Polar H7 Results.. Questions

Options
I got a Polar H7 for Christmas and the past two days I have used it at the gym and using the app it says 76 minutes I burned 924 KCAL 132 avg heart rate 189 Max HR

Im 35 years This is doing weights and 1 mile Jog/Run/Walk at a 10.5 min a mile pace

FYI Fitbit said like 600 calories.

Do you think I burned over 900 calories in less then 1.5 Hours

Replies

• ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    HRM are only good for steady state cardio, are you using the weight lifting profile?
  • FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Yes tomorrow I will use weight lifting profile then Stop it and switch to running ALTHOUGH the treadmill at gym showed same Calories Burned,, Granted it was synced to my Chest HRM
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Did you do the fitness test to set you VO2max?

Do you have your resting and max heart rates set correctly along with you weight etc...?

What heart rate zones were you in and for how long in each?

I have a Polar V800 with the H7 chest strap heart rate monitor, and here is a workout I did where I burned 1,096 calories...

https://flow.polar.com/training/analysis/330241032

I find the Polar's to be the most accurate of the ones that I have tried, but you have to make sure all of your settings are correct and kept up to date, and do the heart rate test to get your VO2max. If you have had your VO2max taken at a place that does it, you can enter that number as it is more accurate.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I would only run the HRM during steady state cardio such as the run, turning it on right at the start of the run, and turning it off immediately after. HRM's are useless for weights etc.
  • FrankWhite27330
    Options
    Fitness Test? I told it age weight ect

how do I set all these items... Also It has a setting for Weight Training, so I dont think its design intent would make it Useless for that type of training
  • FrankWhite27330
    Options
    looks like fitness test is a PAY OPTION
  • ScubaSteve1962
    edited December 2015
    Options
    looks like fitness test is a PAY OPTION

with polar beat your v02 max is a pay option, I have a V800 and when I use the weight lifting profile, my calorie burn is no more than my bmr.
  • FrankWhite27330
    Options
    BMR?
  • sandykaunisto
    sandykaunisto Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I agree the polar is very accurate stay with those stats
  • ScubaSteve1962
    edited December 2015
    Options
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ the amount of calories you burn just being alive
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Have a Misfit and a Polar H7 ( HRM)

And i have done several lab tests ( VO2 max) and my Polar was off by 13% average higher.
    The lower my weight the more accurate it was.

This was not done over 1 test btw. But several over a years time.

So yes the Polar H7 is pretty accurate. Some people will say 13% is a lot but it is not much at all. ;) when you burn 100 calories it is only 13 calories wrong...that is not a lot lol

Now what you have to calculate is also the Polar is given you the Gross amount of burning calories.

For me when i recalculate it and get 61 calories off ( this is what i normally would have burn in that hour anyway without exercise) than my NET exercise calories is pretty much spot on.

Now taken all the data over the last year, and indeed it is not far off at all.

95069916.png

• BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    So in your case 9 times 13 = 117 to high and calculate about 60 calories you have burned anyway ( this is a wild guess ofcourse because i dont know you at all or your stats But for me i is 61 calories an hour)

And you are left with aboutish 723 NET calories burned. Eat 50 % back and your always save lol

But all up to you
    Remember it is all estimates ....always.

Only when you keep data over months you can calculate averages and that is the best way to go :)

I only know it always worked perfect for me. And my numbers, data, weight loss was always spot on.

95069916.png
  • FrankWhite27330
    Options
    Gotcha. Makes sense...
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Fitness Test? I told it age weight ect

how do I set all these items... Also It has a setting for Weight Training, so I dont think its design intent would make it Useless for that type of training

What device are you using the H7 with?
  • FrankWhite27330
    Options
    Android app
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    polar beat is the best app to use with the h7 i would definitely recommend it