2 pounds a week?

Options
Ok now I've heard it for the millionth time, losing more than 2 pounds a week will kill you!!! No but in all seriousness it's beginning to scare me that I keep seeing it everywhere, knowing that I just started up again and lost 14 pounds in one month.

I literally can't help that without gaining weight, I follow my calorie goals on this app everyday and all and I refuse to gorge myself just so I won't lose weight... I'm 256 lbs now and I began a month ago at 270... I already struggle with eating properly to reach my calorie goal instead of eating the junk that everyone buys in the house that I live in.. I cannot afford to buy the best of the best. Any... Words on this?

Replies

• ragenhay1
    ragenhay1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You tend to lose fast when you first start. It slows down. In my first month I dropped from 220 to 205 in two or three weeks. After that it slowed down to about 1.5 lbs per week.
  • Obnoxa
    Obnoxa Posts: 187 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    You're fine. More than 2lbs a week is hard on the body; when you are pushing and depriving and grinding at it with not a large amount of weight to lose.
    When I started (in July 2015) I was 290lbs, I'm now 208 lbs. If you divvy that up we're looking at an overall loss of 3.5 lbs roughly per week. Some weeks the scale hardly budged; other weeks I'd woosh 5 or 6 lbs across a few days. It's slowing down somewhat now, because I have less mass and my body is more expectant of the eating and moving it has gotten the last six months but at no point did I skip meals, go to bed hungry, have ridiculous workout regimens or anything else that would indicate poor/unhealthy choices.
    Your body is rejoicing in the better lifestyle you're giving it; as long as you keep in mind that the quicker loss is a bonus and try not to force the same pace once it has tapered off a bit, you have nothing to worry about :)
    Good luck!
  • kdcomstock89
    kdcomstock89 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I saw somewhere it's safe to lose between 1% and 1.5% of your weight every week. Sorry I have no idea where I saw it.
  • bandnerd881
    bandnerd881 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Weight also does fluctuate throughout the day up to a few pounds. Salt and water intake, urination and bowel movements, and even eating a big meal all cause fluctuations in weight.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I saw somewhere it's safe to lose between 1% and 1.5% of your weight every week. Sorry I have no idea where I saw it.

Yeah, I think a percentage is more accurate than a hard and fast number. And I've read that the percentage depends on your body fat percentage, the higher it is the higher loss you can handle. I started at 227, down 35 at about a 2.5 per week pace, tho I eat to a 1.5 per week pace and the rest of the loss is exercise.
  • MissT895
    MissT895 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    A lot of that would be water weight so I would not stress. Have you taken your measurements?

Also it's safe in Australia to loose a kilogram a week which equals to about 2.8lbs. I would not stress. It may slow down. Weightloss always shows bigger numbers at the start, the hard part is the plateaus. That why it's good to go by measurements and clothing size. Even though you may not be loosing on the scales you are most likely still losing inches. Goodluck
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    With how much you weigh, it's really not an issue. Congratulations on the loss.
  • bmwny1
    bmwny1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I started at 213.5 and am now 198.2. I've been trying to lose weight for 33 days. I saw my doctor last week and told her about my plan an she said it was just slightly over average for someone eating 1200-1400 calories a day and working out 3-5 days a week. She said I was fine
  • GregPh67
    GregPh67 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Can't multi quote on my phone but thank you to those who were reassuring. When you read something and hear something like that over and over again it begins to scare you
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    You'll lose a lot initially if you have a lot to lose. Don't let it scare you. You will start to lose less and less as you start to get closer to your bodies standard weight. I'd be more worried about plateauing than your fast loss at this point as long as you're staying within you allotted caloric deficit and it isn't set too aggressively. I would recommend adding in a heavy lifting program to take advantage of your extra weight now and gain a little muscle to fill in the gap left by the fat loss. You'll thank yourself later.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you lose faster when you first begin/ have more to lose.

I would lose up to 5 pounds a week for a long time. Now im lucky to lose that in a month ;)
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    With me, it usually evens out. I was losing at a rate of about 1.5 pounds per week for about a year a while back. Some weeks I would gain 3 for seemingly no reason, and the next week I would lose 5. I've got an excel spreadsheet that I track the weight with and how many weeks, avg per week loss, BMI, etc. As long as the numbers average out, then I wouldn't worry about it just yet.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    MissT895 wrote: »
    A lot of that would be water weight so I would not stress. Have you taken your measurements?

Also it's safe in Australia to loose a kilogram a week which equals to about 2.8lbs. I would not stress. It may slow down. Weightloss always shows bigger numbers at the start, the hard part is the plateaus. That why it's good to go by measurements and clothing size. Even though you may not be loosing on the scales you are most likely still losing inches. Goodluck

A kilo is 2.2 lbs, unless your kgs are different somehow. OP, initial losses are often quicker due to shifting of water weight. Additionally, when you have more to lose, it will come off a bit faster at first. You said that you have a hard time reaching your minimum. How much are you actually eating?
  • TammerTammer
    TammerTammer Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Seriously, It can be dangerous. I lost about 60 lbs in less than 3 month (about 5 lbs a week) and I did have some serious serious problems that kept me in a hospital bed for 10 days. I almost died. My advice is listen to your body and if you think you are losing too fast just consult your doctor. DO NOT take chances. I know there are shows like the biggest loser and some people can do that BUT if you are not sure, just ask your doctor.
  • shadows2424
    shadows2424 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I heard the heavier you sre the quicker you lose weight. So sounds like things are going normally, and as was already mentioned this will likely slow down and even out the more weight you lose and with time.