Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Count my calories??

Hello there!
I'm angel and I'm 20 years old. I've been obese all my life. When I was 18 I started taking care of my situation, and I've lost weight little by little. A good 60 pounds now. After that I've been on and off. But I'm still over weight. I used to be 275 pounds, then I dropped to 225 pounds, the lowest I've been is 215 pounds, but I get carried with the food and don't exercise as often due to work.
Anyways, I really want to count my calories. But the at-home-meals are so nebulous. Is there any recomendation on counting calories? Like any specific meals or such.? I would really appreciate it!
Thank you!!

Looking for friends to do this journey with. It is boring doing it alone lol

Replies

• Adas81
    Adas81 Posts: 19 Member
    just count up the ingredients individually... could be a pain in the *kitten* tho
  • Silpeanut
    Silpeanut Posts: 62 Member
    I agree with Adas81, also the recipe builder really helps. Feel free to add me, my diary is open and I find my MFP friends make this journey a lot easier . Good luck and stay strong!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Food you cook yourself are going to have the most accurate calories. You just weight out the raw ingredients and use the USDA database (which MFP has, search USDA when looking something up to find such entries) to calculate. Or if you're using an item that has its own listing, use that

So if a recipe called for

Ingredients:

1 medium head (about 24 oz) cauliflower, rinsed
    1 tbsp sesame oil
    2 egg whites
    1 large egg
    pinch of salt
    cooking spray
    1/2 small onion, diced fine
    1/2 cup frozen peas and carrots
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    5 scallions, diced, whites and greens separated
    3 tbsp soy sauce, or more to taste (Tamari for Gluten Free)
    I'd do something like this in MFP:
    mlfd1v2ug2pw.png

If the above was multiple servings, I'd weight the whole thing once cooked weight, I'd use the weight of a portion to figure out calories.
    So if the whole thing weight 300 grams, and I ended up eating 147 grams, I'd change each of those parts to 147/300 of the amount list in the picture (so 333.2 grams of cauliflower in this example).