Calories vs Macros, Which Is Better?

Options
Hello everyone! I committed to lose weight this year and I've lost 50 lb. so far by just counting calories. I don't remember how I came across macros, but now they're ruining everything. I have trouble eating even 1000 calories a day because I'm scared of going over my macros. This is with or without exercise. For example, right now I'm at 787 calories and I'm not really hungry but I know I should eat more because the healthy minimum is at least 1200 calories. Still, I would feel guilty because doing so would mean increasing my macros. They are 150g for carbs, 60g for protein, and 40g for fat. I don't really know much about macros (which is why I think I'm paranoid about them) so those numbers seem really high to me. Therefore, I always aim for less. (Today I ate: 106g for carbs, 32g of protein, 28g of fat) Am I wrong? How should I approach macros? Should I just focus on calories or macros or both? My goal right now is to lose weight. I do lift weights sometimes but I'm not really looking to build strength right now. I just want to lose fat. I know I said I used to go by calories alone, but finding out about macros makes it really hard to ignore them and go back to calories alone. Sorry for this long post, but I hope someone can help me out. I would really appreciate any tips or guidance. Thank you. :)

Replies

• reynarl25
    reynarl25 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert, and I don't know a lot about macros, but what you're actually consuming for macros is low. If you work out you definitely need more protien to recover your muscles. I would stay clear of counting macros until you speak to a professional. My cousin crossfits and only counts macros, never calories. And she eats,all the time . That being said her trainers provide her with a lot of knowledge and helpful tips.

I tried counting macros and got completely confused and a little defeated. Don't starve yourself. You may do more damage than good. Keep it simple. Hope this helps.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    Calories=weight loss, macros=nutrition.

Aim for at least .8 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass and .35 grams of fat per pound of weight. Let the carbs fill in the rest. Going over in one or two macros is fine as long as you're still in a calorie deficit.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Did you just sign up today? Try doing this a week, you'll relax. Just count calories. I go up to 200 carbs daily (don't watch it). I love beans and grains. Open diary.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I'm not a macro expert either but it really shouldn't be an either or thing. Your macro goals can be calculated as a percent of your total calories, or as minimum levels. Most people stress the importance of hitting a protein goal first, usually 0.6-0.8 grams per pound of total body weight is sufficient for women just focusing on weight loss and some basic strength training. After protein, a lot of people focus on their fat goal, and then carbs sort of fall where ever is left.

There are lots of others who may be able to give you more advice, if @ndj1979 is around he may be able to help.

I would also read the"helpful posts" threads at the top of each forum section. I think you'll find more good info in there.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Calories are king. If the macros stress you out, don't pay attention to them.

The macros (carbs, protein, fat) are where the calories come from. If you aim for lower macros, you'll end up with lower calories.

Carbs and protein have 4 calories per gram and fat has 9 calories per gram.

150 g x 4 cal/g = 600 calories from carbs (50% of 1200 goal)
    60 g x 4 cal/g = 240 calories from protein (20% of 1200 goal)
    40 g x 9 cal/g = 360 calories from fat (30% of 1200 goal)

As you can see, those are the values you want to hit for 1200 calories. You don't want to go lower, especially on protein.

Macros let you look at your calories and see what fills you up best. Some people feel more full if they eat a bit more protein and fat. Some are fine with the MFP default ratios. However, overall calories are the most important part for weight loss.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Macros carry a certain amount of calories per gram, so If you're so far under your macros no wonder you don't get in enough calories.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Macros are good for meeting minimums. You can't count calories through counting your macros and adding them to your caloric goals. Some labels are also incorrect on calorie counts which is why I prefer macros. Calories may be kind for weight loss, but I would rather count my calories using macros and receiving proper nutrition and macronutrient minimums, especially essential nutrient minimums
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Total macros=total calories. If you're under your macros you lad be under your calories. I prefer to set my macro goals as % of calories. I think MFP suggests 50% carbs, 30% fat, 20 % protein. I focused first on getting the calories right, then the macro %. If your percentages are set right, when you hit your cals and %, your macro grams will also be correct. Plus, I look at macros on a weekly basis. They tend to even out. If you're within 5% you're doing fine unless you have special dietary needs.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    All calories are composed of the four macros (fat, carbs, protein, and alcohol). Many on MFP recommend thinking of the protein/fat macros as goals instead of limits (meaning that you might shoot to consume at least 60g of protein and 40g of fat) and filling the rest of the day's calorie goal with carbs. Ultimately, what matters most for weight loss/maintenance is calories; macros are helpful for satiety (many find that they feel fuller when consuming a higher percentage of a certain macronutrient), gaining/maintaining muscle, and physical performance.
  • Adas81
    Adas81 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    you've lost 50 some lbs counting calories... so that's worked! basically don't fix what isn't broken ;)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Most people seem to find counting calories and largely ignoring macros works best. Maybe if sugar s higher than protein, it might be time to pay more attention to macros, but unless you follow a specific macro eating plan, most won't need to watch it closely.

For example, I follow a very low carb diet so I watched my macros to ensure my carbs were below 20g (<5%) and that my protein stayed around 20% of my day; protein is under 80g and fat is usually over 110g. For me, watching macros the most tends to work the best because it keeps me in ketosis, and when I am in ketosis my hunger is less. Most people don't eat this way so macro watching is not needed.

As long as you are getting to the minimums of protein and fat each day, and it looks like you are, then you probably don't need to watch your macros. If they bother you, maybe don't show them or adjust them way down. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, if counting macros stresses you out and counting calories worked (as it did), stick to what worked. Macros are about basic nutrition and being satisfied, but it doesn't sound like you were unsatisfied and there are better ways to focus on nutrition, like just being aware of your diet and choices.

It also doesn't sound like you understand what counting macros is about, as the MFP default is not better or worse than many other options and -- even more important -- when counting macros the goal is not to stay under, but to come close. Indeed, people usually set up their protein macro as a minimum and the amount of protein you mentioned (60 g) isn't that high, while your own total of the day (32 g) is really quite low and not ideal.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Track your macros, but don't obsess. Use it as a guideline to help you make food choices. For example, if you're low on protein and fat, you may opt for eggs over a bowl of cereal.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    Track your macros, but don't obsess. Use it as a guideline to help you make food choices. For example, if you're low on protein and fat, you may opt for eggs over a bowl of cereal.

^^ This.

Most people view macro goals as minimums...not maximums (short a medical reason to limit one or more of them)