Trainning/Diet Guidance From a Male Perspective

Options
2»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    At your height with more than 20% of body fat to lose, you'd likely end up being 185lbs "ripped" unless you have some serious muscle to begin with, which doesn't sound like it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Good luck

Just out of courtesy though the training and dietary advice you would get from women would be equally valid. I know you don't mean anything by it but just thought I'd mention it
  • Liebo34
    Liebo34 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I understand that it would be equally valid and I was not trying to diminish advice I might get from women, but it is nice to get the male perspective on things as well. Thanks
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    I got down to 13-14% BF (InBody had me at low 14s but I weighed a few pounds heavier so it impacted the %) when I hit 185, and to be honest, I looked pretty thin. Unless you're walking around without a shirt on all the time (or are competing) nobody is going to be able to tell how ripped you are and all they will see is how gaunt your face looks. I was happy I hit the goal I had set for myself, but that was too lean. I'm bulking of and happy to the scale and muscle slowly increase. No doubt I'm getting stronger at the same time. At the end of my deficit eating, despite best efforts, I was losing strength.

Bolded up above….
    Back when I was 39-40 I dropped a lot of weight and did cardio (well as much as I could stand) but wasn't lifting weights with a plan or very seriously.
    I had some people at work ask those I interacted with more often if I had cancer or some other serious illness. That's how gaunt my face looked and how thin I had become. Pretty much gave up at that point, not just cardio but being fit in general (long story why, won't get into it).
    This time around starting back in early '14 I decided to drop weight but follow a structured program, SL5x5. Nowadays people mention I look fit, instead of ill (by no means done, it's now a work in progress and a lifetime commitment).
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    At your height with more than 20% of body fat to lose, you'd likely end up being 185lbs "ripped" unless you have some serious muscle to begin with, which doesn't sound like it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I can't agree more!!+++++

My original goal was to be ripped at 220lbs and now I'm ripped at 185lbs my original weight was as high as 293 but really sat at about 260ish from 35-45 years of age. I'm 6' tall 47 years old workout with weights 5 times a week ride a stationary bike 7 days a week..
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your question. Some of the above validates my own experience. Started at 245 and thought I could settle at 205, but that left me at 22-24% BF. Thought I could recomp the fat away but the best I have been able to achieve so far has been 190 and 18% BF. Would like to get down to at most 15% and consider a bulking cycle back up to 195. Even at 190 I've gotten to many comment that I should stop losing and question about my health.
  • bfh123
    bfh123 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    6'1" 45 years here. I used to be pretty fit, fell off the wagon and was 247 back in July. A routine trip the doc over the summer revealed I had the beginnings of high cholesterol. I'm very adverse to "popping pills" for every ailment without doing everything possible to to fix things (I'm not anti-medicine, I just think theres a time and place for them). Since then, I've lost 20 pounds, but i've lost a lot more fat and added muscle. I've been doing crossfit 3-4 days a week and running about 60 miles per month.

You or anyone else is welcome to add me, I'll help anyway I can.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I would advise getting to 14-15% body fat and training for 6 months at a slight protein surplus

The goal of a certain poundage is probably something to just evaluate as you do your recomposition. You may find that 20 extra pounds of muscle on a 14% body fat frame is your happy place for energy and the ability to enjoy life.

I went to 13% and started seeing that slight gains in lean body mass were visually dramatic. The more you taper your torso and lean out your hips, the larger your upper body appears. The same with your quads regarding the body symmetry.

Cycling blasts my legs now after building a muscle base with squats and deadlifts.

It will take time and you may adjust your goals as you get closer. IMO nutrition will really get to be important. Rest and nutrition will be as important as

• CallMe_SIR
    CallMe_SIR Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    Are you sure you want to be a "ripped" 225 pounds? You're going to have to do some serious hypertrophy training and several (years) bulk/cut cycles. You may find you'll appreciate your physique when you get to the 190-200 pound range.

I'm about the same height as you and in the 185-190 pound range. You're welcome to look at my diary. (I don't track exercise)

Ripped 225 is definitely a long term goal. At 230 I am measuring a 52 inch chest, 18 Inch around bicep, 38 inches around my belly button, and 29 inch legs. Still carrying around extra fat in the middle. I'm just guessing, but I think I still need to cut at least 25 lbs of fat. I'm happy with my body cemetery for the most part. I just want my arms a bit bigger, my waist a few inches smaller and more overall definition.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    I think you'll have to plan on doing quite a few cycles of cutting and bulking to get to where you want to be. I'm at 208 now with a 34 inch waist at bellybutton, 48 inch chest 22 inch biceps and 32 inches around the legs and I'm currently 15% BF. From the calculator I use, in order to get to the 10% I want, I would have to cut down to around 194 and that's if I don't gain another ounce of muscle. As it is now, I think my proportions are starting to get a little skewed. I can see what the poster said earlier that cut to 13% was saying about your midsection looking really small and making your shoulders and quads looks abnormally large. I've always had pretty broad shoulders and broad lats so I might start rethinking that 10% as the weight continues to come off. At 230 lbs, if you're at say 20% BF, you'd have to cut to around 205 to get to 10% bf which is where you'll see a good amount of definition. If you want to looked completely shredded, you'd have to cut to somewhere between 5-7% BF, which means that you would have to cut to about 197 lbs. That's also if you don't continue to gain muscle while you cut. So, to get to 225 at 7% BF, it's going to take a couple of years of cycling to get to that, depending on your genetics and eating. I applaud you on your goals. Good luck to you. I'd be happy with 210 lbs at 10% BF.
  • CallMe_SIR
    Options
    I suppose I'll know for sure when I get closer to my goals.
  • CallMe_SIR
    Options
    Guess I'll know for sure when I get closer to my goals.
  • CallMe_SIR
    Options
    I'll see how it goes. I may change my goals later depending on how happy I am with my progress.
  • CallMe_SIR
    Options
    ^^ sorry about all that ^^ the app has been acting up lately on my phone and I wasn't able to see my replies.
  • CallMe_SIR
    Options
    Okay, so I did a couple of the 5X5 Strong Lifts workouts and they took a long time to complete with the warm-ups and rest between sets. I have limited gym time so, I switched to the Starting Strength workouts. That cut 30 minutes of my workout time and it feels to be just as effective so far. Weight progressions are the same..... Anyone see any issues with that?
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts and starting strength are very similar. I'd say Starting Strength is a more researched plan, and Rippetoe definitely knows what he's talking about when it's lifting. I wouldn't take his diet advice though... just my dislike of what seems to me very similar to GOMAD.

Have you read the book? It's a great resource for form and mechanics.
  • CallMe_SIR
    Options
    I have started reading the book. I did watch his videos on form through the app. I'll keep you're comment in mind when I get to the nutrition portion. Currently I'm eating around 1600 calories a day. I'm currently trying to cut 7-9% body fat (that'll put me at around 15ish %). From that point I'll decide if I need to go more (probably will, but we'll see).
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    How much weight are you losing per week on 1600 calories? Since you're starting a lifting routine, make sure you get enough protein.
  • CallMe_SIR
    Options
    It's been fluctuating 2.5± lbs. haven't been really "loosing" any weight since I began lifting. I try to consume around 125-135 grams of protein a day, but some days its really difficult for me to consume that quantity without going over my calories.