Question about calories in/calories out

Options
This may seem like a silly question but my doctor told me that weight loss occurs when your calories in is less than your calories out (from exercise). Does this mean that if you eat 1600 calories a day, you have to burn over 1600 calories from excercise a day?

Thanks for you help!

Replies

• TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    NO.

You burn calories all the time. That is why you are given an alotment ofcalories on MFP even when you don't exercise. You burn most of your calories just by being alive. Exercise has lots of positive benefits outside of weight loss, but it only affects weight loss by adding to the calories you already burn just being alive and moving around.
  • Frumpy2Fit
    Frumpy2Fit Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    This is different for everyone, but the general rule is not to eat under 1200 calories a day. Most likely, your body naturally burns about that amount each day and if you eat less than that your body will go into starvation mode and you will actually gain weight. If you are eating 1600 calories a day then would suggest burning around 400 calories a day to lose weight. I hope this helps!!!
  • pbe21577
    pbe21577 Posts: 6
    Options
    You also have to factor in your BMR (basalmeteabolic rate) which is the calories you burn just breathing. There is a calculator on here that gives you a rough estimate, but you can also have it calculated as part of your profile at the gym. Hope that helps!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    This may seem like a silly question but my doctor told me that weight loss occurs when your calories in is less than your calories out (from exercise). Does this mean that if you eat 1600 calories a day, you have to burn over 1600 calories from excercise a day?

Thanks for you help!

No, because most likely your body burns 1800-2200, just to maintain it current weight on days you don't exercise, so eating 1600 would have you lose weight.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    This is different for everyone, but the general rule is not to eat under 1200 calories a day. Most likely, your body naturally burns about that amount each day and if you eat less than that your body will go into starvation mode and you will actually gain weight. If you are eating 1600 calories a day then would suggest burning around 400 calories a day to lose weight. I hope this helps!!!

not necessarily 1200 is the minimum, she would probably lose weight even eating the full 1600, unless she is under 130 lbs and 5'2".
  • jamontagne
    jamontagne Posts: 115
    Options
    Not exactly.

We burn calories just for breathing - the average person burns 1600-2000 calories/day just by being alive (hence the 2000 calorie intake sugestion on most labels). So, that means in order to loss weight you need to figure out exaclty how many calories you burn a day for being alive, then cut roughly 500 calories without going below 1200 calories. So ... if you are burning through 2000cals/day regularly then you need to only take in 1500cals/day. That would created a 1lb/week loss (I believe). Based on this equation - if you exercise you should really eat back most of those calories. I know that sounds crazy - but here's the logic:
    Your body is a machine and needs energy (calories) to fuel it. By working out you are burning energy, which is good, but if your energy gets too low (under 1200 for most) your body/machine will start stashing energy (cals) for future use- which results in weight gain!
    So why should you even bother working out? Simple: a machine with a bigger engine (I'm stealing this from something I read somewhere so I don't claim copyrights etc etc - just cya :) ) uses more energy (calories). So if you have more muscle and therefore require more calories (1600 vs 2000) you will be able to maintain your goal weight better than a machine with a lighter engine (i.e. no muscle).

Bottom Line:
    1) using the MFP calcuator - find out your typical daliy calorie burn and daily calorie intake (they calculate it for you - just put your info in)
    2) make sure you eat those minimum calories everday no matter what!!!
    3) try your hardest to eat most of your workout calories back so your body doesn't go into storage mode

Example -

I am 5' 141 lbs. My heatlhy weight per my doctor is 120-125 ish. So, in the past i attempted to starve myself into skinny-ness (eating 800-1000 cals/day with no exercise). Of course I lost a few pounds - but my body freaked and I started to gain! So, I joined MFP. Now I eat my minimum 1200 cals/day - no exceptions. I get in some-sort of workout everyday for 30 mins - and then I eat most of those cals back. So far I have lost 3 lbs in 10 days and am so full throughout the day that I never feel hungry and never feel like binging (which I used to do). Oh, and the regular exercise has put me into a lower size too! I'm a 6 now (was an 8). Wish I took measurements before I started because I am sure I'd see a serious difference there!.

So - get your body's engine going and keep it moving!
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Nope. As stated above, your body burns calories from just normal bodily functions. This is often referred to as maintenance calories.
  • jamontagne
    jamontagne Posts: 115
    Options
    OH ... 1 more thing!

You need to keep your engine lubed too - just like a car. A great way to judge your "lube level" is by your pee color - it should be a very pale yellow - just like your engine's oil should be a dark red-brown, not black sludge!

:laugh: :laugh:
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Does this mean that if you eat 1600 calories a day, you have to burn over 1600 calories from excercise a day?

No.

The amount of calories (a measure of energy) you need to maintain your current weight (maintenance calories / TDEE) is made up of certain things as follows:

TDEE = BMR + TEF + TEA + NEAT/SPA

BMR is your basal metabolic rate or the energy level needed to power basic functions. This makes up about 55-70% of your calorie needs.
    TEF is thermic effect of feeding or the energy level needed to process the amount of food you eat. This is roughly 10% of your calorie needs.
    TEA is thermic effect of activity (or specifically exercise such as cardio etc) while NEAT/SPA is non exercise activity thermogenesis / spontaneous activity (such as fidgeting) This makes up the rest of your calorie needs.

To lose weight you simply have to have a calorie level level lower than that needed to maintain your current weight (in other words a deficit) You can do this through simply eating less, eating less and exercise or exercise alone.

Incidentally, you will see the bulk of your calorie needs is through things other than exercise (or specifically cardio.) That is why you will sometimes see people say that you are better off focusing on creating a deficit through diet than going overboard on exercise.

ETA: or you could just listen to jamontagne as well ;)
  • Sparrow_Feet
    Sparrow_Feet Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    The amount of calories you burn without doing any additional exercise will vary so much by person. If you have entered your weight, age, activity levels, sex etc into your profile correctly, you can get a good read of your maintenance calories (how much you will burn naturally daily) in MFP by going to My Home then Goals. It's in the upper right section of the screen. Keep in mind though as you lose weight this will change. Generally the bigger you are the more calories you will burn just doing normal living activities...

Hope that helps. :smile:
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    This is different for everyone, but the general rule is not to eat under 1200 calories a day. ....... If you are eating 1600 calories a day then would suggest burning around 400 calories a day to lose weight. I hope this helps!!!
    that's if your target is 1200 net a day - depends so much on your height/weight/age/sex/daily activity etc - my NET target a day is 1500
  • njhill7
    njhill7 Posts: 8
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the information!!! It has been a great help to me! I'm new on here and still trying to figure it all out!!

Nancy