Squat Hip Pain Help

Options
I have pain in my hip when I squat. It's there when I'm near the bottom of my squat. It's only on my left and is localized to aprox. 2" below the point of my pelvis bone. I squat in flat sole shoes similar to chuck taylor's. The pain is there no matter how much weight I'm squatting, Empty bar up to my 5x5 work weight of 215lbs. I've noticed the pain is not there/less intense if I squat with elevated heels. Any insight?

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a strained hip flexor. I had this and it was because I neglected proper stretching. I lost almost a month of training over it. You have to let it heal or the pain will never leave; ice, ibuprofen, and hip flexor stretches.
  • coryrood
    coryrood Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    What can I replace squats and deadlift with while I let the hip flexor recover? I've been doing the warmup prescribed in sl5x5. Any recomendations for stretches?
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Stretching:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQmpO9VT2X4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lweGAM9vBH4

I was still able to deadlift since it didn't cause pain; only back squats did. Looking back at my training diary, it looks like I did goblet squats with a 10# dumbbell. The wider stance didn't seem to aggravate my hip flexor. I also worked on my form doing body weight squats so that when I went back to back squats I wouldn't re-injure myself. So far, so good.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Pigeon pose, lizard pose, and couch stretch are three exercises that can open up your hips significantly. Foam rolling and using a lacrosse ball/softball will help open things up as well.
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Go see a chiropractor, if you have an imbalance in your hips or back that could be affecting your knee. I have very tight hip muscles pulling my hips out of alignment with my spine (i apparently stand with my *kitten* out, who knew). Exercising for years without knowing what was wrong (2 physios only looked at my knee, didn't see the problem with my hips) means my knee started having issues with lunges and meant i couldn't run or bike occasionally due to the pain from under my patella (scraping against the joint) and little toes started to shift inwards. I had to give up several sports (changed to new ones) because the pain meant I couldn't twist my knee (no basketball etc). All this means all my power is in my legs, NONE of it is coming from my hips (glutes not engaging at all, all others are very weak). Chiro has started straightening me out and giving me exercises to strengthen my hip muscles. 3 sessions has already made a massive difference, I can now lunge and don't shift my hips to the left on squats, knee pain is far reduced. Chiro is well worth the money if you want to make sure you're not storing up lots of trouble for 10 years down the line (or 20 in my case! 15 of that with recurring knee issues).
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I had the same pain last week. Over Christmas a family member (& former pro footfall player who's in amazing shape) showed me some mobilty streches with those Rogue bands. I feel a lot better, no pain today after squats.

http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-monster-bands
  • dwolfe1985
    dwolfe1985 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I used to get pain in my hip flexor everytime I squatted any appreciable weight. Look up limber 11 it will help build your mobility then you will be able to squat pain free if you do it daily.