After Workout Snack?

Options
When I'm finished working out I'm normally FAMISHED! What are some good snacks/drinks for after a work out? I read somewhere that Chocolate Milk is a good one?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would drink chocolate milk. Maybe a greek yogurt, fruit and nuts.
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    The C25k Cool Running website has some great before and after workout/run foods (they list chocolate milk as well).
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    I generally do Protein of some sort - mostly in the form of a Protein shake...
    Protein makes a great recovery drink (assuming it is a quality protein of course)
    I've often heard that chocolate milk 30 minutes BEFORE the workout is great because of the protein, carbs, etc... read a article in the paper about that recently...

For afterwards - I can't imagine it would be bad either :) let me know if you are interested in protein info - I've got a few that a personal trainer told me about that I really like!
  • tefii
    tefii Posts: 31
    Options
    I think soy milk is the best option. Put some soy milk in the blender with some ice and your favorite fruit, some honey or splenda and your set to get the proper protein to build your muscle = burn fat, as well as keep your calorie intake low. Soy also has many health benefits to us woman and tastes great!
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Protein/ Protein shake - hands down!!!!
  • katt742
    katt742 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Milk is very good but not that filling. Have you tried Protein Shakes? I love my chocolate protein shakes blended with a frozen banana. Its like a milkshake and very filling. Also Peanut Butter and crackers/rice cakes are good. Tuna, Lunchmeat....you want to get protein in you after a workout! I like protein bars but they arent filling enough for me. The protein shakes are my savior!
  • onewarmmomma
    onewarmmomma Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips! Now I'm even more hungry than before...LOL!
  • TiffanyDawn79
    TiffanyDawn79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have a 100 calorie snack pack of almonds.
  • laurajoyk
    laurajoyk Posts: 305
    Options
    A high protein snack is the best after a workout. Like a small protein shake or a hard boiled egg or egg white. Thats what I would have.
  • 69mustang
    69mustang Posts: 185
    Options
    I have also heard that about choco milk but I would be concerned about the % of sugar in it or what its sweetened with if its sugar free. Some brands have 32 grams of sugar per cup. Read the NI if its a concern for you

Anyway after a workout I like whey protien shakes, eggs, almonds, peanut butter with an apple or banana, greek yogurt with some fruit or on occasion a Lara bar
  • corgifan
    corgifan Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I usually go for a light, but high protein snack. Everything from string cheese, hardboiled egg with some tomato slices, apple with peanut butter, smoothie, and yes, after longer runs, a chocolate milk tastes pretty darn good.

Just make sure the calorie content of your snack isn't going to ruin the progress you made with your workout....Burning 150 calories and then knocking back a nearly 300 calorie protein shake/bar/any other snack isn't going to help you at all.
  • DeniseGdz
    DeniseGdz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I'm ususually on the road after working out & then I have to get home and walk the dog (before she has an accident in the house) so I ususally go for Protien Bars....Just keep an eye on the sugars. That'll hold me over until I get a few things done and ready for dinner.