Osteoarthritis knees/ knee relacements

Options
I'm trying to lose twenty pounds and get strong for a knee replacement in the new year. I have torn a ligament recently in my good knee. Does anyone have any cardio workout suggestions, not in a pool, that I can challenge myself with, and not do any further damage.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Have you considered strength training? I know that you will be limited, but strengthening your muscles will help with fat loss and will help you in recovery. You don't need cardio to lose weight, you need to eat less calories than your body burns. That can be done through diet alone. Cardio with a bad knee is generally limited to swimming or stationary bike. I have a bad knee and can't even use the elliptical due to the center of balance on them increasing torque on my knee.
  • mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    Recombant bikes are easier on the knees. Believe it or not, there are some ellipticals that aren't tough on the knees. I have one and it's my favorite go-to equipment. Adjusting stride and resistance also makes a difference. I have very bad knees and will need to have both replaced. Strengthening the muscles is tough when you can't do squats and lunges but there are some leg strengthening exercises you can do. I like to use ankle weights. Good luck!
  • springmancr
    springmancr Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you to both of you. I am already doing strength training too. I also use the elliptical and upright bikes for cardio. I think I need to do interval spurts to challenge my cardio
  • mountaingirl1961
    mountaingirl1961 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Cycling is great for knees as it helps keep joints lubricated. Recumbent is easier on joints but the key is to get your legs going with the movement. Get your doc to prescribe a round of physical therapy, you likely have some muscle imbalances going that he/she can help you address. He/she can show you appropriate exercises to strengthen muscles that your joint damage has likely weakened.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You need to rest your knee if you've got ligament damage
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend PT prior to replacement to target the specific muscles you'll need for recovery. My mom did it before her replacements (at age 85 and 86) and her recovery was awesome! She was the rockstar in the rehab facility.