Losing Weight After Baby

Options
I had my daught 4 months ago and really need help to shed the pounds! Ive lost 25 so far but still have another 30 to go! Im not sure where to start and its a little overwhelming. Plus figuring out what I can and cant do since Im breastfeeding. Any and all advise is welcome!! Thank you!

Replies

• Kyrenora
    Kyrenora Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My girl is 5 months old! I'm pumping, though, so I know my output and there's less guesswork. It's 20 calories an ounce.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Be careful because sometimes a calorie deficit can effect your milk production. Set your diary to lose only .5 pounds a week and start playing with it from there. Don't get discouraged. They weight will come off.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    That's awesome, but as another poster said, just be careful your supply doesn't get low.

I never breastfeed and I feel like it was a lot less stressful because I didn't have to watch what I eat. On the flip side, I have 12 lbs of post partum weight to lose until I'm where I was pre-pregnancy and I move a lot during the day, but I also have an issue with night eating. I'm trying to be better about that.

My son is 14 months so I am not going to blame anyone but myself, sigh.
  • MadamChick
    MadamChick Posts: 52 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I have been on mfp for a year now and nursing the entire time. You can do it. For the first couple months I actually set my calorie goal to maintain and I would re-evaluate at the end of each month. I gradually lowered my calorie goal as I ensured my milk supply wasn't suffering. My goal now is to lose 5 lbs each month.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    My baby is turning 1 on Friday and I've lost 75 pounds since having him, all while breastfeeding! I would set MFP to lose .5 or 1 pound per week, and then eat back between 300-500 calories a day to account for breastfeeding. Just play around with the numbers and if you lose too quickly or your milk supply seems to slow, then eat more. If you're not losing, eat a little less. As always, make sure you're weighing food and logging accurately. Good luck!
  • mmarie_3
    mmarie_3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I lost about 20 lbs breastfeeding but it needs to be something that is done the right way. You'll know where you're body is comfortable calorie wise bc you'll notice your supply lower if you get too low. Allow yourself time!! It took 9 (let's be honest 10) months to to grow that baby give yourself AT LEAST that to get it off. It took me about 1.5 years to get down to pre-pregnancy size.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    You know where to start - you've already started by joining MFP and reaching out, congrats :) And congrats on the birth of your little one.

You're already 25 pounds gone, this is incredible. You've been given some fantastic advice from mothers that have been there and succeeded so know that it certainly CAN be done. I'm not a mother - but just wanted to lend my support and give you a big "Go you!" :)
  • alida1walsh
    alida1walsh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose any of the weight until my youngest started school.

I breastfed 3 children (twins and another close behind). I didn't restrict my eating though I cut out alcohol and coffee.

Before having children, I used to go to the gym 3 days a week but this was not an option after they arrived. We had no family support and my babies didn't cope in the crèche. Having babies also slows down the pace you might normally walk at. Ultimately, I put on about 10 kilos.

My youngest started school and I'm now feeling fit and healthy and at my pre-pregnancy weight .

Don't worry if it takes a few years. You'll get there in the end.
  • EricaKatelynn
    EricaKatelynn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the support and advise! Definitely helps with how much i should realisticly lose while breast feeding! Cant wait to get started! Thanks again! =)