Activity trackers

Options
I have owned a jawbone up24 which broke within 6 months and a bodybugg which tracked great but I hated the monthly fee..I'm looking into a vivofit because they are only 49 dollars ..curious who has one and how you like it ?

Replies

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I got a Fitbit Flex for Christmas and being a bit of a geek I like all the data it provides. I think it is still getting to know me at the minute so can't attest to total accuracy long term, but the calorie counts it's providing are fairly close to what I've been calculating and maintaining on for a while. It doesn't have a HR monitor function but I don't want or need that. It definitely has helped to encourage me to get my butt off the sofa after Christmas pigging out!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Think about what features you want, and use that to evaluate the product. Personally I don't wear anything on my wrist - so looked into the trackers that you can clip to your waist/bra/etc. Decided the Fitbit One was the tracker for me. :)
  • IriaSparcast
    IriaSparcast Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    They are a waste of time and money. You don't need this. Just track your calories, calculate your TDEE, and be done with all the nonsense. This is simple. Don't make it more complicated than it is.

Disagree. A fitness tracker is a tool. Some people (myself included) like to have 6 kinds of hammers, when others just need a shoe with a solid heel. As long as the nail goes in the wall the way you want it, neither way is wrong.

I don't use my Fitbit Surge (had a Flex first, then upgraded for my birthday) for calories and maintenance, although the models with the Heart Rate monitors provide a better calorie expenditure estimate than just letting MFP auto-calc for me - i use it because it provides data and I like to keep track of my averages and beat my high score. It helps me passively compete with myself. (Also - Fitbit has INCREDIBLE customer support!)

It also helps that a chunk of my friends and family also have Fitbits, so we can see each others' stats and cheer / ruthlessly taunt as need be to help motivate one other. (Because nothing says 'I Love You' like a little bit of Hate-spiration)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    They are a waste of time and money. You don't need this. Just track your calories, calculate your TDEE, and be done with all the nonsense. This is simple. Don't make it more complicated than it is.

I've been walking more since I got a pedometer from my doctor - seeing my step totals encourages me to take more of them.

However, I realized that this particular model (Omron HJ-321) undercounts, as it is designed to not start counting until I make at least 10 steps, and seems to not actually start counting until it's been even more steps. (It is accurate for walks.) Because of Christmas, I put a Fitbit One on my wishlist and so far it has logged double the steps of my Omron. If people want a really cheap option and don't care about steps taken around the house or syncing with MFP, I highly recommend the $17.49 Omron.
  • luckylilma818
    luckylilma818 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I do better with one too...motivates me to work harder
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy my fitbit charge. I've heard great things about all the fitbits. I love their customer service. My fitbit started falling apart after about 8 months (the tracker part was almost completely separate from the rubber wrist band - it was a flaw that they say they have now fixed). They sent me a brand new replacement for free!
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I got a jawboneup3 a few weeks ago as a Christmas gift. I really do love it. I understand that each tracker has its benefits and drawbacks. I felt this tracker was right for me at this point in time.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Fit Bit force here. I got over the rash thing by alternating wrists until it just stopped. Would get a new one if it would ever break. I use runtastic to track my running and fit bit to monitor general activity (steps). I like the feed back it gives me and the added calories too. The fit bit scale is also nice and logs my weight and uploads it to fit bit & MFP
  • Anniepi66
    Anniepi66 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have a VivoFit. Just plain old VivoFit. I got it because it is the only one that was what I considered affordable. $79 on sale at Academy, plus $32 for the heart monitor to go with it. And it is the only one that is waterproof. I go to water aerobics and needed something to help me figure out the calories expended while in deep water more accurately than MFP. Now, whether it is totally accurate of not, I don't know. But it does keep count of my steps and heart rate and calories expended while in the water. Battery life of a year. Have had it since August and have rarely taken it off - once for surgery and once for a formal dinner. Easy setup and seamlessly syncs with MFP. Unlike some commenters, I don't find it a waste of money. If someone believes it is, I would suggest not getting it; but it's not a real reason to discourage others.
  • BernieMBurke
    BernieMBurke Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I bought a Fitbit Charge HR in November as a reward for a really good health checkup with the doctor. I absolutely love it. Of course I am a data-junkie, so that makes sense. Also, since it is synced with MFP, I don't have to time my workouts anymore.
  • mohammedelkorashy22
    Options
    I have one. Its not accurate. By i phone track my steps better
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I have the Vivofit and am happy with it.
    At first I was kind of disappointed because I had been talking about the Charge HR for a few months, and the fella got me the vivofit for my birthday instead. But I'm coming up on 2 months with it, and I love it.

What I really like about vivofit and Garmin in general is that the step goal is not some arbitrary number like 10k. It's better than you did yesterday. Oh, you went 11,298 steps today? Bet you can't hit 11,500. A red line shows up when you've been still for more than an hour. The longer you've been still, the more you have to move to make it go away. I find the step counter fairly accurate. I feel like it doesn't register when I get up from my desk to go to the printer, which is just around the corner, but I log around 300 steps in the shower so I'm sure over the course of the day it shakes out. I don't have to swing my arms all crazy to get it to log. It doesn't have a heart rate monitor, but most will talk to it if you have one already. I got the Garmin one for Christmas, and so far no problems. (I know, 3 days haha!) No charging, back lighting means that the battery is good for a year. If you're going to be wanting to read it in the dark, this isn't the model for you, but it doesn't bother me at all. In the almost two months I have had this, I have only taken it off a handful of times. Once for a wedding, and a couple times that I had adjusted the band and then it bothered me at night. The sleep data is whatever. If you take it off it looks like you had a great night of sleep. But I guess its cool.

My only complaint is EVERYONE uses fitbit, so it was hard to find the community at first, but I've found a bunch of people on MFP who use Garmin products and have connected with there. The app is nice, and syncs well with MFP.
  • ladytwilight72
    ladytwilight72 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I also have a vivofit and absolutely love it . I have a lazy nature but the red line bugs me enough to get me up and moving . I like that I dont have to charge it. It tracks my sleep as well as my steps. I wish I could find more people who use it. Would be nice to have more friends on that site . I recommend it to everyone who asks about trackers.
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I usually only use Runtastic for my activities, since I have phone with me most of the time anyways. And for me it's enough.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I have a Misfit Flash...works the same as a Fitbit.

*Nice app
    *Count steps/activity
    *Sleep
    *Calories
    *Is waterproof!!!! so you can swim with it.
    *Syncs with MFP and other programs.
    *Choice out of different kind of exercises ( from swimming to step based exercises and biking etc)

And only $29.99

Works very good syncs very well and the estimate burn everyday is pretty darn close to what is my suspected TDEE it seems ( not totally know what maintenance is yet but getting there)

95069916.png
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    Fit Bit force here. I got over the rash thing by alternating wrists until it just stopped. Would get a new one if it would ever break. I use runtastic to track my running and fit bit to monitor general activity (steps). I like the feed back it gives me and the added calories too. The fit bit scale is also nice and logs my weight and uploads it to fit bit & MFP

I get a rash from my Fitbit Charge, but that's because I am allergic to nickel and the stainless steel closure contains nickel. It's not terrible. Sometimes it itches, and sometimes I get small blisters, but I move my Fitbit around from one wrist to another and that seems to help.
  • jmh344
    jmh344 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Love my Polar HR monitor!! Tracks HR and calories and tells what fat burning zone you are in! It's very accurate! Motivates me so much
  • cjsgrimlin1
    cjsgrimlin1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options

I get a rash from my Fitbit Charge, but that's because I am allergic to nickel and the stainless steel closure contains nickel. It's not terrible. Sometimes it itches, and sometimes I get small blisters, but I move my Fitbit around from one wrist to another and that seems to help.

you can try to add a wrist cover (if your creative and can sew or know someone who does) to wrap around the clasp so it doesn't touch your skin. Some fleece or flannel in a favorite design/ color to match might help.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

I read about these rashes in the Amazon reviews, and since I tend to be sensitive to things, went with the One instead. A friend of the family has the Charge, does not have this issue, and just loves it.