Leftover Ham

Options
pie_eyes
pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
What do I do with it? All the Christmas sides are gone already somehow. But there's so much ham

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    We've just fried off a load of mushrooms, garlic and ham cubes and served it on a slice of garlic bread. Tasted amazing!

You can cube it and add it to omelettes, salads, stirfries.

Make a ham and pea soup.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Or a quiche.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Ham pie

Lightly sauté mushrooms, onion, make a sauce over it ...butter, flour and stock, chuck in ham, some herbs cover with pastry
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    -sandwiches
    -fried ham and fried eggs
    -scrambled eggs or omelet with diced ham
    -dice and add to salads (e.g., Cobb salad)
    -ham and potato casserole (google a recipe - I'm thinking of something made with sliced potato, possible parboiled before assembling casserole, ham, onion, and a white sauce or some sort of condensed "cream" soup, such as cream of celery)
    -dice and add to soups (beans soups, obviously; ham would be good in hot and sour soup in lieu of pork; you could use it lieu of sausage in a sausage and escarole or kale soup; or just toss it in the soup pot with whatever veggies you have)

You can always freeze leftover ham until you're in the mood to cook your preferred sides again.
  • caranais
    caranais Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    pea and ham soup. So comforting and warming. And a pleasant change from all the rich Christmas food. Also either turkey and ham or chicken and ham pie (whatever bird you might have some meat left over from), make some white sauce add the ham and whatever else you have and either have it with a pastry crust, or mashed potatoes on top and put in oven to crust over. Or make some parsley sauce, mashed potatoes with scallion chopped through it (champ), ham and whatever veg you like, I find savoy cabbage goes particularly well with it, but peas, carrots, cauliflower or broccoli is just as good. Whatever you do - enjoy. I love the flavour of ham with almost anything, even a ham and cheese toastie, or (croque monsieur even if you have the calories to fry it in butter) lol.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    caranais wrote: »
    pea and ham soup. So comforting and warming. And a pleasant change from all the rich Christmas food. Also either turkey and ham or chicken and ham pie (whatever bird you might have some meat left over from), make some white sauce add the ham and whatever else you have and either have it with a pastry crust, or mashed potatoes on top and put in oven to crust over. Or make some parsley sauce, mashed potatoes with scallion chopped through it (champ), ham and whatever veg you like, I find savoy cabbage goes particularly well with it, but peas, carrots, cauliflower or broccoli is just as good. Whatever you do - enjoy. I love the flavour of ham with almost anything, even a ham and cheese toastie, or (croque monsieur even if you have the calories to fry it in butter) lol.

Mmm. I've never tried a savory pie combining ham and poultry (I've done ham and cheese pie, and chicken or turkey alone). That really sounds good. I need to get a ham and a bird so I'll have leftovers to try it. We had lasagna for Christmas this year, which was very yummy and a nice relaxing meal, since there wasn't so much to do at the last minute.
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    cooked cabbage, soft boiled potatoes, some butter and ham mixed together = yum!
    now wishing we had remembered to bring home some of the ham we took to MIL's house..

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Plain, warmed up. Great diet food !! Full of lean protein.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    We use if for sandwiches, breakfast, pots of beans and soup. My friend makes ham salad. She chopped it up very fine with a food processor and adds mayo, pickles, stuff you would find in chicken or tuna salad.

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/04/pot-liquor-soup.html
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/11/smoky-15-bean-soup.html
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/04/white-beans-and-rice.html
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    One more! Red-eye gravy and ham.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    On biscuits with peach habanero jam
  • sap2003a
    sap2003a Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    pie_eyes wrote: »
    What do I do with it? All the Christmas sides are gone already somehow. But there's so much ham

• sap2003a
    sap2003a Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Freeze it or some of it for later.
  • caranais
    caranais Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    caranais wrote: »

Mmm. I've never tried a savory pie combining ham and poultry (I've done ham and cheese pie, and chicken or turkey alone). That really sounds good. I need to get a ham and a bird so I'll have leftovers to try it. We had lasagna for Christmas this year, which was very yummy and a nice relaxing meal, since there wasn't so much to do at the last minute.

I hope you like it, it's one of our favourites. Good idea with the lasagne to make for a more relaxing day. We can put a lot of pressure on ourselves at this time of year. Happy New Year
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    pie_eyes wrote: »

Freeze it.
    sandwiches- ham salad is popular with my family, grilled ham and cheese
    Put it in casseroles. Broccoli cheese rice/potato casserole with ham added is pretty good.
    Add to bean or potato soup.
    Add to eggs.
    Add to pasta.
    Scalloped potatoes and ham.
    I make something similar to this but add ham and a bit of bacon. http://www.budgetbytes.com/2015/03/skillet-potatoes-and-green-beans/
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I love ham salad! But I frequently buy small quantities of ham and use sandwich thins and mustard to make a low calorie snack.
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    Ham and potato casserole sounds like a winner

Anybody have recipes for that by chance?
  • scastor27
    scastor27 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I remember my grandma doing scalloped potatoes with the leftover ham and also potato/ham soup. I've been doing an English muffin with a slice of ham and a fried egg with whatever cheese or spread I'm in the mood for...yum.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    Pasta carbonara is the first thing I think of. Sauté bacon with onion until done, add chopped ham and continue to cook. Deglaze the pan with a bit of wine or brandy etc. Combine with freshly cooked pasta, along with a couple of beaten eggs and Parmesan cheese. Keep stirring to combine, season to your liking. The heat from the pasta and bacon/ham/onion mixture will cook the egg. You could also add a bit of cream, but it's not necessary since all ingredients will form a delicious sauce that sticks to the pasta. Serve with mor shredded Parmesan on top.... Use real cheese, not the powdered stuff, or use different cheeses. Yum! Have a glass of wine with it.
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    Pasta carbonara is the first thing I think of. Sauté bacon with onion until done, add chopped ham and continue to cook. Deglaze the pan with a bit of wine or brandy etc. Combine with freshly cooked pasta, along with a couple of beaten eggs and Parmesan cheese. Keep stirring to combine, season to your liking. The heat from the pasta and bacon/ham/onion mixture will cook the egg. You could also add a bit of cream, but it's not necessary since all ingredients will form a delicious sauce that sticks to the pasta. Serve with mor shredded Parmesan on top.... Use real cheese, not the powdered stuff, or use different cheeses. Yum! Have a glass of wine with it.

I was going to suggest the same thing! Only difference is that I use no bacon...I use ham only. I follow the American test kitchen recipe that includes a wee bit of white wine in the sauce...love this recipe!
    The other thing I do with ham is make a split pea soup with it. The soup is even better if you are lucky enough to have the ham bone. I like to make a big batch and freeze half of it.