Can't lose weight?!

Options
Hi guys; I'm an exbulimic (now 3 months bulimia free) and I'm really having trouble losing weight. It seems as though I am constantly hungry and I can never go lower than 138. Also, I find it very hard to stick to a diet for more than a week. It's as if my body denies the low cal lifestyle /:

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    All bodies don't like the low cal lifestyle. It's not optimal in life. Of course it's not going to be deadly to have a minimal deficit, but the body does not want to maintain that deficit. Are you hitting your macronutrient minimums and receiving proper nutrition?
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Focus on good nutrition for your body to heal. Protein and fiber. I opened my log, and it keeps me accountable.
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Being an exbulimic, you're used to eating large quantities at a fast speed (I'm assuming). So it'll take time to retrain your brain and slow down your eating habits. 3 months is very commendable, but it'll take more time.
  • Kyrenora
    Kyrenora Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on your recovery! I've been there and I know it's not easy. What are you doing for exercise? Increasing your number of calories burned will allow you to eat a little more, but PP is right - if you were eating large amounts before, your body may need to adjust to a healthier amount.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    No way in the fiery depths of Mordor am I giving weight-loss advice to someone who is only barely "in recovery" from an eating disorder.

You say you weigh 138lbs. How tall are you?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1575987-eating-disorder-resources

You need to get professional advice, please read these links and good luck to you x
  • CriticalHike
    CriticalHike Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    No way in the fiery depths of Mordor am I giving weight-loss advice to someone who is only barely "in recovery" from an eating disorder.

I weigh 150 and I am 5'5". I understand why you would be wary
    About giving me advice... But trust me, going back to bulimia is the last thing I want to do.
  • CriticalHike
    Options
    http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1575987-eating-disorder-resources

You need to get professional advice, please read these links and good luck to you x

Thank you!! I'll definitely check out the link
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    3 months out really isn't far enough away from your ED to seriously try to be losing weight. You really need to be in touch with your recovery team, and if you don't have one, then get one. At the very least, talk to your Dr before you start trying to lose weight again.
  • CriticalHike
    Options
    Kyrenora wrote: »
    First of all, congratulations on your recovery! I've been there and I know it's not easy. What are you doing for exercise? Increasing your number of calories burned will allow you to eat a little more, but PP is right - if you were eating large amounts before, your body may need to adjust to a healthier amount.
    Right now I'm working full time and don't really have much time to exercise (plus I am exhausted when I get home)... Moreover, I work at Domino's and it's hard to eat healthy with so much crap available 24/7.
    You said my body needs to adjust to a healthier amount... How would I go by that?
    Thanks for your reply
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    3 months out really isn't far enough away from your ED to seriously try to be losing weight. You really need to be in touch with your recovery team, and if you don't have one, then get one. At the very least, talk to your Dr before you start trying to lose weight again.

this ..

OP - please talk to a professional.
  • Kyrenora
    Kyrenora Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Kyrenora wrote: »
    Right now I'm working full time and don't really have much time to exercise (plus I am exhausted when I get home)... Moreover, I work at Domino's and it's hard to eat healthy with so much crap available 24/7.
    You said my body needs to adjust to a healthier amount... How would I go by that?
    Thanks for your reply

Set your goal on MFP to maintain your weight and try to stick to the caloric intake it gives you. Stick with that for a while and give your body time to heal.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options

About giving me advice... But trust me, going back to bulimia is the last thing I want to do.

You are in the healthy weight range for your height. 138lbs (which you seem to be complaining you can't go below) is on the lower end of the healthy weight range. You're demonising foods as "crap" or "bad'. See why I'm concerned?
  • oxyJ3N
    oxyJ3N Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I recently had a baby about 5 months ago, and I am having a hard time losing weight as well. I exercise, and watch what I eat. But all I seem to be doing is maintaining my current weight. I am unsure how to break the plateau. Is it just hormones? Has my metabolism just slowed incredibly? I've never had much of an issue before. I could gain or lose however I wished.
  • Angellaree
    Angellaree Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough calories? What kinds of foods are you eating? Congrats on the recovery.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    If working at Dominos is a problem start working on a change in career.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Hi guys; I'm an exbulimic (now 3 months bulimia free) and I'm really having trouble losing weight. It seems as though I am constantly hungry and I can never go lower than 138. Also, I find it very hard to stick to a diet for more than a week. It's as if my body denies the low cal lifestyle /:

Do check back with your treatment team.

Meanwhile, how aggressive is your weekly weight loss goal? Try putting in a goal of 0.5 pounds per week and see if that gives you adequate calories.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options

You are in the healthy weight range for your height. 138lbs (which you seem to be complaining you can't go below) is on the lower end of the healthy weight range. You're demonising foods as "crap" or "bad'. See why I'm concerned?

Agree. Not wanting to do a behavior isn't a failsafe against doing it. Ask anyone who is addicted to drugs or alcohol. Please, we really are trying to help you. You need to be careful not to trigger your ED again.