Options
Anyone said that to you lately?
Was it interesting?

Replies

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I don't tell people I'm dieting. Of course, at almost 70 pounds down, people notice the results, but I've never restricted the kinds of foods I eat, only the amounts, so people are used to me eating all kinds of things.

If anyone did say that to me, I'd say "I am" and then continue eating whatever delicious thing prompted the comment :smiley:
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Yes and I say just bc I am doesn't mean I can't have what I'm eating! Moderation!
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    My mom was surprised that I could eat as many Christmas pastries as I wanted in one sitting. She thought I would need to "work it off".
  • incisron
    incisron Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm, pastries.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    My spouse says that sometimes. I remind him that I can eat this piece of candy, or eat these fries, etc., as long as I do so in moderation and that I have no intention of removing every so called "bad" food from my diet. (Not that I think foods are bad or good, but that he does.)
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    My neighbour when she saw I had bought pizza. I just laughed
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    That's exactly why I don't talk much at all about weight l oi so IRL. Because I'm not at all interested in others' commentary about what I'm eating.
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    My cousin said that to me recently "How can you be eating fries at 10pm; you should drink water; you'll stop losing weight"... I told him "Well, I am hungry not thirsty! If THIS will stop me from losing weight so be it!" :)
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    last week a friend of my mother-in-law said, you look great. now don't ruin it by eating too much at christmas. i said losing weight should not interfere with my enjoyment of the holiday. my mother-in-law jumped in like maybe i said something rude. during xmas dinner my brother in-law insisted at one point it was a cheat day. i said i wasn't cheating. my sister jumped in like maybe i said something rude:-) they don't get it...it's fine :)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    It's just not something that's said to someone who eats as much as I do these days
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    incisron wrote: »
    Anyone said that to you lately?
    Was it interesting?

Nope ... I did have someone confirm that I'm on a diet break right now (which I am), but that's it.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I don't tell people that aren't among my circle of like minded people that I'm eating at a deficit. I don't tell them what time I go to bed or what method I use for dental care either. I tend not to share information that would be trivial and boring to others becuase I'm aware that what I take an interest in concerning myself is not important a to the vast majority around me.

Maybe if people are saying that to you, you've invited it. Don't be surprised when people take more of an interest than you'd like when you've provided more information than they wanted.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    So annoying. I'm 5"10 210 and usually have about 400 spare calories left after dinner. If I want a *kitten* brownie I can have it. Being on a diet doesn't mean being miserable
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    I used to get that from my mom and fiance, but they stopped after I explained making foods fit in my calorie budget to them.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    No. Since I started losing weight people have seen me eat everything from a plain salad to a bacon cheeseburger. I also get really fed up when people try to say this or that is "healthy" or "unhealthy". I've probably explained my thoughts on a balanced diet once to everyone I am close with so they know better.
  • ReeseG4350
    ReeseG4350 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Y'see... the interesting thing here is that "diet" means whatever you eat not specifically to lose or gain weight or to accomplish some other objective. So, the next time someone says, "I thought you were on a diet", just say, "Aren't you?"
    (They'll probably look at you like an idiot or they will be offended, thinking you are suggesting they need to lose weight. But... The truth is, EVERYONE is 'on' a diet of some sort! lol)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I get that a lot. People don't equate steak, burgers, sausages, bacon, cheese and whipping cream in coffee with weight loss... Or skipping large portions of fruit and veggies for that matter. Losing while skipping" diet food". LOL
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I never tell people about my health/fitness goals, but people assume I am "on a diet" because I turn down pizza and other junk foods quite a bit. So yes, people often see something I'm eating and obnoxiously go, "I thought you were on a diet" or "that doesn't look like diet food", to which I reply, "I'm not 'on a diet' I just eat in moderation".
    Honesty it annoys me because it makes it sound like they think I should be on a diet. Douche bags.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    "I can eat whatever I want, as long as I plan for it." usually ends the conversation full stop.
  • RaeB1013
    RaeB1013 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Yep. Not from a lot of people but my gramma says it to me often. She's well-meaning of course, but I have to remind her that I'm not "on a diet" (the way she thinks of one). I can eat whatever as long as it's in moderation and planned for. I usually don't go a day without some sort of chocolate!