Ladies over 50!

Options
Hello ladies!!
I'm 50.. Just Over 200 lbs and needing help getting and keeping motivated to eat healthy and get moving. Before the holidays I started to cut out sugars and lowered carbs. Felt great. Had fasting blood tests and my numbers were good. I want to keep it that way and get better. My husband is pre diabetic and gas high BP and high cholesterol. Since I have none of this I want to help him as well. I just had elbow surgery so exercise for me is limited for 3 months. No lifting, pulling etc. I bought a vivofit2 so I can encourage myself to get up and move. SO I want to do this. Question is will I stay committed. Help?!?

Replies

• fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Buy a stationary bike for cardio. You can do it at home and exercising regularly will keep your head in the game. Weight loss is a calorie thing though, so log all that you eat and set your weight loss for a pound a week and you'll lose 50# this year. If you set it for 2# a week you'll probably get too hungry and splurge on junk food. Just my opinion. Stay below your calorie count, be honest with logging, don't overestimate your calorie burn (especially from MFP) and you'll lose. Read these boards daily to keep going, as you will slip up and get frustrated, if you're human that is. Welcome to a new way of life!
  • glt4006
    glt4006 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Atesar. I applaud your honesty and guileless appeal for help. One of the most elegant things we can do as mature adults is admit our perceived shortcomings and seek assistance. Anyhoo, here's what's helped me so far:

I'm "almost" vegetarian. I don't know how attached you are to meat, but in case you've considered vegetarianism (or near-vegetarianism) and think it a realistic possibility for you, I'm here to say it absolutely works. Initially I wasn't doing it for weight loss. I just one day realized: I don't even much like meat. I'd been eating it out of habit. Like most folks, I was busy and meat was quick & convenient. I mean, there's a take-out chicken store every other block.

I eat fish because that's my weakness. I tell myself it's for the Omega 3's but it's more because I simply like it. I won't go on and on about vegetarianism (or pseudo-vegetarianism), but if you want any tips or advice about it, let me know. Bottom line: Without even trying, within 3 months I lost 20+ lbs just by dropping chicken & beef, and taking the stairs (which I HATE) at work 3 months before I retired.
  • angietes2u
    angietes2u Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your words of encouragement and ideas glt4006 and fiddle time. I will definitely stay in touch with these forums and hope for the best. I have to say I wish u could do the vegetarian thing but there are only a few veggies I like. I do try to eat plenty of those and salads though as well as the less sugary fruits and stick to sugar free things for snacks. I do not eat much red meat other than hamburger and anymore unless it's an actual burger I usually substitute ground turkey for any ground beef in my meal prep. Otherwise I eat chicken and pork and white fish. I have shellfish allergies so seafood is out for me and fish in general doesn't normally appeal to me.
  • missybraden
    missybraden Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I too am in the over 50 and just over 200 pound group, and I just started with the VivoFit2. atesar, I am going to send you a friend request also. Maybe we can support each other. I am so-so about tracking my food and using MFP, but trying to slowly get better about using it as a support tool and for accountability. We can do this!