Does mfp give same calories burned for all weights?

I did Jillian micheals 30 day shred lvl1 and 2 and my hrm said 703, but mfp says 424( or close to it). Is mfp figuring in my weight, age, and height? Or should I trust my hrm?

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    trust the hrm
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    I did Jillian micheals 30 day shred lvl1 and 2 and my hrm said 703, but mfp says 424( or close to it). Is mfp figuring in my weight, age, and height? Or should I trust my hrm?

MFP takes into account, Age, weight, gender, but your HRM takes into account all of that plus your HR, which makes it more accurate.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    I purchased a HRM for more accuracy. I think MFP does take weight into consideration, but it's only a estimate of calories burned. Use the HRM #s!
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    my daughter and I tried our new HRM's with the shred for the first time last night. I only have a few pounds to lose; she is morbidly obese. It showed that MFP has been overestimating my burn by about 75 cals for a 20 minute session. It has been underestimating hers by almost 200 cal. I'd say trust the HRM.
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    It doesn't say the same calories for everyone -- my husband burns significantly more calories as I do in the same workout, according to MFP. It takes into account your weight, etc.

Whether you should go with your HRM over the MFP depends on the brand/kind you have, since they're not all the same. There was a fabulous blog post here about HRMs, I'll try to dig it up for you.
  • cobygrey
    cobygrey Posts: 270 Member
    IT IS A GENERAL ESTIMATE FOR CALORIES BURNED. USE THE HEART RATE MONITOR.
  • docturtle
    docturtle Posts: 156 Member
    I don't know about the 30 day shred, but I have noticed that a 20-year-old or so MFP burns more calories walking at the same speed as me for fewer minutes. My 40th birthday is next month, so I figure that's the way it is when you get old. =>.
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    I hope this doesn't need to be mentioned, but just make sure your HRM is programmed to your correct Height, Weight, Age & Sex or it is fairly useless.
  • Could someone tell me what an HRM is and where do I find one?
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    No MFP doesn't give same calories burned for all weights because often the larger you are than more effort and exertion it takes to do something.
  • Thanks!
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    me and my friend did a workout together the other day and we both logged it on here and it was different amounts of calories because we are different weights.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Could someone tell me what an HRM is and where do I find one?

Heart Rate Monitor. Amazon, Best Buy, Academy Sports, take your pick!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    If you take even the most basic (inexpensive) Heart Rate Monitor, even one without cycles or programs, you can just put it on immediately before your exercise, and check it immediately after for your Average Heart Rate (AHR), you can then calculate your calories burned here:

http://www.triathlontrainingblog.com/calculators/calories-burned-calculator-based-on-average-heart-rate/

Just need to pay attention to HOW LONG you were working, and what the AHR was during that time, then plug those into the formula with your age, sex, and weight, as well as VO2 (if you have it on a fancier model, but not necessary).

If you have a very basic HRM, don't put it on too soon before beginning exercise or leave it on too long after, or it will include too much of your resting/recovering HR in the measurement.

MFP numbers are entered by users--you will notice that you can alter the actual amount of calories burned. A 200 lb. person and a 150 lb. person can burn very different amount of calories during the same exercise. There is also a difference between 2 people who weigh the same if one is more fit than the other.

Note: even if you buy a fancy-pants HRM with lots of bells and whistles, it is not going to actually measure your calories burned. It is just going to monitor your actual Heart Rate, then use the same mathematical formula as the above link to ESTIMATE your calories burned. So don't feel discouraged when you see how much those fancy-pants HRMs cost. You can buy a less expensive one and do the math (easy with that link) yourself.

Remember--everything is an estimate, and if you don't have a HRM, the MFP numbers are better than nothing :)

blessings.
  • Thanks!