan Sarandon and Helen Mirren are hot.

Agreed man, I can appreciate an older lady a lot more now than I ever did (Y)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    I've been here awhile and haven't had any of that.

Also, just for info, your profile is closed so peole who aren't friends can't see you are married or any of the other info.

How do you know that her profile is closed? When I click in the name of a member that information doesn't show anymore. It only shows when he/she enrolled in MFP and if I want to send a message or ignore. Did anything changed?

Yes, adding the "ignore user" feature for the forums put an extra step in, as someone said you have to click on the username again on that popup to get to the profile, at least on the web site.
  • dhimaan
    edited December 2015
    Options

Cheers, h.

So do I. Always did get more interest from older women but never pursued. So many chances blown.
  • robs_ready
    Options

Cheers, h.

So do I. Always did get more interest from older women but never pursued. So many chances blown.

I'm making up for it now! ;)
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Kimegatron wrote: »
    Or men, I'm sure some of you get that also. I'm just pretty sure I put that I'm married on my profile... Is this normal here?

<checks in box again>

Nope. Nada. Nothing. 3 years running. Sigh...

I have gotten 2 flirty PM's in the 5+ years I have been on MFP. Both PM's turned into diet pill sale pitches so I guess that doesn't really count, right?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Kimegatron wrote: »
    I have no idea how to open my about me from my phone. I'll have to do it when I get home I guess

Here's a direct link to the page you want:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/profile_privacy
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I don't accept friend requests from anyone who doesn't give me a reason and most of my friends are female but one of my "female" mfp friends turned out to be anything but! Some other ladies had been sharing progress pics which he greatly appreciated!

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I have never had an issue. Then again, my avatar is a cartoon lady wearing a creeper jacket, covered in cats. Sexy. lol
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    so i had a snarky little comment (cause im full of em!) but then remembered... i met my bf on here so.... yeah.

lol

BUT it did NOT start with lewd or unwanted comments or anything.

that said, there are certain areas of the forums that i dont go in (or dont post in) just because its more flirty or whatever and im just not interested. but on the main boards, i have never seen or experienced anything like that.
  • drywall_painter
    drywall_painter Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    There is a segment of that here for sure.