Weightlifting Shoes vs. Chuck Taylors?

Options
I am new to weightlifting and have been wearing my running shoes for my lifts. I was told to change out my shoes to help with my form. Any input for what type of shoe a beginner weightlifter should wear?
s3g9e555sawl.jpg

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Either are fine for squatting, as is lifting in socks or going barefoot. I squat in lifting shoes and do everything else in socks.
  • summerdaze120
    summerdaze120 Posts: 425 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @jemhh what brand of lifting shoes?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Reebok Crossfit Lifter Plus 2.0. They were a big splurge/gift to myself. They're hideously ugly, to be truthful. Like orthopedic bowling shoes. Mine are purple and orange. But I really like them a lot. They were pricey but I'll be able to use them for ages.

• mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I wear my altra runners. They're zero drop, so basically a flat foot with cushion. I feel more stable and can really feel the push through my heels rather than the slide forward onto my toes.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I would say any flat shoe for squats or deadlifts. Running shoes tend to create a false platform and also prevent you from really forcing the power/ energy from the base of your feet through the entire lift. I usually go barefoot in socks, but chucks would also work(:
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I lifted in chucks for years and loved it. I had promised myself that I would get a pair of lifting shoes (Reebok crossfit lifter 2.0) when I fully rehabbed my injury. Basically, I wasn't going to switch into them and cheat myself from fully rehabbing, especially since tight hip flexors were part of my issue.

My first time benching in them I was in love. Just felt completely planted to the floor and in complete control off leg drive.

Squats im learning to love in lifting shoes. Part of it will be allowed to reload up past 65% and feel the heavier weight again.

Deads are chucks always.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I wanted to love my lifting shoes (Inov-8 Fastlift), but when I switched to them after 2 years of wearing chucks, my toes cramped during every wear. Idk what that was all about, but I went back to chucks.
  • utahmomof10
    utahmomof10 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have some Pendlay Do-Wins that I wear for squatting, overhead press, and Olympic lifting; and a pair of flat Tevas (very similar to Chuck Taylors) that I use for dead lifts. For bench press, I just wear whatever I'm already wearing. Barefoot/socks is also a very valid option. My husband does his dead lifts with no shoes on.

I would strongly recommend not wearing anything with cushioning, even if they have a zero drop. The cushioning not only makes your base less stable, but it also absorbs some of the energy from your lifting and can actually decrease the load you can lift.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    The benefits of weightlifting shoes are that they elevate your heel which keeps your torso more upright during squats and the soles don't compress under heavy load which gives you a stable base. The Nike Romaleos that you have pictured also have straps that let you strap your foot down tight to eliminate any lateral movement of your foot inside the shoe.

But if you're a beginner, it's not necessary to go out and drop $200 on a pair of Nike Romaleos.

Any regular flat, non-cushioned shoe works. A good, cheap option is the knock off Chucks they sell at Walmart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/FADED-GLORY-WOMENS-CANVAS-LACE-TO-TOE-TEST/36762552

They don't sell them online anymore for some reason (probably because Converse is suing everyone), but I usually see them in stores. They're $7 or $8 and for that price it's hard to find a better shoe.

I still think barefoot is a great option if you have your own home gym. I prefer it.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Just be aware that Chucks are very narrow. I tried even using a pair that was a full size bigger than normal and they were still unusable. Now I use my Sabot deadlift shoes for everything (very thin, no padding).
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I used to be a chucks guy, but got some adipowers over a year ago.

I do all my lifting in them now - even deficit deads. I might switch back to chucks for a few cycles to get some variation in a couple of months...
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm cheap so I'm currently using knockoff chucks from Wally World. They're about dead so after I kill the other pair of knockoff Chucks I have I might actually buy lifting shoes.

Or I might continue to be cheap.

I see I'm not the only one with wallyworld chucks. lol
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Running shoes are bad, because they compress and don't provide a solid foundation. As someone new to lifting, you should go with any flat shoe with no padding or even no shoes.

I don't see the point in buying belts, knee wraps, or lifting shoes unless you are competing or have been lifting for years and have gotten to the point where you aren't making progress and have a goal to lift as much as possible. None of those lifting gear items increase safety. I've considered buying those items, but ultimately keep coming to the same conclusion, that they don't really help my goals and therefore I shouldn't buy them.

I lift in LLBean slippers with hard flat soles, in socks, or barefoot. (I'm in my garage in very cold weather, so the slippers keep my toes from freezing).
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting out and not doing anything overly complex (e.g. no snatches or overhead squats) then a flat soled shoe is fine. If you want something that is good for running and lifting, check out inov8 flites, reebok nanos, and nike metcons. The nanos and inov8s you can get cheap online or at outlets. Metcons are expensive but probably the nicest all-purpose shoe.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Running shoes are bad, because they compress and don't provide a solid foundation. As someone new to lifting, you should go with any flat shoe with no padding or even no shoes.

I don't see the point in buying belts, knee wraps, or lifting shoes unless you are competing or have been lifting for years and have gotten to the point where you aren't making progress and have a goal to lift as much as possible. None of those lifting gear items increase safety. I've considered buying those items, but ultimately keep coming to the same conclusion, that they don't really help my goals and therefore I shouldn't buy them.

I lift in LLBean slippers with hard flat soles, in socks, or barefoot. (I'm in my garage in very cold weather, so the slippers keep my toes from freezing).

You may want to do a little more research if you think that belts, wraps or shoes don't increase safety. In fact, I would say that you just listed the top three wearable safety items when it comes to lifting.

That doesn't mean that everyone needs them or even has a use for them, but they are absolutely safety items and should be a consideration for any serious lifter who is trying to push themselves.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

You may want to do a little more research if you think that belts, wraps or shoes don't increase safety. In fact, I would say that you just listed the top three wearable safety items when it comes to lifting.

That doesn't mean that everyone needs them or even has a use for them, but they are absolutely safety items and should be a consideration for any serious lifter who is trying to push themselves.

Agreed, but they were responding to the OP, who is new to lifting and really isn't in that category.

OP, any flat shoes are pretty much fine. You don't need to spend a bunch of money on expensive lifting shoes.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

Agreed, but they were responding to the OP, who is new to lifting and really isn't in that category.

OP, any flat shoes are pretty much fine. You don't need to spend a bunch of money on expensive lifting shoes.

OP didn't ask anything about anything other than shoes. I think it was worth addressing though since the member said they don't provide added safety.

As for shoes, since you're new to lifting, find some Chucks (or off-brand Chucks) and stick with those for a while to see if you continue to enjoy lifting. I'd hate to spend $100+ on a pair of shoes designed specifically for weight-lifting just to decide later that I wasn't going to be that serious about it. At least Chucks can be worn with blue jeans and a tank top on the street.

Good luck OP!
  • summerdaze120
    summerdaze120 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    So, I ended up buying some Chuck Taylor's today and did some body weight squats....WOW! I could tell a huge difference from my running shoes; I felt more "grounded" and leveled. Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer my question :) I'll post a pic of my new shoes later if you're interested ;)
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Do you guys prefer low or high top Chucks?
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    Personally I love my low top chucks but I've never tried weightlifting shoes. I don't really intend to.