Got a lot to lose

Options
Hello. I found this app on my phone yesterday, and I'm already in love! I'm 38 years old with a wonderful husband and 2 kids, ages 8 and 3. I'm from Little Rock, AR. I want to lose around 240 pounds. Yikes! Writing that number is hard, but it's the truth. If anyone out there has a long journey like me, please send me a friend request. Or if you are a generally positive person who likes to motivate others.
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Hi there. Here's the great thing... you're seeking out support and information. That's an excellent first step. And you've come to a great community that will pay a lot of dividends in terms of meeting like minded people, education, tools, etc. What's also great is the more you have to lose, the easier it is, physically speaking. The psychology of it can be an entirely different ball game.

If I could make one suggestion that I promise will give you a lot of mileage...

Focus on baby steps. Distance per stride isn't the goal. Consistent strides are where it's at.

You can do this. In a year from now you can be an entirely NEW YOU if you truly commit to this change. And two years from now an even better new you.

I'm rooting for you!
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    Welcome, and you've come to the right place! We all have a journey, and some have a shorter one than others, but they all start with a commitment to change, and the promise of a new you!

The forums are great for support, ideas, and to make new friends, and there's always someone to cheer you on if you hit a rough patch. Good luck!
  • hmm33502
    hmm33502 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm friend requesting you now! You can do this. I originally had 168 lbs to lose and have lost 47. It takes focus and dedication, but it can be done. There are lots of success stories in the boards for motivation!
  • shesnotthere
    shesnotthere Posts: 117
    Options
    Welcome !
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    Great post Stroutman81! I agree, baby steps are the journey to sanity. I focus on 10 lbs at a time....5 lbs more lately. It's much easier to look at the journey this way. Feel free to friend request me if you'd like. Welcome!!!
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I have 130 pounds left to lose and I would be happy to help you out in any way I can! Welcome to MFP. If you commit it really does work! Congratulations on making the decision to change!.
  • babscooper
    Options
    Hi! I just got on today also. I had gastric by-pass surgery 6 years ago and lost 109 pounds. Over the past few years it's been creeping back on - so I'm up 37 pounds. My journey is continuous - but I know I have the tools to get back into control. I know the routine. More exercise; less food. My major problem is snacking. That's why it's so good for me to track everything that goes into my mouth. If I don't - I'm into a 500 - 600 calorie snack! Good luck to everybody else out there - I'm rooting for you all - myself included. We can do this!
  • sbrown6
    sbrown6 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! There are so many amazing success stories here and many people have lost 100+ lbs. The folks here are so supportive. Please feel free to add me as a friend! A little support can go a long long way.

check out this forum post with lots of before and afters. It really motivates and inspires me! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/244570-before-and-after-pics-please
  • meeshu1976
    meeshu1976 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Well, all I can say is that you definitely found the right app!!! Welcome to MFP! You will make plently of new friends on this site and they will help you when needed but more importantly, they will be here for you no matter what. I believe you will succeed in your goals. It will take time, but you can do it!
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Hi there. Here's the great thing... you're seeking out support and information. That's an excellent first step. And you've come to a great community that will pay a lot of dividends in terms of meeting like minded people, education, tools, etc. What's also great is the more you have to lose, the easier it is, physically speaking. The psychology of it can be an entirely different ball game.

If I could make one suggestion that I promise will give you a lot of mileage...

Focus on baby steps. Distance per stride isn't the goal. Consistent strides are where it's at.

You can do this. In a year from now you can be an entirely NEW YOU if you truly commit to this change. And two years from now an even better new you.

I'm rooting for you!

What he said! Good luck and YOU CAN DO IT!
  • neonpink
    neonpink Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Hi welcome to the site, you will find so much support and motivation here. I started with 135lbs to lose and so far im 65lbs down almost half way :) and I could not have done it without this site !! I am sending you a friends request.
  • sars_68
    sars_68 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    You can do this - and this is the place to start!! Everyone is so supportive on here.

Good luck

:smile: :flowerforyou: :smile:
  • KnottyJen
    KnottyJen Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Hello! Welcome to MFP! It's a great tool and there are so many supportive, helpful people here. Really try to take advantage of this awesome resource!

I, too, have a LOOOOOONG journey. But we've taken the first steps and that's where it all begins! :-) Sending you a Friend Request right now!
  • ribbit2937
    Options
    Welcome! This site is a great place to start... it's really helped me to be more honest with myself, while understanding that the support of others is important too. Feel free to send me a friend request and I'll help cheer you along!!

-K
  • mnskagirl
    mnskagirl Posts: 9
    Options
    WELCOME TO MFP!!!
    I just wanted to say it's not about the number you need to lose, it's about YOU!!! I am glad that you have joined the team and I wish you nothing but a wonderful journey to the NEW YOU!!!! Blessings to you and your family!!!!!! I too have a very long way to go, but am so happy that MFP is here to help me with each step.

Sending you a request!!!!
  • sarainpdx
    sarainpdx Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Good for you for signing up. I found this site referenced in an article on the Livestrong website. Funny how things just find there way to you. I love it. I like how easy the database is to search. It makes tracking your food really easy. I've already had some success the first two weeks in, so will you! I'll send you a friend request, I'm in this for the long hall, beyond the weight that I need to lose... I don't want to gain it back one day and have to start all over again. Hang in there and we'll do this together!