Getting started today!! I need help!

Options
Hey everyone! I decided today that I am sick of being the "big girl". Every time I start a diet I find reasons to quit. I need friends that can help me stay focused and that I can support too!

Replies

• neplainjanepas
    neplainjanepas Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hey There! Congrats on making this big push to getting healthy and in shape. The journey is long but so worth it. My advice,

Stay connected! MFP and the community has been a huge help to me, where very few of my friends are serious about fitness and healthy eating. And of course, make a pinterest board about it. Change things up often to make it exciting, don't get stuck eating the same foods again and again or you will get bored.

Best of luck in 2016
  • lainaprovince
    lainaprovince Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Hi! Stay focused by repeating your own statement everyday, that you are sick of being the 'big girl'! This site is very helpful, read success stories when you're having good days AND when you're not. Log all your food (even treats) accurately! Drink extra water and find an exercise you like. (I started walking and listening to podcasts). Just the logging everything you put in your mouth will help you stay accountable... even a cookie, log it.

Good job so far in making it this far and realizing you want to change! I became a 'big girl' the same term I used too! I was always lean until I hit 50 and a few close family members passed away within 2 yrs of each other plus menopausal symptoms and then being totally unaware that I could gain weight! I joined in October, measured myself since I don't own a scale, and I've lost 4 inches off my waist! I now really watch and have reduced sodium & oils from my diet and I follow the 5:2 way of eating which works for me (just google)

You can do this! You started this site, the rest is up to you! Be the girl you want to be! Rooting for you!

• greenninjadrops100mfp
    Options
    Today is my official restart day as well! Congrats on making the big decision, and also for not waiting until the 1st. :wink:
  • lainaprovince
    lainaprovince Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My husband asked why not wait until the first or Monday at least. My response was that is another week I could be losing weight!
  • mamainthekitchen
    Options
    My husband asked why not wait until the first or Monday at least. My response was that is another week I could be losing weight!

You're right on!! Start when you want and be in charge. May I ask if your husband needs to lose a little weight too? If you have a husband like mine who needs to lose as well but is not yet 'ready' to join you in a new way of eating, just work around it as best you can. I've learned to have changes to a menu like using spaghetti squash in place of the pasta everyone else is having and found I really like it! Or cauliflower mashed instead of potatoes etc

I lost weight my first week!!
  • bevkidd1
    bevkidd1 Posts: 265 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I have been meaning to try the cauliflower in place of potatoes. I am going to the store sometime tomorrow..i will have to get some. I also want to try either kale or swiss chard. Has anyone had them before and if so, how do you prepare them?
  • dramamama06
    dramamama06 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I hope you'll accept my friend request.
  • lizlashley2009
    lizlashley2009 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm starting Monday again this is like my 3rd time starting but I have to fit into my wedding dress I want to wear you can add me
  • lizlashley2009
    lizlashley2009 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm starting Monday again this is like my 3rd time starting but I have to fit into my wedding dress I want to wear you can add me
  • suenewberry81
    suenewberry81 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I'm starting today I lost 49 lbs with slimming would and over the last 18 months I'be gained it all back
  • katoliroo
    katoliroo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi I.m starting today too. Disgusted with the holiday photos . Really struggle with sticking to healthy eating and motivation to excersise so hoping to get some support from others on here. I have so many reasons to lose weight but am so impulsive that I blow it before I even realise!! So frustrated at myself.

Good luck and hope we can share encouragement and ultimately success x
  • rachgettinfit
    rachgettinfit Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm also starting today. Just last Sept I was within 5 lbs of my lowest weight since grade school, since then I have gained 20lbs :( Looking to meet some accountability buddies!
  • lilolme273
    lilolme273 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    After seeing holiday pictures. .gave me a whole new push to lose weight...im realistic..just want healthy not skinny...I fell off the wagon for a month...going to work on moving more...dropping down carbs..sugars..and keeping this journal..wish everyone luck.
  • mamainthekitchen
    Options
    lilolme273 wrote: »
    After seeing holiday pictures. .gave me a whole new push to lose weight...im realistic..just want healthy not skinny...I fell off the wagon for a month...going to work on moving more...dropping down carbs..sugars..and keeping this journal..wish everyone luck.

That was me!!!! Thought it was someone else wearing my shirt!!! Log everything accurately & You'll do great!
  • AFitJamie
    AFitJamie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Great to hear you are getting started! If You have any questions regarding MFP, I'm happy to help - Just message me or send a friend request. I've been here a fair while (I guess 4 years) - I go up and down a few pounds throughout a year and use MFP to build my discipline during my losing stages. I'm happy to help anyone with the jargon and noise about "BMR" and "TDEE" and yada yada if you find it confusing. I'm not always in the forums - Seems to get repetitive after a while and I need a break, but I pop in from time to time. Feel free to add me if I can be helpful.

A few basics perhaps to help up front:

Be patient - This is a long race and lifestyle change, not a short sprint

Don't worry about 1-3Lb weight fluctuations in a week if you are truly tracking and keeping a good diary - our bodies can retain a lot of water at various times, or as a result of various foods we may eat (e.g. lots of salt) which will make the scale move - but a scale does not measure "fat" it measures "weight" - retain water and waste for a day or two and your scale will read higher - but you probably didn't gain "fat" - particularly if you are disciplined with your diary

There is a lot of bad advice on this message board given from very well meaning people who want to be helpful. Be cautious about what advice you accept and when something doesn't seem to make sense, google it, or ask someone you do trust - the more you learn the better equipped you are.

Wishing you the best in this!