breakfast ideas quick and easy

Options
Hey fellow MFPers. I am looking for ideas for breakfast foods that are higher in protein and are either fast to make or are make ahead and grab and go in the morning. I cannot have any dairy and fried or greasy foods upset my stomach so I am looking for ideas that exclude the above. Thanks!

Replies

• nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Oats mixed with egg whites and nut butter, eggs and toast, protein bar.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Can you drink milk alternatives (coconut milk, almond milk, etc?) If so, overnight oats can be made ahead. I make them like this:

40 g rolled oats
    6 g brown sugar
    70 g frozen berries
    1/2 cup milk

Just put the first 3 ingredients in a container, pour milk over top, and stick in fridge overnight. Eat cold in the morning. I usually eat a couple of boiled eggs with it.
  • clairew931
    clairew931 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I make breakfast "cupcakes" a lot! So I use a cupcake tin or silicon mounds do fine too! Just not paper cases! Anyway, in each I put a little bit of cooked chicken, salmon, tuna or even bacon, sliced sausage, then add some chopped veg (personally I like green veg) then i a bowl whisk 6 eggs and about 1.5 cups of cottage cheese! Season and our the mixture into your cupcake moulds! Bake until cooked through!

Can be stored in the fridge or freezer! I tend to batch cook so make 60 at a time! And stores in the freezer! Then I just defrost as needed. Personally I like them warm so pop in the microwave for 15s before eating!
  • jarelary4
    jarelary4 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    That sounds great! I can easily leave out the cottage cheese and put cubed potatoes in. Thanks!
    clairew931 wrote: »
    I make breakfast "cupcakes" a lot! So I use a cupcake tin or silicon mounds do fine too! Just not paper cases! Anyway, in each I put a little bit of cooked chicken, salmon, tuna or even bacon, sliced sausage, then add some chopped veg (personally I like green veg) then i a bowl whisk 6 eggs and about 1.5 cups of cottage cheese! Season and our the mixture into your cupcake moulds! Bake until cooked through!

Can be stored in the fridge or freezer! I tend to batch cook so make 60 at a time! And stores in the freezer! Then I just defrost as needed. Personally I like them warm so pop in the microwave for 15s before eating!

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    My normal breakfast is a banana and one hard boiled egg which gives a balance of carbs and protein. It is also easy to carry, I stick it in my pocket as I go out the door.
  • arlie63129
    arlie63129 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You should try a daily probiotic - I have IBS and I'm lactose intolerant and my doctor told me to take a probiotic daily and since I've done this I can eat some foods that use to trouble my stomach.
    I can eat Greek yogurt, fruit, egg whites and cheese.
    Quick breakfast for me is a smoothie
    I use Almond Milk or Cocanut milk
    Frozen berry mix
    Plant protein usually Pea Protein
    Honey
    Cinnamon
    1 banana
    Put it in blender and in minutes I'm out the door and drink it as I head for work.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    My go-to quick breakfast is a multigrain hot cereal with frozen blueberries. Before I get dressed, i start the coffee pot and put the dry cereal, water, and frozen blueberries in the microwave for 3 minutes. By the time I'm dressed, breakfast is ready!
  • pilisangar
    pilisangar Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Oatmail is easy, fast to make it helps you to feel full for long time. You can eat it whit fruit. Also I recommend you a breakfast smoothie, consisting of blended oats, fruit and ice, can satisfy your hunger easily until lunch.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Ditto for oatmeal. I add blueberries (1/2 cup) and flaxmeal.
    Some fiber cereals are very good and easy.
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I cook a large batch of quinoa with water and use the pre-cooked quinoa for a lot. For breakfasts, I take 1/2 cup of the cooked quinoa, 1/2 cup berries, a scoop of pea protein, and a couple ounces of unsweetened almond milk. Mix it all together, and pop it in the microwave to warm it up. It is a ton of food, low in calories (it depends on what specific ingredients you use, but for me, it's about 250 calories), has a good amount of protein (again, it depends on your ingredients, but it's 15 g for me), and keeps me full for quite a while.
  • wdunnett1
    wdunnett1 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Quick high protein breakfast on the go:
    1 (large) mission carb tortilla
    2 eggs or 3 whites
    1 slice ham steak ( I get them at hy-vee will fill in brand name later)
    2-3 pinches of shredded cheese (mozzarella)
    Add diced tomatoes or other veggies if desired
    Boom
  • awholenewworld
    awholenewworld Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    For high protein, dairy free, and not greasy I would reach for oatmeal made with any fresh fruit you like in oats (I like berries or bananas) and nuts or nut butter with some chia seeds mixed in or two eggs cooked without oil and a side of fruit. Happy eating!
  • krystlebri247
    krystlebri247 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can take a small bowl of uncooked oats, add a tablespoon of creamy or chunky peanut butter, sprinkle with dried cranberries & cinnamon
    Pour boiling water over, mix well, let sit for a minute or two
    You can also poach an egg: fill a small sauce pan with water, bring to a simmer (were the bubbles are just starting to form and rise up) add a cracked egg , remove from heat and cover for 5 minutes (little longer for a cooked yolk)
    These are my two go to for a quick breakfast with a decent amount of protein
  • jarelary4
    Options
    Thanks so much! I have IBS too and I have cut so much from my diet that it is getting boring. I will try the probiotic and see what happens. For now any dairy is out of the question. I love smoothies so I will give that a try with almond milk.
    quote="arlie63129;34917936"]You should try a daily probiotic - I have IBS and I'm lactose intolerant and my doctor told me to take a probiotic daily and since I've done this I can eat some foods that use to trouble my stomach.
    I can eat Greek yogurt, fruit, egg whites and cheese.
    Quick breakfast for me is a smoothie
    I use Almond Milk or Cocanut milk
    Frozen berry mix
    Plant protein usually Pea Protein
    Honey
    Cinnamon
    1 banana
    Put it in blender and in minutes I'm out the door and drink it as I head for work.[/quote]

• jarelary4
    Options
    Thanks for the great ideas everyone!
  • rebeccaj822
    rebeccaj822 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Frozen hot and spicy veggie patties. The ones I use have 140 calories and 14 g protein in 2 patties. Pop them in the toaster. I put them on a whole wheat tortilla with a little salsa. Spicy!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal with protein powder and/or fruit, nuts, nut butter...
    I don't bother with egg muffins because they're too much work for me to track but I make crustless quiches with veggies, egg, whatever meat I have on hand, and cheese (that you can leave out). Can just cut a piece, weigh it, and microwave it in the morning.
    Or just a breakfast burrito with turkey sausage and egg, on a low carb tortilla (saying low carb because they usually have more protein and less calories)
  • TarahByte
    TarahByte Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Y'all are fancy. Most of the time I just have a little container of plain greek yogurt and add half a cup of frozen fruit. More fiber and less sugar than flavored yogurt. Even my dogs get a few frozen berries on their breakfast now.
  • appleg1rl
    appleg1rl Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorites are greek yogurt with PB2 mixed in and single serve cups of oatmeal. If I don't have anywhere to be in the mornings, I will make scrambled eggs with spinach and cheese, steel-cut oats with fruit and protein powder, or a breakfast sandwich with cheese, turkey bacon, and one whole egg.

I recently found this, and I would like to try it. She makes breakfast burritos and breakfast sandwiches then freezes them for a week. They sound good and healthy! Here are the links for both of those:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv85SBIPnP0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9SU3feBJ7c
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I also have Ibs. Probiotics sometimes made me worse or I sw no improvement so monitor your symptoms while taking them.

I eat a protein shake/smoothie (low fodmap fruit) for breakfast during the week. Occasionally I'll have a gluten free oatmeal and piece of gf toast. I do eggs and bacon on the weekends.