Stomach fat

Options
Sometimes I feel like I am alone on this. I weigh 110 pounds and have stomach fat. I am 5 foot 4 and my waist measures at 26 and my stomach measures at 30 inches. Anybody care to share their measurements or pictures? I eat the recommended amount of calories... about 1300 but I do not exercise. I have become lazy.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    At 110lbs you're the bottom end of a healthy weight for your height. You only need a small deficit, and some strength/resistance training would probably help.
  • kaykaymichellee
    kaykaymichellee Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    What is a good beginners workout that is effective?
  • Kittyy1994
    Kittyy1994 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hi I have the same problem as you I am quite small and fit everywhere else except my belly fat!! So frustrating!!
  • Ifitfits
    Ifitfits Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You dont even need a deficit , you need to lift and eat properly . keep calories at TDEE and make sure protein is at 1g per pound of body weight . Many strength training programs online
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I just read a very interesting study about belly fat, in which waistline measurement was one of the outcomes. It turns out that higher intensity workouts affect that part of body composition (in the study population, anyway, which really wasn't thin folks). But pretty cool! It didn't have to be as intense as HIIT is described. But something like regular walking isn't intense enough. It had to feel kind of hard but sustainable for the workout time (30 to 60 minutes; I forget which).

Just anecdotally, I always go with weights and even dedicated ab exercises to get that area's muscles tight. I get a good inch or two lower quickly enough just from having the area tight underneath, fat or no fat on top ;) If you are already so thin, try to put on muscle all over, too. Then if you needed to lose any fat, you could afford to do it.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Ifitfits wrote: »
    You dont even need a deficit , you need to lift and eat properly . keep calories at TDEE and make sure protein is at 1g per pound of body weight . Many strength training programs online

I agree with this. Maybe a small deficit from TDEE along with lifting. Reducing belly fat/lower belly fat is very very difficult and takes a lot of hard work/time. You won't achieve it using normal or larger than normal deficits you have to get creative.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Oh, measurements or pics? I'm 38-28-38 at 5'6" and large-framed. I finally don't have much fat at all in my usual spots, but the measurements are a little big because it's truly how I'm built. I had to work hard on the weights to grow that hip size to 38", too!

Are you sure your measurements are bad for you? I mean, you can tell if it's solid or not. Some of us are just a little bigger (but built stronger when that happens, usually).
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    My recommendation is to lift heavy as well. You can start with stronglifts 5x5 program or something similar.
  • mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I feel like I am alone on this. I weigh 110 pounds and have stomach fat. I am 5 foot 4 and my waist measures at 26 and my stomach measures at 30 inches. Anybody care to share their measurements or pictures? I eat the recommended amount of calories... about 1300 but I do not exercise. I have become lazy.

You're not alone!! I'm 5'7.. 160lbs. My waist is 27in, and my tire belly is 33in. Womp. Unfortunately, it's all about a cleaner diet. Try cutting processed sugar, excess salt, drinking lots of water, lean proteins (egg whites), no soda or juice, etc. Also my coach is making me do a colon cleanse for this exact reason. Add me! Let's discuss and vent and motivate one another. :)
  • mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    mandeiko wrote: »

You're not alone!! I'm 5'7.. 160lbs. My waist is 27in, and my tire belly is 33in. Womp. Unfortunately, it's all about a cleaner diet. Try cutting processed sugar, excess salt, drinking lots of water, lean proteins (egg whites), no soda or juice, etc. Also my coach is making me do a colon cleanse for this exact reason. Add me! Let's discuss and vent and motivate one another. :)

Should also point out, I have a ton of muscle from 4 years of lifting. My measurements are 36-27-40 so I'm also quite curvy and I have a big frame. But my belly is the problem.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

It's not all about any of that, really. You don't have to eat "clean" to lose fat. And you certainly don't have to do a colon cleanse.

Echo the posters above who suggest a slight deficit and lifting.

ETA This is an excellent thread:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • ked081561
    ked081561 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I found a great app on my phone called JEFIT. Has every kind of workout imaginable. You might find one you like.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Stomach fat is actually the most common complaint people have about their bodies. If I were you I would look into a program like strong lifts or strong curves.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    It's not all about any of that, really. You don't have to eat "clean" to lose fat. And you certainly don't have to do a colon cleanse.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

+1

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

What reason? It isn't clear from your post and I can't think of any reason they would ask you to take it.

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,282 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

Thank you for being smart and addressing the bad information given!

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft2 and I started out at 157 lbs. I am now around 119 and I too have a tummy on me! :)

Sure, looking into progressive lifting plans will probably help tighten things up somewhat but the way I see it? I'm totally healthy now - loose skin/stomach fat and all.

For me, I've worked so, so hard to get to where I am and have slaved mercilessly in the gym 4 times a week for an entire year. I have tummy fat and it is what it is. I don't particularly want to lose anymore weight. If in time it flattens out a little - great. But I'm not going to let a little wobble here and there overrule my achievements to date. I love my body.

I'll bet you look fantastic
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Is your "coach" by any chance actually a MLM salesperson? Beachbody, Advocare, etc.? I'm guessing that they're 'kindly' selling this colon cleanse product to you, you know, to help you out? Personally, I'd run as fast and far as I could from any "coach" who advocated a colon cleanse to a healthy person, because they're full of...well, they're full of the stuff that passes through your colon.

"Eating clean" has nothing to do with losing fat. Eating at a sustained caloric deficit has everything to do with it.