Trying a low carb diet

Options
Hello! I've had this app for a while but I haven't used it. My friend and I are going to try to do a low carb diet and keep up with our exercising. The problem that I seem to be falling into is that if I try to wake up early before work to exercise, I end up crashing so hard half way through the day that I can't function. If anyone has any tips on how to function when tired it would be appreciated. Or any ideas of when I could do my workouts that won't leave me wired before bed. Thanks and feel free to "add" me.

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I work out after work, like around 5pm . this way I'm not tired during the day .
    For What reason did you pick low carb?
  • sarahp924
    sarahp924 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I work out after work, like around 5pm . this way I'm not tired during the day .

That's just what she wanted to do. I know next to nothing about dieting and I have heard that it works.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    What are you doing for exercise? also please do your own research before trying something, low carb doesn't work for everyone and depending on what you are doing, your body will need the carbs. Be safe and best of luck.
  • sarahp924
    Options
    I do Shotokan karate twice a week for about 2 hours. It isn't as intense now that I am a black belt though because we always have to help people. I am going to try to walk everyday and pick a day or two to start weight training when we get home. I will look into the diet. What other kinds of diets are there? This is the only one I've really ever heard of.
  • zoeysasha37
    edited December 2015
    Options
    sarahp924 wrote: »

That's just what she wanted to do. I know next to nothing about dieting and I have heard that it works.

I was asking because some have medical conditions that warrant them to do a lower carb diet.
    I figured you knew nothing about dieting because if you did, you would've known why I was asking that.
    And PS, low carb would only work if the person was at a calorie deficit. ( any way of eating will work as long as the person has a calorie deficit)
    So, do you think low carb would give some type of advantage over just counting calories ? Do you think the person would lose more on a low carb diet ? Do you think carbs cause people to gain weight or prevent them from losing weight ?
  • sarahp924
    Options
    sarahp924 wrote: »

I was asking because some have medical conditions that warrant them to do a lower carb diet.
    I figured you knew nothing about dieting because if you did, you would've known why I was asking her that. Instead you answered a question that wasn't even directed at you .
    And PS, low carb would only work if the person was at a calorie deficit. ( any way of eating will work as long as the person has a calorie deficit)
    So, do you think low carb would give some type of advantage over just counting calories ? Do you think the person would lose more on a low carb diet ? Do you think carbs cause people to gain weight or prevent them from losing weight ?

Well, I know she has an insulin resistance problem which causes her to not eat a lot of carbs. I also know that carbs are my downfall. Pasta and bread are the things I love and the things I need to work on the most because of the sheer number of calories I am eating. I don't know that I am going to cut out all carbs like she will, but I definitely going to cut back. Does that make sense?
  • Pohudet
    Pohudet Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Oh, I am very impressed that you are a black belt in karate. That means you have the willpower to achieve anything! Low carb or any other diet, the trick is to stick to it.
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    It makes sense . since you don't have the medical issues she has, you won't have to go low carb unless you want to. I also used to have control issues around tasty foods! I didn't cut them out though. Instead I learned portion control and moderation. Get yourself a food scale ( the best 10$ ever spent !!) And start by just learning what your proper portions are. Then log everything here. ( food scale for solid, measuring cups for liquid) just by learning portion control and moderation, I was able to learn how to still eat the foods I love without eating too much !
  • sarahp924
    Options
    Pohudet wrote: »
    Oh, I am very impressed that you are a black belt in karate. That means you have the willpower to achieve anything! Low carb or any other diet, the trick is to stick to it.

Thank you! It took a little over 8 years and a lot of tears and hard work, but it is one of the things I am most proud of. And trust me, the sticking to it part is going to be the hardest. Especially with my family. None of them are very supportive and there is junk food all over the house. Temptation everywhere. As soon as I save up enough money I am moving out and buying my own groceries. Lol.
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    Before I got my scale I thought I was eating one serving of pasta ( I didn't know any better I was new ! Lol ) well after I got my scale, I realized it was really 4 servings !! Lol instead of the 130 calories, I was eating like 500 calories !
    So starting out by learning how to Use a food scale , will be a useful tool !
  • sarahp924
    Options
    It makes sense . since you don't have the medical issues she has, you won't have to go low carb unless you want to. I also used to have control issues around tasty foods! I didn't cut them out though. Instead I learned portion control and moderation. Get yourself a food scale ( the best 10$ ever spent !!) And start by just learning what your proper portions are. Then log everything here. ( food scale for solid, measuring cups for liquid) just by learning portion control and moderation, I was able to learn how to still eat the foods I love without eating too much !

That is a brilliant idea. Thank you so much! Over eating is a hard thing to overcome. It wasn't so bad when I was on my ADD meds but when they took me off I suddenly started eating everything. I'll have to look into a food scale.
  • myssjaxson
    myssjaxson Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't try to find a special "diet" to do. That just ends in a binge-eating disaster when the diet is over (I have TOO much experience with that, lol).

Carbs aren't bad for you, in the right amounts. They have a lot of calories, which I think is why most try to restrict theirs. A lot of the stuff that has carbs/a lot of carbs isn't good for you (not all, but a lot). So yeah cut down on those, but you have to restrict your calories, stop the junk food/soda/candy, eat veggies/leafy greens, fruits, drink lots of water. I know that is what everyone says, but there is no magic diet that will work long term, just be healthy.

I am totally gluten-free due to Celiac's Disease (I have an allergy to gluten) (gluten = most carbs (pretty much) and it hasn't done anything different for me but help my stomach pain. What has helped was when I started eating healthier and upping my exercise. A note, before I was diagnosed with Celiac's Disease I tried to do the low-card atkins diet thing, I dropped like 18lbs in 2-3 weeks but once it was over I gained all of that back plus 10lbs. It was h*ll too. Very difficult/impossible to maintain without running into walls or developing deficiencies.
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    It really truly is difficult. I promise you that it gets easier in time though. Look at it like this- this is a lifestyle change. From this point forward, its about a new lifestyle. Once you make these changes ( like portion control) a habit , it becomes a lot easier !
    For example, I used to be awful around cake. I didn't cut carbs because I knew I couldn't last forever without the foods I loved. I had to find a way to get a handle on my eating that would last forever. Not just a temporary diet. I still have cake all the time. But now I make sure it's the proper size portion and make sure it fits into my daily goal . so I can sti enjoy foods , I just can't eat the entire cake. In time, you'll get used to the correct portions and it doesn't seem like such a big deal. It isn't easy. I feel for you, because I've been there. But with work, it will get better..
    The reason any diet doesn't work long term is because people can't stick to it forever. I have nothing against low carb, but for me it isn't something I could do long term. I believe in moderation, not deprivation. But when you learn all the tools necessary for long term success, you have nothing to worry about. Anyone can cut calories really low and lose weight quickly, but what happens when they get to goal ? They haven't learned anything so go back to their old ways thus regaining the weight. But when someone takes the time to learn all about proper portions, enjoying foods in moderation and eating a healthy well balanced diet , then they can be successful for the long run.
    It really is Doable without going to extremes , it just takes some getting used to and a food scale:)
    If you want to do low carb, they have their own group on Here. I don't have a link but if you browse the group section you should find them. Just be warned, all you need for weight loss is a calorie deficit. Eat less then you burn. Low carb iant magic. The same rules still apply. They must eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight. So for me, it was just easier to eat the foods I liked instead of starting a diet that wouldn't be sustainable for me. I would've lasted a week and binged on a cake because I would've felt so deprived. Lol ! But with moderation, you can still have the cake, but within moderation.
    Either way, best of luck to you. Its certainly not easy at first. But you can do this!! If I did it, you can too !! PS - I'm 5'8/ 135 Lbs now and have maintained my goal weight for @2 yrs so far !