Diet Soda

Options
Does anyone drink diet soda while following MFP and still lose the weight? It's zero calories (or close to it) so it shouldn't affect weight loss...right? I do not eat or crave sweet foods so it has no effect on making me eat any of that.

Replies

• KikiBerry
    KikiBerry Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I drink a diet soda from time to time and have had no issues with losing weight.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    It's the bulk of my fluids and I've lost over 50 lbs since July. They can pry my diet soda from my cold dead skinny hands. lol

10382200.png
  • zach121989
    zach121989 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have only been on MFP for 21 days but I have lost 7 pounds. Basically drinking diet soda with every meal. So that is encouraging. How long did it take you to lose 50 pounds!
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    . . . I've lost over 50 lbs since July.

July to December equals five months.

10382200.png
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I lost 160 pounds drinking about a 2-liter a day.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    zach121989 wrote: »
    Does anyone drink diet soda while following MFP and still lose the weight? It's zero calories (or close to it) so it shouldn't affect weight loss...right? I do not eat or crave sweet foods so it has no effect on making me eat any of that.

The way to think about it is, why would it stop you losing weight? Weight loss is simple science. If you eat less calories than you burn then you will lose weight.
    If you enjoy it, drink it :)
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I drink diet Pepsi and diet Coke all the time. I've lost about 25 pounds since August. Like you, I don't have a sweet tooth.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Regularly, and I've lost 21lbs.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Multiple cans of diet soda a day (the carbonation helps when I'm hungry because of a high blood sugar and don't want to eat anything until it comes down). Still losing weight.
  • zach121989
    Options
    That's great news from everyone. I've not been as successful as some of you losing 10 pounds a month but it's coming off for sure. Getting back to a decent weight will be huge for me. Thanks for the replies.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking diet soda for about 25 years. I drank it when I was gaining weight, drank it when I was losing weight, and still drink it now that I'm maintaining. It has zero calories so it wasn't the cause of any of those events.

Also 10 lbs a month is pretty aggressive and not an appropriate rate of loss for most people at greater than 2 lbs/week. You're doing fine OP. Keep drinking the diet soda if you enjoy it.
  • zach121989
    Options
    I most def will. I've been happy with three pounds a week and only expecting two pounds. It is working!
  • meddaugh67
    meddaugh67 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've lost 192# and drink 1-2 diet Cokes every day.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Every time I go out, I enjoy a diet coke. It hasn't stopped my weight loss or maintenance at all. Just remember- everything in moderation.
    I wouldn't suggest drinking 39 diet sodas in one day ,just like I wouldn't suggest eating all carrots everyday. Everything in moderation.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Drink at least 1 glass of water per day.
  • brianlundlarsen
    brianlundlarsen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Years ago I lost around 30 kg while drinking around 2 liters of Pepsi Max each day. Didn't seem to affect my weight loss negatively.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I pick up a diet coke from McDonalds after every trip to the gym. I try to drink more water throughout the day though, as I worry about over doing it with artificial sweeteners.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Drink at least 1 glass of water per day.

Why? You can get fluid from other drinks.

I almost exclusively drink Diet Coke and diet iced tea.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Caffeine leaches calcium out of the body in larger amounts.
    Also to give the liver a little break from all the artificial ingredients in a diet coke. Caramel color is one that bothers me a bit (just a personal thing.. no medical reason).
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I'm slurping on one right now. I like my Diet Coke at work in the afternoon.