Diet Soda

Options
2»

Replies

• ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Caffeine leaches calcium out of the body in larger amounts.
    Also to give the liver a little break from all the artificial ingredients in a diet coke. Caramel color is one that bothers me a bit (just a personal thing.. no medical reason).

Which artificial ingredients in the Diet Coke cause liver problems?
  • BoaRestrictor
    BoaRestrictor Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I limit myself to one Coke Zero a day. Does not hinder weight loss. There are a lot of rumors surrounding diet sodas, there's nothing wrong with one or two a day. :)
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Not that it causes liver problems. Gosh no. Just little break from chemicals (personal thing... not medical).
    I think I should have never said anything.... I do not want to "steal" this thread.
    I'm a little older, and just worry a bit more than others.

Just ONE glass of water daily is a good thing in my book. I like to sweat when I work out, and it makes me feel good. I also worry about calcium since my scan showed low bone density. I also think that too much phosphorus could be bad for bones.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Caffeine leaches calcium out of the body in larger amounts.
    Also to give the liver a little break from all the artificial ingredients in a diet coke. Caramel color is one that bothers me a bit (just a personal thing.. no medical reason).

If it's "just a personal thing," then it's not a reason to advise other people.

As for caffeine and calcium,

"Caffeine-containing beverage consumption has been reported to be associated with reduced bone mass and increased fracture risk in some, but not most, observational studies. Human physiological studies and controlled balance studies show a clear but only a very small depressant effect of caffeine itself on intestinal calcium absorption, and no effect on total 24-h urinary calcium excretion. The epidemiologic studies showing a negative effect may be explained in part by an inverse relationship between consumption of milk and caffeine-containing beverages. Low calcium intake is clearly linked to skeletal fragility, and it is likely that a high caffeine intake is often a marker for a low calcium intake. The negative effect of caffeine on calcium absorption is small enough to be fully offset by as little as 1-2 tablespoons of milk. All of the observations implicating caffeine-containing beverages as a risk factor for osteoporosis have been made in populations consuming substantially less than optimal calcium intakes. There is no evidence that caffeine has any harmful effect on bone status or on the calcium economy in individuals who ingest the currently recommended daily allowances of calcium."

(from the abstract of 2002 article in the British journal Food and Chemical Toxology -- this is not my field, so I honestly don't know if it's peer-reviewed, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12204390)

Edited to delete part of my response, as I see others addressed it while I was posting, and JanetYellen has walked back a little from the earlier post. Leaving the article quote and cite, in case anyone is interested.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    It's official. I "stole" the thread.
    Forget the one glass of water a day thing - lol.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Not that it causes liver problems. Gosh no. Just little break from chemicals (personal thing... not medical).
    I think I should have never said anything.... I do not want to "steal" this thread.

Just ONE glass of water daily is a good thing in my book. I like to sweat when I work out, and it makes me feel good. I also worry about calcium since my scan showed low bone density. I also think that too much phosphorus could be bad for bones.

What is the mechanism by which too much phosphorus is bad for bones?
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I not only drink diet soda, I make my own diet soda syrups. As before, I drank diet soda during weight gain, weight maintenance, and now weight loss, and none of the above were affected by the diet soda.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options

One possibility for addressing this issue -- it may not be for you, depending on how advanced your bone density problem is -- would be to engage in more weight-bearing and resistance exercise, if you're not already doing so. Bear in mind I'm not a doctor and I don't know anything about your medical history, so you might want to consult your doctor to see if the risk of fracture from exercise outweighs the benefits.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    The main bulk of my liquid intake is lemon infused water but I also drink diet sodea and it has no affect on my weight loss.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i typically have at least one diet soda of some variety every day. spite zero is my current go-to LOL
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Four a day on average for me. Keeps me out of the cookies. I've lost 65+ lbs in the last year.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I bought a 2 liter of diet ginger ale today and I may or may not finish it by tonight.
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    My personal rule to encourage me to drink more fluids is that I have to drink a glass of water before I can crack open a diet soda.