apartment and treadmill

Options
I prefer to work out at home vs the gym. i do live on the second floor though. i am interested in getting a treadmill to walk on. but i dont want to get one then my downstairs neighbor say i am being to loud. does anyone have any recommendations on a cheap but quiet treadmil?

Replies

• tasaiar1
    tasaiar1 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds stupid. But i jog around my flay. From room to room and track it on my phone using MapMyWalk.

That's just me, because I also do t have enough space to for a treadmill.
    But maybe you can use it during the day and avoid times that may disturb your neighbour?
  • emmooney235
    emmooney235 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    As an apartment dweller, I would stick with walking /jogging in place or from one end to the other. My building is fairly quiet, but I'm sure a treadmill would be obnoxious, no matter the time of day. I have one neighbor who slams his door every single time he opens it (grocery day is a killer!) and it infuriates me no matter the time of day. Does your complex have a gym room available? Or do you know the downstairs neighbor well enough to ask what the noise level currently is and if they would be ok with it durring a specific time everyday?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Run outside?
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Many apartments prohibit treadmills, and even weight sets over a certain weight. Check with the management before you spend any money.

As a former downstairs apartment dweller, I can tell you your neighbors will not be happy with you if you get a treadmill! Even jogging in your apartment will annoy them. Go outside or to a gym, please. (Or move to a ground floor apartment, maybe?)

It's not the treadmill that makes noise. It's you jumping on their ceiling that annoys neighbors.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Check Amazon and read reviews? Especially since you just want to walk, there might be something
  • sarabeth120
    sarabeth120 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Does your apartment not have a fitness center? Mine does, so that's what I use on days that it's too cold or it's rainy outside. Otherwise, I walk outside, either around the complex a few time or at the local nature park that is only a ten minute drive away from me. Maybe you could look into that? I absolutely LOVE walking at the park since it's so nice and peaceful. I hate it when the weather makes it so I can't walk there.

If you must get a treadmill, you need to go down and talk to your downstairs neighbor. Maybe work out a schedule with them in which it is okay for you to walk on it. For example, I live on the third floor in my own building and do a lot of jumping around doing various workouts (Insanity, T25, etc), but I have set times in which I can work out based on whether they are home or not below me. It's not too inconvenient for me to work around their schedule and I don't feel guilty about making a lot of noise and bothering them when I do work out.