10 lb Christmas gain!

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I followed an everything in moderation diet to lose weight and an everything in moderation to maintain ...I consistently log ..I overate on Christmas but experienced no weight gain (not being smug but it was interesting)

I wonder how much of these massive short term gains are due to carb loading when previously low carb or additional sodium

I would imagine a huge amount of all weight gain is just that ..water weight ...get back on the horse and keep drinking liquids

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    My scales show a gain of several pounds this week, which I was completely expecting. I went over my calorie goal on 3 days, and was under a few days. I did loads of exercise, and I'm happy that I didn't over eat to a ridiculous amount, and I drank plenty of alcohol. Apart from New Year's Eve , when I will probably do the same again, I am back to eating and exercising as I was before Christmas Eve. But just out of curiosity, what do people mean about a lot of their weight gain being water gain? And that this will go quite quickly. Still fairly new to all this, so I'd like to understand what this means.

Excessive sodium or carb intake will cause a spike in water weight. There are other reasons that can do this as well (hormones, increased exercise, stress).
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    My scales show a gain of several pounds this week, which I was completely expecting. I went over my calorie goal on 3 days, and was under a few days. I did loads of exercise, and I'm happy that I didn't over eat to a ridiculous amount, and I drank plenty of alcohol. Apart from New Year's Eve , when I will probably do the same again, I am back to eating and exercising as I was before Christmas Eve. But just out of curiosity, what do people mean about a lot of their weight gain being water gain? And that this will go quite quickly. Still fairly new to all this, so I'd like to understand what this means.

Your scale weight can fluctuate fairly dramatically for any number of reasons - some of those are actual fat gain/loss and some are basically water retention. There are also a lot of things that contribute to water retention - increased carbs, sodium, time of month, hormonal changes, etc. When initially starting a low carb diet - a lot of people experience a huge woosh of loss on the scale and attribute that to magical success from going low carb, when in actuality a big portion of that is water weight lost from reduction in carbohydrates, but it tends to normalize in a few days. Similarly, if you eat a high sodium meal (meat lovers pizza, mexican food, chinese food, etc) - you often to see a big spike on the scale the next day or so which leads people to believe they've totally blown their diet. If people are patient, and either keep weighing, or wait a few days after such events to weigh, they would see the normalization.

I almost always weigh 2 lbs more on Monday mornings than I do on Friday mornings. The weekends are when I go out to dinner, or indulge in extra treats at home. I know this is the case, and so it doesn't bother me at all when it happens.

I weighed 119 on Dec 18th, the lowest weight I've been since college. I weighed 124 on Dec 25th, and there's no way that I gained 5 lbs of actual fat in one week, I would have had to consume 17,500 cals above my maintenance level, which didn't happen. This morning, I weighed 122.5, even though I've continued to indulge, just not as heavily, so things are starting to normalize. By Friday the 1st, or more likely Friday the 8th, I expect to see what the true impact of the holidays are, and I don't expect it to be more than 1-2 lbs gained. Hardly a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Sounds like you've got a healthy outlook on it - so just keep plugging away!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    so 35,000 calories over in one day..sounds legit...
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Same thing here. Put on 4 lbs and there is NO way I ate that much. Things are settling now. Lots of hiking so should be fine in the next day or so. Christmas yummies with loved ones... worth every minute. Especially because I can know (with confidence) what will happen if I follow the min-calorie load prescribed by MFP. Lovin' MFP. Looking forward to the next few months and losing 50lbs before I turn 50!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I went over on calories on Dec 25 and 26. But didn't really go crazy, nor did I eat anything I wouldn't normally eat. The "overage" was wine calories mostly. Though I did get some jerky in my stocking. It probably had a crap ton of sodium as it was "commercial".
    I worked out on Christmas, and have each day since. So the scale should normalize in a day or so.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Many people in this thread don't understand how weight fluctuations work. Nobody legitimately gains ten pounds in a few days of "bad" eating unless they ate around 35,000 extra calories in those few days. Water weight due to sodium, TOM, and other factors can drastically change the scale. I started the week at 114.4 pounds and now I'm 116.8. I know I didn't gain 2.4 pounds and by next week I'll even out.
  • sarahredhaira
    sarahredhaira Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Really interesting comments. Thanks for taking the time to explain.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    Many people in this thread don't understand how weight fluctuations work. Nobody legitimately gains ten pounds in a few days of "bad" eating unless they ate around 35,000 extra calories in those few days. Water weight due to sodium, TOM, and other factors can drastically change the scale. I started the week at 114.4 pounds and now I'm 116.8. I know I didn't gain 2.4 pounds and by next week I'll even out.

I don't know about many people, I think most people responding are explaining that it is impossible to gain 10 lbs from a day or two (or even a week) of indulgence and that it is likely water weight which will normalize in a few days and thus nothing to beat yourself up over.
  • Cynthiamr2015
    Cynthiamr2015 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I am still under my 5 pound gain for the holidays and today I did a big workout so by the end of the week I should be close to what I gain when the holidays started. I will be adding more exercise routines to my routine for the next year. I am now at the level that I was at when I stopped trying to lose weight. I am aiming for 175 then I will lower it again. :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »

Actually, most of the folks who posted seem to understand fluctuations quite well.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm sorry but you would have a hard time gaining 10 lbs in a month. You would have to eat like Christmas Day every day for about 30 days straight to make such a big impact.
    I would say 75% of us on MFP are slightly up at the moment. And 90% of us understand that water, sodium, glycogen replenishment, hormones & gut transit account for the high numbers...
    But for the drama junkies who love to feel special, have at it! 'Wow you are so BAD! How can you live with yourself?!'
    Gah!!!!!!
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I wonder how much of these massive short term gains are due to carb loading when previously low carb or additional sodium

I would imagine a huge amount of all weight gain is just that ..water weight ...get back on the horse and keep drinking liquids
    I am certain my 5 lb gain over two days is mostly water. I ingested an enormous quantity of salt in comparison to my usual low sodium intake. Chinese food on Christmas Eve and ham on the day. I am hoping some is due to carb loading too. I am losing rapidly as I flush out the excess.
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I am up about 10 lbs from my last weight in about 2 weeks ago, but like others have said I ate what I wanted at Christmas and I enjoyed every bit of it. I know I didn't eat 35000 calories and I know I didn't have as much activity as I would on normal days.

Today I am back on track eating high protein and lower carb foods, cleaning out my body with good ol water. I have my 35 week check up with my Mid-wife on Wednesday and I'm hoping I can flush out some of the sodium and maybe it will only be 5 lbs in two weeks...

Even still, none of that negates the fact that this is a life style now and instead of having a fit over this little gain I'm going to get back on track and continue to treat my body with care.
    Not sure what day exactly I started on MFP but I know it was exactly this time last year, even being 8 and 1/2 months pregnant I am still down about 50 lbs from this time last year and that is something I AM SO PROUD to say I have done and will continue to do.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I gained 5 pounds due to sodium overload rofl

But already back to my lowest weight ( this morning) and it seems there is even some losing coming up...( when i see how fast my weight snapped back).

Fluctuations are normal and i had some more salty food and Margarita's lol
    Nothing extreme or huge amounts. Just a normal nice dinner and snacks and some booze

It was a nice Christmas and would do it all over again.

So off we go to the New Year ( some tequila waiting in the cabinet :) )

95069916.png
  • hookahbinx
    hookahbinx Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    hookahbinx wrote: »
    I was up 7 lbs. Started at 208 ended at 215. Only 2 days of eating badly. I took water pills to get rid of the bloating.
    I'm now back down to 207.

You have to be careful with diuretics. It can lead to low potassium.

I know. Thanks :)
    I've been eating bananas
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Same here but this is now post-Christmas so let's take hold and try and get back on track. At least we are not alone - it was worth it wasn't it?!?
  • Mosiak
    Mosiak Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I did well this Christmas, I was expecting some water weight since I ate a bit of smoked and salted pork and lamb over the holidays, I did manage to stay clear of chocolates and drank very little alcohol and when I stepped on the scale yesterday morning I had lost 2.2 lbs since the Sunday a week before so I am quite satisfied with that.

As people have already said, Christmas food is usually very high in sodium and fiber and everyone should expect at least 2-5lbs of water weight maybe more.

I think one would have to eat like a hippo to gain 10lbs of fat in just a couple of days haha, and I honesty doubt thats humanly possible.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I tried so hard to be good, but Christmas Eve and Christmas Day were epic fail. Holy peanut butter balls, am I glad it's Monday and I am back at work.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Enjoyed everything I wanted. I'm up about 4lbs but expect it to be gone in a few days to a week. The water weight thankfully comes back off pretty quickly. Back to the gym tonight and back on track with my eating today. Another guilt free lapse planned for NYE but that's okay, too.