Squat Form Check (Video)

Options
Any input on my form for squats would be greatly appreciated.
I know I have areas of improvement, but how do I improve them? What should I be doing to correct my form? Do I need to drop the weight?
https://youtu.be/F91dRjKXhRk

Replies

• utahmomof10
    utahmomof10 Posts: 133 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm admittedly no expert, but the thing that sticks out at me the most is that the bar path is traveling in front of your ankles. You need to focus on keeping the bar going in a straight line up and down, staying over the center of your foot.

okdom62cfspe.png

A few cues to help with this would be:

- Focus on keeping your weight on your heels. If this is difficult, it is likely you have some mobility issues in your ankles/Achilles tendon, so some good stretching of that may help. Another option is to get some lifting-specific shoes, or prop your heels up on some thin plates while you lift.
    - Concentrate less on your butt going back and shoulders going forward, and more on the bar going straight down. Your hinges will behave accordingly, and it will look a little different for each squatter as we all have different hinge proportions. Don't worry that your knees will end up past your toes. That is a misconception; you're not going to mess up your knees. Just make sure your knees are tracking over your toes (if your toes are pointed out slightly, then your knees should follow those same lines; I hope that makes sense).

Hope this helps. Happy squatting!
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I see three issues:

1. Your feet are collapsing and knees are caving in.

2. You don't appear to be bracing properly.

3. Your weight is coming onto your toes.

I'd focus on 1 and 2, then see how #3 responds.

To stop your feet/knees from collapsing, first thing you should do is ditch those running shoes. Why? Well squatting in a cushioned shoe is like squatting on top of a mattress, and you wouldn't want to squat on top of a mattress because it's unstable; you'd rather squat on top of a solid surface. Luckily you have a home gym so you can go barefoot.

Your feet are the base of your lift. A collapsing foot is an unstable base. An unstable base is an unstable squat. So try to keep your entire foot planted on the ground by thinking of your foot as a tripod:

pfoottripod.gif

I recommend you read this for more info, it's where I got the picture from: http://tonygentilcore.com/2015/02/passive-vs-active-foot-squatting-performance/

He covers the topic in more detail and has a good video that demonstrates what you should be doing. And just as importantly what you should NOT be doing, such as exaggerating pushing the knees out.

2. You're not bracing properly. If you look at your video, at the 45 second mark it looks like all you're doing is actively throwing your chest backwards as you suck in air. That is not how you properly brace your core/spine.

Watch this video and practice, practice, practice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_StSjmX1BOg

You can search for Chris Duffin Core Bracing on Youtube to find some more in depth videos about core bracing if you want. I find that Duffin rambles on too much at times though which is why I linked you to that video which is more concise.

I'd suggest you just focus on those two things for now because IMO they are the most important things in a squat.

• Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I agree about your shoes. I see you rocking onto your toes. Flat shoes, like Chuck Taylor type ones or barefoot, since you work out at home.
  • summerdaze120
    summerdaze120 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    @Sumiblue @walterc7 and @utahmomof10 thank you so much for the insight! Your input has helped me tremendously with what I needed to focus on. I am going to work on the above mentioned and then film again to check my form to see if it has improved. Thanks again everyone!
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    a few good tips already in this thread! good stuff.

1. those shoes. take them off.
    2. bracing, bracing, bracing. look for a crazy guy on Youtube by the name Chris Duffin. he has a tonne of stuff. he also will help you understand general setup for the squat.
    3. knees out. letting our knees cave in is forcing you to lean forward more to attain depth, which in turn is causing the bar to travel forward of your mid-foot as suggested.
    4. and one other thing that sticks out for me straight away is your elbow starting position. try and bring back under the bar for the start of the lift, rather than have them sticking right out the back. (hand position as i mention below can help here).

things to try:
    play with foot placement, and also foot angle to find which is best for you. maybe film many of the variations and post them up for review.
    the proper bracing techniques (you'll feel a lot stronger once you get it right ;) )
    maybe even play with hand placement. you want to be able to tighten your upper back also and keep it there, you'll know you have this right also when you find it. looking at your proportions, i'd suggest a nice and tight in grip.

anyway, see how you go, and get some new vid's up to see if we can help further. :)
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5zrloYWwxw
    here is the chris duffin video. this is my favourite squat instruction video i've even watched.
  • summerdaze120
    Options
    @mideon_696 thanks for the input and video! Will give those things a shot to see if it makes a difference.
  • Gabrielbk97
    Gabrielbk97 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    7eulwl60nh3m.jpeg
  • Gabrielbk97
    Gabrielbk97 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    7eulwl60nh3m.jpeg
    Personally it helps me when I go lower, but for some people going at a 90 degree angle helps save their knees or by wearing accessories like knees wraps and weight belt. Also some shoes help out.
  • summerdaze120
    Options
    So, I ended up buying some Chuck Taylor's today and did some body weight squats....WOW! I could tell a huge difference; I felt more "grounded". I am out of town visiting family, so when I get back home I'll take a new video. Also, still working on the bracing part - practice makes perfect right? Thanks so much everyone for taking the time to watch the video and give me feedback. To be honest, I think I am becoming addicted to lifting :D I love running, but lifting is starting to take over my thoughts.