Looking for tips

Options
MindfulNat
MindfulNat Posts: 83 Member
edited December 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello,
A few months ago I learned I was prediabetic. I was following the Weight Watchers plan and now can no longer afford it. I'm looking for helpful tips for a prediabetic. Should I stick to 1200 calories? Should I even count calories ? How many carbs a day should I aim for? I'm a 35 year old female, 5'0.5,and I run for 30 minutes 3xweek.
Thanks

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Start logging. 1,200 is too low if you exercise (go by what MFP sets for you). Yes, count calories. I watch added sugars (not carbs). I like a plant based diet with lots of fiber and protein. I am high carb (lots of beans).
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Start logging, put your stats into MFP to see what it recommends for calories. Read the sticky posts at the top of each MFP forum to learn the ins and outs of this site. With dome weight loss, proper eating, and the exercise you're already doing, you can beat this, probably within a few months.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Check out www.dlife.com and in particular the "healthy plate" and "menu planning" subpages.

Designed for diabetics, the guidelines are also appropriate for prediabetics. Very reasonable, medically based, and sensible.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert as many are here - but I'd say, based on your stats - 1200 seems a little low for you and not really necessary! I'm a 5ft2 female weighing 119lbs currently - I'm also very sedentary during the day and 1200 is still a little on the low side for me.

If you have a fitbit - this is a great way to see your daily burns and based on that, you'll be able to work out your correct deficit!

If you don't have a deficit, put your stats into MFP. You can eat back any exercise calories on top of this number :)
  • ikeATtheGYM
    ikeATtheGYM Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Food diary helped me most. You must count your calories accurately to know what deficit you are at. Eat lots of vegetables, 100 calories of broccoli or cauliflower is enough to fill your stomach, and few other foods will give you as much bang for the calorie as vegetables, when it comes to getting that full feeling from a meal. Don't underestimate the psychological effect of that full feeling.