Need help

Options
Hi guys,

My weight is currently 97kg (214 pounds).
My height is 168cm (5.5 foot) and my BMI is 34.4.

I would like to start exercising to lose my weight. But I tried running and jogging but its painful on my knee joints.
may i know what exercise can i start with which is suitable for obese beginners?
(i intend to lose 0.5kg(1.1 pound) per week)

thank you

Replies

• soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Walking and swimming are good. However, weight loss is primarily about what you eat. Exercise is good for a bunch of other things.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I second the walking and swimming. When I was at my heaviest, intense physical activity was way out. Exercise has many health benefits.

Losing weight though can be done entirely in the kitchen, it's purely a function of calories in vs calories out.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Walking is great exercise. I would start out that way. I'm not sure how out of shape you are but my suggestion for completely out of shape beginners is to aim for 10-20 minutes 3x/week. After a week or two, add 5 minutes or an additional walk to the week. From there, add time according to your ability. The first few weeks of exercise are the most challenging but they are also incredibly awarding as you begin to feel much better.

When you are finished walking, I suggest doing a bit of stretching. If you google "fitness blender lower body stretch flexibility" you'll find a helpful video. The increase in flexibility you'll have after a few weeks will be encouraging. I know that, for me, my flexibility when I started with similar stats to yours was terrible. Stretching and moving more helped a lot and within a very short time frame.

Good luck!
  • Fiveling
    Fiveling Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I second the swimming reccomendation. IIRC it's the exercise that's least stressing on the joints. Though it does cost money to go to the pool generally, and walking is free.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You don't need to exercise at all, really. You just need a calorie deficit. However, I'm about the same size as you (5'6" and 214.9 pounds) and almost all the exercise I do is walking. I've never run in my life.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Put on your shoes, go out the door, and walk, walk, walk.
  • erinxo13
    erinxo13 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone is saying. walking and swimming or some type of aquatics :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Put on your shoes, go out the door, and walk, walk, walk.

When the weather is crappy....."walk" indoors.

www.youtube.com/user/walkathomemedia
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I am 54, 5'3", I hope I never go back to 237 where I started last March, but if I did...I would also begin some strength training with my walking. I walked and walked last spring and summer, but I had some injuries because I was under using some muscles and over using others. I needed to wake those lazy ones up with targeted strength training. Clam shells, mini crunches, resistance band pull downs, hip flexes, and side ways stepping were my beginning strength training. It is true that weight loss happens in the kitchen, but walking or swimming will allow you to eat a bit more and still lose and strength training will help to insure you lose mostly fat. You have some great muscle you developed while you were carrying around that extra fat. You want to keep it? Strength training and adequate protein intake (90-100 grams per day for you) will help you lose mostly fat!
  • brittnihovious
    brittnihovious Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    -i started avout the same as you im down 40 lbs i biked and walked , elliptical and jogged when i could :)
    wise_wind wrote: »
    Hi guys,

My weight is currently 97kg (214 pounds).
    My height is 168cm (5.5 foot) and my BMI is 34.4.

I would like to start exercising to lose my weight. But I tried running and jogging but its painful on my knee joints.
    may i know what exercise can i start with which is suitable for obese beginners?
    (i intend to lose 0.5kg(1.1 pound) per week)

thank you

• MVY_
    MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Ellipticals and bicycles...cycling at gym...research low impact exercises
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    walk, swim, elliptical, bike, strength training/ weights .....plenty of options other than running
  • wise_wind
    wise_wind Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. :)