Would this batch of ingredients last 5 days?

I'm prepping my lunches for the week but I took pause because I wasn't sure whether I could prep 5 days of these ingredients:

- canned tuna
- fresh parsley
- diced tomatoes
- lemon juice
- Evoo
- salt and pepper

Yay? Nay?

Replies

• shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    I'm not sure what you mean here. It all depends on the amounts and if you really want to eat Tuna five days in a row. I wouldn't, regardless of how much I had on hand.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Is this a trick question? Not enough information to answer without knowing the quantities of he ingredients and the portion sizes you are assembling...

Or are you asking if the food will still be good 5 days later?
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Sorry. Yeah I'm portioning out to eat every day. Small batches of all those ingredients mixed together.
  • WinoGelato
    Ok but what is your question?
  • lorigem
    Will it last if I make it all today? Or will it go off on day 5?
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    The tomato will be pretty sad by Friday. Nothing will make you sick.
  • WinoGelato
    Um, I'm honestly not sure that isn't something I would normally eat. Are the tomatoes fresh or canned? That's what I would be most concerned about, the tomatoes. I'd probably try it and find out by Weds or Thursday if you think it will still be good and if you are tired of it
  • lorigem
    Thank you allyphoe!
  • lorigem
    The tomatoes are not canned. I eat the same thing for lunch ( change it up weekly). Just works better for me.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Those food items should keep for 5 days.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Three days tops for those ingredients. After that you risk food poisoning.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Not sure I would eat fish after it was in my fridge for five days.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    You couldn't pay me enough to get me to eat 5 day old tuna. Yuck!!
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    I would potion all but the tomatoes. Those I would cut daily, they will be awful sitting in there.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    edited December 2015
    I'm a lot less pedantic than most people about the length of time I leave stuff in the fridge before eating it, and even I say no way to 5 day old tuna or chopped tomato.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited December 2015
    Tuna should keep, but I doubt tomatoes would. Once you cut them up the juices will turn things into a soggy mess if it stands for too long, then it will start to smell funny after a while. I would leave the tomatoes out and cut them as needed.

A much better option would be to store everything in separate containers and just combine them whenever you need. It takes a few seconds. Cut the parsley and put aside in container, leave the tuna in the cans, combine olive oil and lemon juice and store. Then later as needed just open the tuna, add some parsley and vinaigrette, then dice just enough tomatoes for that meal. Shouldn't take long.
  • irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    It sounds like it would only take mere minutes to assemble this dish. Just make it fresh daily and it would taste so much nicer that way, not worth saving a few minutes just to eat potentially off food.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    irenehb wrote: »
    It sounds like it would only take mere minutes to assemble this dish. Just make it fresh daily and it would taste so much nicer that way, not worth saving a few minutes just to eat potentially off food.

This...
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    irenehb wrote: »

At the most, 2 days worth at a time. I agree, chop what you can ahead of time but assemble each day.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Why not just open each can on the morning or the night before? Chop the tomatoes fresh, it can't take more than 5 minutes and will be much nicer.

I prep my lunches the night before as I am making dinner. That way it doesn't take any extra time. I just do it in between stirring etc.