When You Are Not Hungry....

Options
So its lunch time for me and I am not hungry at all.
Typically around 1pm I'm ravenous, but today I'm pretty satisfied. This is a first for me.
I've been back on MFP going full force since May 30th and I'm wondering with all of the healthy eating and exercise if my eating frequency will/has changed...Anyone else experience the lack of hunger and how do you handle it?

Replies

• tlynnweb
    tlynnweb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'd love to not be hungry!!! I find the more I work out, the more ravenous I am! Totally sucks.
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    If it's bothering me, or I know my body will need the nutrition later in the day, I have a snack, and wait until later to eat lunch.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Thats understandable...there are some days where Im SUPER hungry and then other days where I dont want to each much. Even though Im not hungry I try to drink some milk or force myself to have a snack so I don't go into starvation mode. I don't want my body to hold onto any foods so I try my best to eat or drink.:happy:
  • Kyokai
    Kyokai Posts: 11
    Options
    I have some days when this happens. But I still try to eat something small, like fresh blueberries, mini sweet peppers. The body adjusts to 'you' not you adjusting to the body - that is what a fitness trainer told me at the beginning of my journey. It is a positive thing that is happening for you! It means your body is adjusting to it's new path. :)
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Oh, I wish. I could eat everything is sight...............
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    If I'm not hungry I don't eat (that doesn't happen often). IMO you shouldn't force yourself to eat. Your body won't go into survival mode if you go a few hours without eating, it's when you try to sustain an unreasonably low calorie intake for a long period of time. We need to learn to listen to hunger cues, eat when you're hungry, stop when you're satisfied, don't eat when you're not hungry. I understand it's not that simple because we're emotional beings but generally speaking.... there is no reason to force yourself to eat.
  • Teeladog
    Teeladog Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone...try to eat a small something anyway. A lot of times, I am simply not hungry at lunch time but I know if I don't eat something then I am likely to clean out the fridge in the afternoon. For me, I usually eat a Luna Bar (Nutz Over Chocolate is my favorite) or some sort of trail mix (without chocolate in it). That fills me up for quite a while.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I do ahve days wehre I am starving all day and then I have days wehre I'm not that hungry. I try to eat a little something at each "meal time" so I won't go for the quick garbage food when I do get hungry. My attitude is my body knows what it wants/needs and when so I listen to it. THe past 3 days I couldn't eat enough! Now today I'm not that hungry at all.
  • pjol79
    pjol79 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am working out 6 days a week on the power 90 master series. I eat 5 or 6 small meals a day, and I rarely ever get hungry anymore either. Some days I find it pretty hard to even reach my calorie goal, but I make sure that I eat on the schedule I've set so I'm at least fueling my body in a consistent way, even when I really don't feel like it. To try to fix my calorie discrepancies I've been reading the boards looking for higher calorie foods (like nuts, peanut butter, etc) to add into my meals to help reach my calorie goal, but I haven't really been sweating the days I don't make it. I'm interested in hearing what other people have to say about this one :D
  • uniquesoul73
    uniquesoul73 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I am working out 6 days a week on the power 90 master series. I eat 5 or 6 small meals a day, and I rarely ever get hungry anymore either. Some days I find it pretty hard to even reach my calorie goal, but I make sure that I eat on the schedule I've set so I'm at least fueling my body in a consistent way, even when I really don't feel like it. To try to fix my calorie discrepancies I've been reading the boards looking for higher calorie foods (like nuts, peanut butter, etc) to add into my meals to help reach my calorie goal, but I haven't really been sweating the days I don't make it. I'm interested in hearing what other people have to say about this one :D

I have been working out 5 times a week and I also eat on a schedule 8am, 10am, 1pm, 3pm and 7pm...having the schedule keeps me honest with my food and keeps me consistent. For the past two weeks I have noticed that my hunger has slowly waned, which to me is good! Today however is the first time that I havent been hungry when my 1pm meal came around. I'm attributing it to my body changing to accomodate the changes I am making in my lifestyle.
  • NicLiving
    NicLiving Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    ...Anyone else experience the lack of hunger and how do you handle it?

I noticed that when I work out in the evening, I am no longer hunger. BUT when I wake up in the morning, I am starving!!!
    I've been known to eat my lunch for breakfast LOL. Since I've started my weight loss journey, I've been trying to eat all my meals between 7 a.m. & 7 p.m. So for now when I wake up hungry I have a GNC Lean protein shake with milk (instead of water) and a piece of fruit.
  • FabOma08
    FabOma08 Posts: 500
    Options
    If I'm not hungry I don't eat (that doesn't happen often). IMO you shouldn't force yourself to eat. Your body won't go into survival mode if you go a few hours without eating, it's when you try to sustain an unreasonably low calorie intake for a long period of time. We need to learn to listen to hunger cues, eat when you're hungry, stop when you're satisfied, don't eat when you're not hungry. I understand it's not that simple because we're emotional beings but generally speaking.... there is no reason to force yourself to eat.

I'm so glad to see someone else saying this. The only negative issue I have with this site is the constant push about starvation mode. Honestly, unless you're 5-10 pounds overweight, starvation mode really isn't an issue from day to day. If you spend 2 weeks eating only 600 calories a day, then yes, you're gonna have a problem. If I ate 1200 yesterday and today only 600 cuz I'm just not hungry, guess what? My body is NOT going to freak out and go primitive!! If you're not hungry, you're not hungry. Of course if you become ravenous 6 hours later it's up to you to still make good choices!
  • meparker56
    meparker56 Posts: 36
    Options
    When I first started to lose, I was never hungry! I felt so full I didn't even want to look at food! (lol~go figure) but my appetite did come back and I try to eat all my meals. sometimes it seems impossible to get all my calories, I try to get at least 1200, but no more than 1380. You shouldn't skip meals, but maybe eat something light like yogurt or a piece of fruit. :smile:
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Yoda says,” eat when you’re hungry, don’t eat if you’re not” carry on.