What do you eat for lunch?

Options
2»

Replies

• jmconway1
    jmconway1 Posts: 29
    Options
    I eat chicken salad. I make it from the canned chicken and a little greek yogurt, celery, red grapes and dill weed, salt and pepper. Tastes great and I think its pretty cheap since its canned food. And then I add some nuts and an apple or something
  • crystalslight
    crystalslight Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom too. I was so happy to see this thread. As I was wondering the same thing.
    I usually go with some kind of sandwhich. Because I don't like to cook 3 meals a day (mostly because I don't want to clean up 3 meals in a day)LOL.
    I really like the natural peanut butter on wheat toast with raw honey (we have our own honey bees :). I sometimes eat some kind of fruit or carrots. I also like smoothies. They don't seem to make too big of a mess.
    Leftovers are GREAT but with my big family, there's hardly any left. On the skinnytaste website they had chicken rollatini. That heated up REALLY good the next day. Although we only had 1 breast leftover so I had to fight my kids for it LOL..
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I usually do sandwiches - ham, turkey or tuna with reduced sodium pepper jack on those 100 calorie sandwich thins. Try to avoid mayo/miracle whip and just use mustard. A few slice of turkey pepperoni adds a nice kick too.
    Eggs or tuna can be inexpensive if you find good deals.

If you like poulty, try roasting your own and pick the carcass (or even get those rotisserie ones from the deli - they can be fairly cheap) to give yourself enough meat to last for a while.

Also, just a bit of advice - try not waiting until your starving to eat. I know it sounds counterintuitive but I find that if I get too hungry, it's hard for me to get that satisfied (not full but close) feeling. I end up eating more in the long run.
  • sdgirl22
    sdgirl22 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm a salad fanatic, so on the days that I work I bring salads that are super easy to throw together. Some of my favs -
    *shrimp thawed in mrs.dash feista lime spice and 100 calorie pack of Wholly guacamole, with a bit of basil and lime juice
    * crab, avocado, and bacon bits with homemade ranch (if you make ranch from scratch with ff milk and low cal mayo, it's around 50 cals for 2tbs)
    *sliced grilled chicken with feta cheese and balsamic vinaigrette
    *tuna, olives, and ranch
    *grilled chicken, artichokes, feta, and hummus dressing (thin out premade hummus with 1tsp. olive oil and lemon juice)

Most of these are only 250-300 calories (except the hummus dressing salad... but it's sooo worth it).
  • katt742
    katt742 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Check out my diary! I usually have a lunchmeat or tunafish sandwich on low cal, light wheat bread with swiss cheese and mustard. A small salad with oil and vinager, and mini cheddar cheese rice cakes! Very filling and satisfying and pretty healthy! Cheap too...I shop at Aldis lol.
  • alannablue
    alannablue Posts: 13
    Options
    I eat frozen "dinners" every day for lunch. The healthy ones (weight watchers, etc.) are usually less than 300 calories a pop and some are really delicious, too! You have to watch for sodium, usually, but it's a small price to pay when I know EXACTLY how much I'm consuming, it comes pre-portioned, and they're pretty inexpensive, too, depending on how small your budget is ($2.37/meal for weight watchers at my local grocery store).
  • uniquesoul73
    uniquesoul73 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    typically I keep the healthy choice steamers (frozen entrees) at my office or I'm eating a wrap of some sort. I always keep whole wheat tortillas, tuna and baked chicken on hand. You can wrap those things up and have a quick lunch.
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    When my daughter was little, she loved what I called "Bunny Wraps". Basically, it's anything you would normally put in a sandwich, wrapped in a Romaine Lettuce leaf...closed with a toothpick. Usually tuna or egg salad made with FF mayo, add a little diced celery or scallion. Keeps the calories down and gets that good green stuff in them. I made it kind of a game...like we were bunnies. She loved it.

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I have been taking a salad, I get the bagged dole salads, and add a grilled chicken breast. It is good if you can plan ahead and make enough dinner to have leftovers for lunch. For a few weeks I have been making a crustless quiche on Sunday to take for breakfast, but you could have it for lunch just as well. It's pretty easy, just add the cooked ingrediants you like to a pie plate and cover with four eggs (blended with 1/2 cup egg whites and a little milk). Bake at 375 for 25-30 mins. I usually do mushroom and onion with ham/sausage/canadian bacon and at four servings it's less than 200 cals so you can add fruit and salad to round it out.
  • Julie252
    Julie252 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I work from home. My lunches include smoothies, tuna salad on rye crisps or on avocado halves, omelets or egg sandwiches, salads with leftover chicken or steak.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Today I had 2 stalks of celery with 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and raisins, a Babybell Light cheese round, and a mixture of 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt and 1/2 cup of Kashi Go Lean Crunch.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I don't eat an actual lunch. I find it much easier to get through the day by eating snacks spread evenly throughout my workday. I eat Kashi TLC granola bars, fresh fruit (usually apples and/or grapes), baby carrots, sliced turkey, unsweetened applesauce, fruit cups (the Del Monte no sugar added variety), and the occasional sugar-free Jello cup. I usually have 6 or 7 snacks, and the calorie total is usually 450 to 500.

I do NOT keep food at work, though. I have found this to be a recipe for disaster, especially when I get stressed. I bring only what I need each day.
  • DeniseGdz
    DeniseGdz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I eat frozen "dinners" every day for lunch. The healthy ones (weight watchers, etc.) are usually less than 300 calories a pop and some are really delicious, too! You have to watch for sodium, usually, but it's a small price to pay when I know EXACTLY how much I'm consuming, it comes pre-portioned, and they're pretty inexpensive, too, depending on how small your budget is ($2.37/meal for weight watchers at my local grocery store).

Me too!!!

I STOCK UP when Kroger has their $5 off 10 frozen dinners + my frozen dinner coupons!! With the money I save here I splurge on healthy extras! Hubby's loving the variety in the fridge & cupboard!! :happy:
  • chicpower1
    chicpower1 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom too and I soooooo know what you mean about waiting to eat. My favorite lunch takes less time to make than a box of mac and cheese. :happy:

It's a veggie sandwich made with a toasted Sara Lee mini bagel, 1 Tbs of fat free cream cheese (or the Weight Watchers whipped creme cheese which if FABULOUS) and thin slices of red bell pepper, cucumber, avocado, and red onion. Sprinkle a little bit of salt and pepper and OH MY is that a tasty sandwich! In fact, this is even a hit at church with the ladies group, even the one's who don't care to diet! I can make 24 of these things and they'll be gone within minutes.

Side items are 3/4 cup of baby carrots with 1 Tbs of ranch (I indulge and use regular instead of fat free), an apple, and a container of yogart if there's enough room in my tummy. LOL

Oh, and if you have a Walmart nearby and can get your hands on a newspaper with other store market ads within a reasonable driving distance (I know they honor up to at least 45 miles) then you can ad match. That's how I'm able to afford all the fresh fruits and veggies.
  • shelcof
    shelcof Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    When my daughter was little, she loved what I called "Bunny Wraps". Basically, it's anything you would normally put in a sandwich, wrapped in a Romaine Lettuce leaf...closed with a toothpick. Usually tuna or egg salad made with FF mayo, add a little diced celery or scallion. Keeps the calories down and gets that good green stuff in them. I made it kind of a game...like we were bunnies. She loved it.

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:

That is a GREAT idea!
  • shelcof
    shelcof Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm currently loving the Lean Cuisine Thai, Garlic Chicken, and Fiesta spring rolls. 3 rolls, 200 calories. All 3 varieties are SO full of flavor, it doesn't feel like I'm eating a low calorie food! Sometimes, depending how late and how hungry I am, I will add a Chobani yogurt or piece of fruit.
  • Lovelystrumpet
    Options
    Usually it's one of the following:

Half a can of soup with a wholemeal roll and a kiwi
    OR
    2 Ryvita originals with hummus, carrot sticks, chopped raw pepper, cucumber and lettuce with an apple
    OR
    Wholemeal wrap with bean salad, hummus or pesto with an apple or kiwi
    OR
    2 boiled eggs (whites only), avocado, lettuce, cucumber, carrot, and half a mango.
  • lanceconrad
    Options
    bump