I'm signing up for my first triathlon.

After losing 100 pounds (and gaining a few pounds of muscle), I've taken my fitness by the horns and started a new bucket list. I've run a half marathon and can bike 28 miles. I want to finish a triathlon, but I need to work on swimming, which I haven't done since I was a kid. Does anyone have any tips on how to start? How many laps should I start with? Has anyone been on a similar journey?
The triathlon I'm looking at looks very doable: Swim 1/4 mile, bike 12.4 miles, and run 3.1 miles. It's in June, so I have about 6 months to train.
Thanks for any feedback!

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Good for you. That definitely sounds do-able -- check out the triathlon group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/88-triathletes-duathletes

I have done a few triathlons, but am not good help with getting started with swimming since it's something I've done since I was a kid (although not very fast, sadly). Personally, I'd start by just swimming as many laps as you can to see where you are, take a break, and swim some more for a set time, maybe 30 mins to start, and then start working up. There are also good drills on the internet, and you might want to look into a swimming class, as more than anything else having good form can make a huge difference in how well and fast you swim and how much energy it requires.

There are probably people with lots more knowledge than me who will answer if you post on the tri group, which is a friendly bunch.

Good luck, and I am sure you will do great. Have fun training!
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    If you can already swim pretty well, I would find a masters swim program on your area. There are also workouts in a binder that give a decent set of swim workouts and you start at your current fitness level.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Awesome bucket list!! I did my first sprint tri last year (400 yard pool swim/15 mile bike/5K run) and have since completed 2 more (one with an open water swim). My swim "training" consisted of watching a few YouTube videos and just getting in the water a couple times a week and figuring it out until I didn't feel like I was dying. Like you, I hadn't done any real swimming since childhood swim lessons, but I was able to pull off a respectable swim time after 2 months of practice.

Is your tri in the open water? That adds a different level of complexity to your training. Get yourself some decent goggles and a swim cap (it's only embarrassing the first time, I promise! And it'll save your hair.), and hit the pool!
  • telegirl
    telegirl Posts: 2 Member
    Hi, Good for you! I did my first tri last summer and swimming for me was the biggest challenge. Practice practice practice. Don't take it for granted if you aren't a regular swimmer. 1/4 mile is a long way!

I am going to take a couple of lessons over the winter as I really don't know what I am doing. I started swimming at the end of April and did my first tri in June. I was slower than I would have liked, but just accomplishing it was awesome. Good luck!
  • telegirl
    telegirl Posts: 2 Member
    oh and congrats on losing 100 pounds!!
  • ninaonyourface
    ninaonyourface Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you all for you input. I found out there is actually a triathlon swimming clinic at my gym coming up this month! How sweet is that?! Here's to a fantastic 2016!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Good luck. That sounds doable. I thought I'd try the 2016 NYC Triathlon, but I don't run and couldn't find someone to do that part.