I'm a newbie.... Needing help

Options
gillywoo81
gillywoo81 Posts: 2 Member
Hi everyone, Determined to get the weight off but find it really difficult to come up with breakfast & lunch ideas. I work in an office but do have access to a microwave.

Can anyone share any simple recipes? Thanks

Replies

• missysuevest01
    missysuevest01 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    what about a blender, make a smoothie, make meals that aren't bad cold, tuna salad, chicken salad, fruits and veggies are great cold too! whatever you do don't give up
  • MVY_
    MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    This is my breakfast and lunch and I work in an office too. You can mix it up however you like it.

Breakfast:

Smoothie - Kale, Protein Powder, Flax Seed, Match Powder
    Almond Butter on Bread
    Boiled Eggs - Made ahead and put in snack bags
    Plain Greek Yogurt with Granola, flax seed, Agave Nectar

Lunch:

Grilled Chicken
    Baked Tilapia
    Frozen veggies (I use this because I just don't have the time cooking all day when I have four kids and I work full time...it's cheaper too and works just as well as fresh veggies)

(All lunchs are premade the night before if not the morning as I am preparing for work. I get my breakfast and lunch ready in under an hour.)

• Michele7091
    Michele7091 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Do like oatmeal? Try some overnight oats. And if you don't like them cold, you can always heat them up a bit.
    Smoothies are a good quick breakfast. You could keep a blender at work.
    Fruit & yogurt parfait with some lowfat or homemade granola sprinkled on top.
    Hard boiled eggs can add protein to just about any breakfast.

I usually bring dinner leftovers for lunch the next day so maybe try cooking enough food to have leftovers the next day.
  • MVY_
    Options
    You should watch youtube videos and check out pinterest on meal prepping ideas.
  • Jessapi
    Jessapi Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I rarely have time to cook breakfast so sometimes I will eat an apple/orange/grapefruit/banana whatever I have on the counter. I used to eat a banana and a low cal granola bar for breakfast. For lunches I buy those low cal tv dinners. They aren't too bad. Sometimes I will have left overs from the night before. I also started packing a snack like an apple, pack of carrots, or some trail mix to nibble on during the day.
  • DeviatedNorm
    DeviatedNorm Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I have fallen in love with overnight oats for breakfast. 300-380 calories (depending on what all I put into it) and it easily satisfies me until lunch. I use:

1 T chia seeds
    1/4 c old fashioned oats
    1/4 c liquid (water, milk, coconut water/milk, juice, etc)
    1/4 c yogurt
    1/4 c fruit (fresh, frozen, dried, canned...pretty much anything works)

Mix everything but the fruit together in a small (~1c) tupperware container. Just throw the lid on and shake. Add the fruit and throw it in the fridge until morning. By morning you'll have a super thick, custardy pudding of sorts. Just stir the fruit in and eat! You can make it 2 days in advance, even 3. I haven't tried 4, it always gets eaten by then! ;)

Some of my favorite combinations are:

Coconut milk/water (either) and pineapple
    Peaches (I use a single-serving Dole pack of peaches, and split into two containers of oats) with almond slices added and a dash of vanilla
    1-2 T Chocolate PB2 (powdered peanut butter, just like the real thing when mixed with water but waaaaaay fewer calories/fat), 1/4 - 1/2 t espresso powder, cinnamon and half of a banana
    1-2 T PB2 (or chocolate pb2) and 1 T fruit spread -- like a pb&j!
    Blueberries with a dash of lemon curd

But basically this is super customizeable and almost anything you put in will be tasty.

• MVY_
    Options
    haidit wrote: »
    I have fallen in love with overnight oats for breakfast. 300-380 calories (depending on what all I put into it) and it easily satisfies me until lunch. I use:

1 T chia seeds
    1/4 c old fashioned oats
    1/4 c liquid (water, milk, coconut water/milk, juice, etc)
    1/4 c yogurt
    1/4 c fruit (fresh, frozen, dried, canned...pretty much anything works)

Mix everything but the fruit together in a small (~1c) tupperware container. Just throw the lid on and shake. Add the fruit and throw it in the fridge until morning. By morning you'll have a super thick, custardy pudding of sorts. Just stir the fruit in and eat! You can make it 2 days in advance, even 3. I haven't tried 4, it always gets eaten by then! ;)

Some of my favorite combinations are:

Coconut milk/water (either) and pineapple
    Peaches (I use a single-serving Dole pack of peaches, and split into two containers of oats) with almond slices added and a dash of vanilla
    1-2 T Chocolate PB2 (powdered peanut butter, just like the real thing when mixed with water but waaaaaay fewer calories/fat), 1/4 - 1/2 t espresso powder, cinnamon and half of a banana
    1-2 T PB2 (or chocolate pb2) and 1 T fruit spread -- like a pb&j!
    Blueberries with a dash of lemon curd

But basically this is super customizeable and almost anything you put in will be tasty.

Me tooo! I love mine with almond milk! Easiest breakfast and done in under 5 minutes!
  • gillywoo81
    gillywoo81 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, or check my blog for my recipes. They all heat up very well so you can take them to work and use microwave. They also have all nutritional values calculated. If you have any more questions feel free to message me :)
  • sspeer10
    sspeer10 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    MVY_ wrote: »
    This is my breakfast and lunch and I work in an office too. You can mix it up however you like it.

Breakfast:

Smoothie - Kale, Protein Powder, Flax Seed, Match Powder
    Almond Butter on Bread
    Boiled Eggs - Made ahead and put in snack bags
    Plain Greek Yogurt with Granola, flax seed, Agave Nectar

Lunch:

Grilled Chicken
    Baked Tilapia
    Frozen veggies (I use this because I just don't have the time cooking all day when I have four kids and I work full time...it's cheaper too and works just as well as fresh veggies)

(All lunchs are premade the night before if not the morning as I am preparing for work. I get my breakfast and lunch ready in under an hour.)

• egbrig
    egbrig Posts: 1 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I can't wait to try these great ideas :) I think the key a lot of you touched on is having things already prepared!! I am going to try the overnight oats tomorrow :) happy New Years
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I like to cook chili, soup, stew, curry, etc, portion and freeze. In the morning I grab one to go to work.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    egbrig wrote: »
    I can't wait to try these great ideas :) I think the key a lot of you touched on is having things already prepared!! I am going to try the overnight oats tomorrow :) happy New Years

If you find you don't like overnight oats (not a fan) - then you can cook a big batch of oats in the crock pot,
    and portion it out for the week. The add-ins get added before warm up: nut butter, chopped nuts, craisins, PB2, pumpkin puree, etc.

I do like Greek yogurt for breakfast too - I stir in Fiber One and chopped nuts before I eat it.

Look for recipes for egg muffin cups and breakfast burritos. These are great freeze & re-heat options.

Salads are great for lunch. I grill a bunch of chicken breast on the weekend & store in it single portion ziplocks. That way I can do Asian chicken salad, or Caesar chicken salad, or taco chicken salad.

A big batch of white bean chili....yum