Shorty needs help with nutrition (BBG)

Options
I'm 5 1' weighing 145lbs. I'm trying to get down to 135lbs with more muscle ( toned up) My weight now is mostly in my legs ( muscle) I workout 5/6 days a week doing high intensity cardio/ weight train( burning about 300-500 calories) I'm currently eating only 1,200 calories.. Should I start eating more on the days I workout? Just would like some advise. I'm also doing the BBG nutrition plan as well.

Replies

• dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • katelynmccloy
    katelynmccloy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    dhimaan wrote: »
    Yes

If so by how much?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Eh, honestly... with your height and current weight i think it's probably fine to stick at 1,200. By sticking to 1,200 your calorie deficit is already pretty small.

If you're referring to the Bikini Body Guide I wouldn't really consider this "weight training" but more of a HIIT style workout. It is only supposed to take 28 minutes, so i think the calorie estimate you think you're burning is a little too high. Maybe 300-350, but wearing a Heart Rate Monitor should give you a better idea.

In any case, my opinion would be to track your food and continue on with your plan. Re-evaluate as necessary.

• siluridae
    siluridae Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eat back your exercise calories.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Yes, eat back 50-75% of the calories you are burning through exercise if you are logging those burns using MFP's database.
    The weight training is listed in the cardio section, but as it is harder to estimate the burn you may have to play with your calories a bit to keep losing at the goal you chose.
    Because you are petite, with little to lose a goal of .5lb a week would be appropriate.

Speaking as one petite to another, it is important to eat back exercise calories as our deficit is usually MFP's minimum calorie requirement if 1200. If you don't eat back your exercise calories now, you will have no calories to adjust as you get closer to your goal and your body, being lighter, needs fewer calories.

Just as an FYI- I am also 5'1 and went from 130- 100lb eating 1200 cal and 175cal extra for 60min exercise. This gave me a 1lb a week loss for the first 8-ish lb. then .5lb a week or less for the rest.
    I maintain now (6years) at 1200 cal, incredibly sedentary, and 1400-ish when active and exercising. I don't count calories very often now that is why I am a bit vague.

TLDR: eat back exercise calories your body needs to fuel your burn. MFP has already accounted for your loss so you won't gain.

Cheers, h.
  • katelynmccloy
    katelynmccloy Posts: 49 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Eh, honestly... with your height and current weight i think it's probably fine to stick at 1,200. By sticking to 1,200 your calorie deficit is already pretty small.

If you're referring to the Bikini Body Guide I wouldn't really consider this "weight training" but more of a HIIT style workout. It is only supposed to take 28 minutes, so i think the calorie estimate you think you're burning is a little too high. Maybe 300-350, but wearing a Heart Rate Monitor should give you a better idea.

In any case, my opinion would be to track your food and continue on with your plan. Re-evaluate as necessary.

No I do the BBG workouts plus my own weight training workouts.. Example:
    Monday:
    Kettle bell squats
    Flat bench dumbbell
    Front raises

Leg extensions
    Include dumbbell
    Side delts

Leg press
    Flys
    Rear delts

I do all 3 sets 4 times ( circuit training)

I will weight train Monday Wednesday & Friday. Tuesday and Thursday I'll do HIIT ( running elliptical for 30-60 mins) I'm on week 1 of BBG and I just do that for extra cardio ( calorie burn) I use a Fitbit HR so I know I burn 300-500+ when I workout :) I think adding the 200 extra calories on days I do a lot of cardio will help. Thank you
  • hannonmak
    hannonmak Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The easiest way I've found to determine my calorie allowance is by googling BMR calculator and figure out your base daily caloric burn (without workout), the number calculated is the amount of calories you need to eat to maintain your weight. I've heard having a 200-500 calorie deficit is the easiest to maintain if you are looking to lose weight, so once you add in you workout calories you can see where you're at. Some of the online calculators will help do this for you. Honestly the number usually seems a lot higher than expected, but just trust the system it works!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    @mkreke BMR is your basic metabolic rate. That is the calories you need if you sleep for 24 hr a day.
    MFP calculates your BMR ads your NEAT ( non exercise activity thermogenesis) to it, then subtracts the amount of calories you need to achieve your weekly deficit.
    One then adds in exercise calories and eats a portion back. No need to find a site to calculate BMR.

Cheers, h.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    If you are following the BBG nutrition plan you should be eating 1600 calories a day as that is what the meal plan provides. If you follow the plan correctly it will give you the best results.
  • wdunnett1
    wdunnett1 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    For intense workouts with weights and circuits you should definitely be eating more on training days. Period. Without enough food and nutrients for your body you won't get as much out of your training which will be more benficial with proper nutrition. To stay lean (or toned) you need plenty of carbs and protein for recovery when you train. Its off days or rest days when carbs should be kept lower
  • hannonmak
    hannonmak Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    @middlehaitch Thanks! I didn't realize that
  • KKishaA
    KKishaA Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Question: Why are you bringing this question up? Are you eating and accurately logging 1200k a day, following the schedule you outlined, and you are not getting the results you would like? Or are you exhausted? Or so hungry by the end of the night that you binge and blow whatever deficit you may have had? Of its the binging at night scenario, definitely eat a little more or add a protein snack before dinner to prevent that.

We are all offering our opinions here, however, in the end what matters most is your results. Estimated calorie burn and calories consumed are just that - estimates. Use them for guidance but your results win over calculations, hands down.

That said, as a fellow shorty, when I am not losing, it's usually because I am consuming more than I think I am, or I'm burning less than I think I am.

Good luck girl!