Does turning 30 slow down metabolism

Options
Hi,

I am 29 yrs old and I noticed I have to wrkout twice as hard and really watch my diet just to lose a lb. In my teens I would lose 5lbs without wrkibg out.

How can I jump start my metabolism and not let it fall? I dnt want to turn into a house by age 40.

Thnks for ur help in advance.

Replies

• frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Lol. If you think losing weight at 30 is bad, just wait! It gets worse. At 60, the metabolism is very, very slooooow.
    :laugh:
  • mbrown371
    mbrown371 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't know about anybody else but I feel like the combination of turning 30 and having kids has wrecked my metabolism. I have to workout very hard now and watch every single thing I eat in order to lose any kind of weight. I used to eat whatever I wanted and jogged a few miles and would lose 5 lbs just like that. So I would love to hear some suggestions on how to jumpstart your metabolism.
  • Alure
    Alure Posts: 30
    Options
    I'm not thirty, but there are a lot of amazing role models who are 30 and 40+ who are amazingly fit and look enviable for any age. One thing that they all seem to have in common is weight training. Weight training builds muscle which is metabolically active, making it so you burn more calories around the clock. If you aren't incorporating weights, you should try that. No need to turn into a house. Just look for role models who have done what you want to do, and try to follow their example.
  • CoachKaren
    CoachKaren Posts: 90
    Options
    HI! Short answer? Yes. But its because you lose muscle. get a COMPLETE program that combines Cardio and strength, and eat clean. I hope this helps!
  • CoachKaren
    CoachKaren Posts: 90
    Options
    I should add that by building muscle tone, your body will burn more calories. Muscle burns more calories than fat, even when the body is at rest.
  • rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I do 20lbs lifting free weights 20 counts. My biceps are still not toned not happy. 70lbs with leg extensions 60lbs of the stomach cruches. I think I eat clean. End of this week I will have a full diary. Please check it out and give me ur advice.
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I definitely think so, I am 30 and really struggling to lose some lbs.
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    It's not just age that does it, it's the kinds of changes to our schedule and habits that really kill us as we get older. I know when I was in college, I was walking lots every day just in the natural course of getting from class to class and such. Now I've had a desk job for 10 yrs and having a FT job leads to less free time. Add to that kids if you have them and you have very little time left to do things for yourself or for physical activity. Try to build more physical activity into your normal daily life and that will help!
  • blm625
    blm625 Posts: 33
    Options
    its more to do with losing muscle and life style than age... I like Dr. OZ artical about Metabolism hope this helps

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/boost-your-declining-metabolism
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Muscle mass declines with time yes. But being less active is maybe a big a culprit. Becoming more active will boost that metabolism. Even after you stop an activity, the calorie burn rate stays somewhat elevated for a time. Bonus!

30?! Wait till you get into your 50's :-)
  • rita27ny
    Options
    What else can be done to rev up thr metabolism.
  • rita27ny
    Options
    If I dnt go to the gym everyday I gain 2lbs I do cardio 1.15 min and 15 min weight training.
  • allywilkes
    allywilkes Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I've definitely noticed my metabolism slowing down as I get closer to 30... COMBINED with a general change in lifestyle, that is.

I tend to look back to the "good old days" when I could eat what I wanted and not put on a single pound... forgetting that this was when I couldn't really afford three "proper" meals a day (so would skip one) and would go out dancing most nights! I think it's a combination of the two, really.

I've definitely noticed weight sticking to my stomach more than it ever used to, as well. Damn you, apple shape.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Age does contribute, but I think the major factor is inactivity. If you sit around all day for years and then try to go run like you did before, of course you are going to have problems. The same goes with eating. With inactivity comes muscle atrophy (believe me, I know) and decreased metabolism.