Crushing Sugar Addiction

Options

Replies

• Rabidrunner
    Rabidrunner Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You know what the most frustrating thing about these threads is? It's all based on each individual's opinion. There is conflicting evidence out there - some people take available evidence and form an opinion that sugar is NOT addictive. Some people take available evidence and form an opinion that sugar IS addictive. Others might be on the fence having not found sufficient evidence to form a conclusion.

There's no need to tell people that their opinion or belief is wrong on a subject like this..... Sure, tell them that you believe that they are wrong and your own opinion is supported by your own researched facts. That's someone's opinion and they're entitled to it after the burden of proof has been met in their mind. This is an ongoing area of research which means that even the experts haven't reached a consensus. So it's laughable to think that a forum has answered this question in its entirety. Just because the overwhelming majority on this particular board has formed a consensus on this particular topic doesn't mean that every single one of these threads should be a crusade to evangelize the myth of sugar addiction.

Sure, there are a bunch of people on here who may be quite intelligent and have done a lot of research on the subject but I'm sorry, none of you are true experts in the field or medical professionals. You're all just random people on a forum.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    For those interested in a really productive discussion about these topics that occurred some time ago, I suggest reading through this thread. There is plenty of science, robust discussion, and lively debate - albeit somewhat cleansed in order to keep it pristine enough to remain active in the forums.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10226257/food-addiction-a-different-perspective/p1
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Dette1 wrote: »
    Does anyone else out there want to destroy their addiction to sugar? I have started my journey and I am looking for tips and connections from those who have succeeded in ending their addiction and those who are working through it like myself. I find there is an emotional, psychological, physical need to have sugar and my path to end it has been rough though I am only into it a few days. I would like to say I am in this for weight loss but really it is all I can do to go day to day and eliminate sugar meal by meal.

Logging everything, the good, the bad and the ugly has helped me curb overeating foods with high sugar content. Definitely not something that is cured overnight. I suspect I will have to log forever to keep it under control.

What has NOT helped is not being able to discuss this subject in these forums or being ridiculed for wanting to discuss it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    The behavioural addiction you have to highly palatable foods is very easy to understand and empathise with ..I'm pretty sure all of us who were overweight got there because we enjoyed our food.

It takes willpower, commitment and potentially behavioural modification cues in order to overcome your current habitual food and lifestyle choices to ones which feel natural bring pleasure but maximise your health and physical confidence

I have to agree it is not sugar per se but the combination with fats and other foods into deliciousness like cake, cereals etc which gives you both anticipatory pleasure, entices the taste buds and gives you momentary pleasure ...does that matter? Well partly because speaking of a food addiction brings out those who have read and absorbed the scientific studies and unfortunately those who have watched those ridiculous mockumentaries and believe them as truth so we get endless boredom of threads

You can rewire yourself...it may take initial elimination, it may take just simple moderation with a focus on forming other pleasurable but healthier food and lifestyle habits

• mathanmor76
    mathanmor76 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry so many people got tangled up in whether or not sugar is physically addictive, I agree with kshama, it feels like what addictions sound like. Would dependency be a better word? According to WebMD caffeine isn't addictive but you can become dependent. But, IGNORING that discussion entirely because that wasn't your question. I have had luck in reducing cravings for sweets by using kshama & kmictchall's ideas of restricting high sugar foods a bit at a time. I also significantly reduced simple and processed carbs like potatoes, corn, non-whole grains, etc. and replaced them with broccoli, cauliflower, and whole grains. By replacing them I was able to nearly eliminate them fairly quickly. I have also been working to increase water consumption to a half ounce per pound of body weight per day. This is in addition to any other liquid I may consume. I feel like that also helps and it has the added benefit of getting me up from my desk during the day (going to the restroom) and I feel like my joints don't hurt as much when I'm well hydrated. It took a couple of weeks with the restrictions but I found that I had much less trouble avoiding m&ms and other sweets. As kmitchall noted, I fell off the wagon over the last few weeks and am now having the cravings again. But I'm back at it and am confidant I will be able to reduce the cravings again. I'm trying not to "eliminate" any food because I love sweets, pasta, cheese, etc., etc., and past experience has shown that I can loose weight by eliminating these foods but I can't sustain that long term. But by tracking with MyFitnessPal I can control portions and choose when I want to indulge, and usually do it in small bits, so that I don't have side effects. I've lost 90 pounds this year and have added 15 pounds of muscle and significantly improved my metabolism by going to the gym. So I have proven to myself that whether sugar is addictive or not I can control cravings for it and make good choices and progress.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    For those interested in a really productive discussion about these topics that occurred some time ago, I suggest reading through this thread. There is plenty of science, robust discussion, and lively debate - albeit somewhat cleansed in order to keep it pristine enough to remain active in the forums.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10226257/food-addiction-a-different-perspective/p1

Thanks, I'm off to read it!
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Does anyone else out there want to destroy their addiction to sugar? I have started my journey and I am looking for tips and connections from those who have succeeded in ending their addiction and those who are working through it like myself. I find there is an emotional, psychological, physical need to have sugar and my path to end it has been rough though I am only into it a few days. I would like to say I am in this for weight loss but really it is all I can do to go day to day and eliminate sugar meal by meal.

This is my story and my advice. I had a really well thought out answer that didn't load because the discussion was briefly closed due to the mods needing to intervene. The gist of it: When I started MFP I thought I was addicted to sugar as well. Now I have to laugh at myself because I finally realized, after a year, this was not true. I was in the habit of buying sugary drinks and food, I wanted them because that's what I was used to eating. I wasted so much time within that year trying to restrict myself, only to lose a couple pounds and put it back on when I binged. I dabbled in moderation during this time but never fully implemented it.

Now I am half way into my 2nd year at MFP, I started to fully moderate instead of restrict. Moderation is not a shortcut that most people are looking for- you will learn A LOT about yourself that you would rather have hidden, you will be emotional, you will have very bad days and even weeks, you will want to give up...but don't, it gets easier. Lost twice as much weight in a couple months than I did with a year of restricting. I didn't gain the ability to moderate food overnight, it took me almost 1 and a half emotional years to get it right. I still have a bad days, but I'm no longer chained to food how I was when I started MFP. You are right when you say you have to take it one meal, one day, at a time.
  • Test_Ryder
    Test_Ryder Posts: 231 Member
    Options

This is my story and my advice. I had a really well thought out answer that didn't load because the discussion was briefly closed due to the mods needing to intervene. The gist of it: When I started MFP I thought I was addicted to sugar as well. Now I have to laugh at myself because I finally realized, after a year, this was not true. I was in the habit of buying sugary drinks and food, I wanted them because that's what I was used to eating. I wasted so much time within that year trying to restrict myself, only to lose a couple pounds and put it back on when I binged. I dabbled in moderation during this time but never fully implemented it.

Now I am half way into my 2nd year at MFP, I started to fully moderate instead of restrict. Moderation is not a shortcut that most people are looking for- you will learn A LOT about yourself that you would rather have hidden, you will be emotional, you will have very bad days and even weeks, you will want to give up...but don't, it gets easier. Lost twice as much weight in a couple months than I did with a year of restricting. I didn't gain the ability to moderate food overnight, it took me almost 1 and a half emotional years to get it right. I still have a bad days, but I'm no longer chained to food how I was when I started MFP. You are right when you say you have to take it one meal, one day, at a time.

This is absolutely true. Moderation is key as well as trusting your own body to tell you when it's hungry and when it's had enough food. I believe only a small minority of people who go on diets and achieve their goals actually keep it off, the rest of the dieters will gain the weight back and some simply because of this restriction mentality that dieting promotes. Nutrition is not a fixed state of affairs it's constantly changing bad weeks, great weeks ect. I'll be interested to know who honestly things they can count every calorie they eat from now till their elderly years and maintain a happy life.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

This is fabulously stated.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

This is absolutely true. Moderation is key as well as trusting your own body to tell you when it's hungry and when it's had enough food. I believe only a small minority of people who go on diets and achieve their goals actually keep it off, the rest of the dieters will gain the weight back and some simply because of this restriction mentality that dieting promotes. Nutrition is not a fixed state of affairs it's constantly changing bad weeks, great weeks ect. I'll be interested to know who honestly things they can count every calorie they eat from now till their elderly years and maintain a happy life.

I'd put better odds on long term calorie counting and eating all foods in moderation than I would cutting out large swaths of food like "sugar" for success and happiness in the long term...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options

There are some foods, like peanut butter, that I have been able to moderate, pretty much effortlessly. With foods like Oreos, M&Ms, Girl Scout Cookies, etc, I'm better off just not having them in the house. I also did poorly at moderating all the treats I received for Christmas, and after a few days of this, gave the remainder to my brother. Unfortunately, I got more treats yesterday. Ay yi yi yi.
  • Test_Ryder
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

I'd put better odds on long term calorie counting and eating all foods in moderation than I would cutting out large swaths of food like "sugar" for success and happiness in the long term...

I agree I don't believe in cutting out any form of food, that's restriction and we all know what that leads to... Binges. I reckon that's why most people on any form of eating plan never succeed.
  • Test_Ryder
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

There are some foods, like peanut butter, that I have been able to moderate, pretty much effortlessly. With foods like Oreos, M&Ms, Girl Scout Cookies, etc, I'm better off just not having them in the house. I also did poorly at moderating all the treats I received for Christmas, and after a few days of this, gave the remainder to my brother. Unfortunately, I got more treats yesterday. Ay yi yi yi.

I also had that predicament in terms of cakes and biscuits. I was unable to moderate those foods too until I started asking myself 2 questions before I ate the whole packet. Why am I eating this & Does this hurt or harm my body. It was a tough process but that helped massively.
  • melodyb7
    melodyb7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have recently been going through the same thing. I have every side affect in the book when it comes to giving up sugar, headaches, irritability, muscle weakness, red eyes, and cold extremities. But after about a month I'm beginning to see the other side. To help get away from the physical addiction of sugar I cut out all carbs and even diary for about 2 weeks (anything that has or turns into sugar) So nothing would raise my blood sugar and trigger a sugar binge. I used advice from Dr Mark Hyman and his recipes to "detox" from sugar. It cured me from food sensitivity, tiredness, digestion problems, and arthritis pain. Hope your still doing well, don't feel bad if you fall into eating sugar sometimes, especially with it everywhere this time of year. The most important thing is that your eating nutritious meals most of the time. But if your like me, sugar might make you an emotional mess. I have lots of veggies, lean protein, nuts, and berries sometimes. I'm just now starting to add beans and whole grains like wheat and rice. Good luck and good job!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

Kudos to you!

I just want to underscore the importance of the hard work one often needs to do in order to be able to deal with their behavioral issues with food.

The first step in being able to do that is to understand that the issues you're having with food are behavioral though. And that is why I find this endless back and forth on addiction so incredibly frustrating. Anyone who thinks they're supporting someone else by saying, "Yes, you poor thing, sugar/fat/bread/whatever is just so addictive" is doing nothing helpful in the long run. Believing in foods as addictive substances (a notion that science does not support), and -- more to the point -- treating individual foods like addictive substances is simply putting a band-aid on a gaping wound.

The underlying behavioral issues will still be there, festering, waiting to manifest and cause issues.

We all have had our reasons for over eating. It does not matter WHAT we overate. What matters is finding out why we overate and addressing that within ourselves. It is only when we are truly ready to accept that the reasons lie within and we're ready to do that hard, hard inner work that we are really on the road to overcoming our issues with food.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options

Check out Candida.

• Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I can't see your food diary.
    Are you tracking sugar?
    It's really not hard to break the drive to eat it. You can break this in three days. If you track it, and keep it at 15g/day or less, and also track your carb intake, keeping it at 79g/day. Try it!

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    n0iucf984ixv.jpg

Have you read the Community Guidelines recently? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

This discussion has been substantially cleaned due to violations of the below guideline. Please be aware that violations of ANY of the above linked guidelines will result in warnings.
    2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts

Once again, I would like to remind everyone that the OP did not ask for the definition of the term 'addiction'. We all know that this is a highly contentious topic here - as well as an incredibly personal topic for most. What the OP asked for was advice from folks who have found themselves in a similar situation as her regarding how they handled things.

If you would like to discuss the definition of addiction, please feel free to start your own discussion, rather than taking someone else's request for advice off-topic.

Happy New Year,
    JustSomeEm
  • Dette1
    Dette1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice and direct messages, 5 days in and I feel amazing - not completely free but each day the choices get easier. Also seeing a weight loss which is a pretty alright motivator :smiley: I've received some great tips from new friends who have been there and can relate. Cheers to a healthy 2016 everyone~
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice and direct messages, 5 days in and I feel amazing - not completely free but each day the choices get easier. Also seeing a weight loss which is a pretty alright motivator :smiley: I've received some great tips from new friends who have been there and can relate. Cheers to a healthy 2016 everyone~

If it works for you, that's all that really matters. Personally though I don't worry about sugars much, there are a lot of sugars that just add up to essentially dead calories that could have been avoided. There are carbs I like just as much, and never had any desire to eat a whole box of at once either.