Loosing weight during the night?

Options
I am not sure how this happens. Just out of curiosity, I weighed myself before going to bed, then again when getting up. Low and behold I will lose weight during the night. I don't understand how this can happen. Other than sometimes getting up to urinate during the night, there is nowhere for the weight to go.
Anybody else ever noticed this? Where does the weight go to?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    You burn it doing things like breathing, digesting, making new cells, pumping blood around your body etc
    Some also goes in dehydration. Simply existing burns calories...
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Evaporation of water into breath, exhalation of carbon dioxide. That's where it goes excluding urination and defecation.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Where does the weight go to?
    You are exhaling it out.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    You weigh more at night because of all the food and drinks you put in your body. When you sleep, your body is putting all of that to good use and by the morning, most of it is processed. Normally your lowest weight of the day is upon first waking up after using the bathroom. Most people fluctuate two to five pounds within a day due to this.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    As said above, weight is exhaled in the form of CO2. Even if you didn't get up to use the toilet once, the night is still a good chunk of time when you didn't "add" anything to your body, just "subtracted" (and converted).

Btw I am a bit OCD about words... It's "lo and behold" . I think it's some ancient spelling of "look" or something. :)
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that 80 some odd percent of weight is lost through breath and ~20 percent is lost in some form of fluid (ie urinating)
  • Fiveling
    Fiveling Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Plus you sweat during the night, even if it's not hot, so you'll lose some weight through that.