Bouncing back from Medifast-anyone else?

Hi Fitness Friends!

This year, I lost about 50 pounds on Medifast. It took me the first six months of 2015 to lose it. I was ecstatic that I finally got the weight off and hit my goal weight of 140. But there were things that I didn't know that definitely proved to be challenging to my body physically this year. I have gained about 20 pounds back and I did lose some hair this year. I read that others have experienced hair loss with the intense weight loss and I wonder if it has something to do with not enough vitamins/nutrients too. I joined MFP today in an attempt to begin a healthier lifestyle, but one that does get me back to my healthy goal weight of 140. Although I only need to lose about 20 pounds I feel that it will be challenging because I think I messed up my metabolism. I am looking for friends who may be in the same boat, who have used intense programs and have experienced physical challenges and/or weight gain afterwards. I don't have any friends on here yet, but would love to connect with folks that are in the same kind of situation as me. Of course I'd love to connect with anyone that wants to help motivate each other as well! Good luck, and thank you for your support in advance! I know we can do this together! ✨✌️

Replies

• jdubyk53
    jdubyk53 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi allow me to introduce myself . I am new on here from the Detroit Michigan area. I am going to work on 100 lbs I have to lose. I will be utilizing the Nutri ninja . I would like to have you as a friend if that's alright with you.
  • OneLight671
    OneLight671 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi Erica! My name is Janiece. I lost 33lbs from Feb-April 2014 on MFP. I did have significant hair loss but my hair has since grown in well thankfully! I did gain some weight back but just in the last 8 months or so since I took a new job that required some significant changes in my physical activity--sitting a lot:-( I'm rebooting with MFP starting TODAY! Best wishes to US! It has worked for us before. It will again! As far as hair, I'm hoping that since the initial shock to my body when I first did the program, this will produce less hair loss. And I don't think MFP messes up our metabolism. I have many friends who have done MFP in their 40s & 50s who are doing very well.
  • pradan858
    pradan858 Posts: 10 Member
    edited January 2016
    I am doing medifast in California. The program makes you come in for a year after your goal weight once a week to talk about nutrition and staying on track. As well as weaning off medifast once your goal Wight is met. They weigh you once a week as and still do the scans once a month. Is your medifast doing this for you?
  • 6arnall
    6arnall Posts: 1 Member
    I lost 70lbs on Medifast in 2014' I've gained about 30 back since hitting my goal. I'm going back on program today. I'd love to have friends to connect with as I start my second round.
    I lost a lot if hair last time too. It came back in thick and I plan to be more vigilant about taking vitamins to avoid the hair loss.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    The hair loss is actually not related to vitamins. It's due to not having enough calories for your body to sustain basic functions. Medi-fast is short for medical fast. It's a very low calorie diet and that's why you are not supposed to workout. The amount of calories you get barely covers the amount of calories your brain and organs need to function.
  • rldeclercq4
    rldeclercq4 Posts: 269 Member
    I can only speak for my own experience on medifast, obviously. In January I weighed in at 367, in some desperate need of weight loss. My doctor recommended medifast. (For context I'm an otherwise healthy 29 year old male in California). I was skeptical at first based a lot of online reviews but figured it was worth a try. So I started in mid February and I've had no symptoms people complain about. I've kept working out the entire time, taking daily vitamins, sleeping 8 hours a night and drinking at least 100oz of water a day. I don't have feeling of extreme hunger either. No hair loss, no fatigue. I. Fact I've boosted my exercise to double days 3x a week including weight training. Since Januray I've lost 40 lbs, checked in at 326 this morning. It's working for me. Once I hit 280 I plan to consult was a nutritionist so I can successfully wean myself off medifast and back to normal food to not risk putting all the weight back on. I don't know if perhaps there is a difference in experiences between males and females due to various hormones, but a month in and my experience has been pretty great so far. I don't even mind the meals either :)