Loose skin recovery

Options

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    short of surgery (which has its own issues) there isn't anything you can do to REMOVE it. Time, genetics and strength training can help the appearance. lotions and creams can help moisturize, and PERHAPS help SOME elasticity, BUT i think any major difference, or even any notable difference, other than overall skin FEEL, would not be likely.

Once you get to maintenance, work on weights and give it a couple of years to see what your skin does, and at that point you can evaluate more serious options (ie: surgery)
  • ikeATtheGYM
    ikeATtheGYM Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Ok, people, some of you are missing my point.

First, skin is not a static organism!

You are constantly shedding layers of skin. And producing more skin cells, until you die!

Just like you can train your muscles, your heart, lungs, brain to the point that they are transformed...so to can your skin.

Lotion by itself will not do it...exactly like protein powder by itself does nothing! BUT, when you combine protein powder with good weight training and dieting, you will get some noticeable benefits....same is to be said for moisturizing. It helps the skin(a living transformable organism) to do its transformation smoother faster healthier.

But without proper diet and exercise it is going to be much less effective, if not all...
  • tacticalcraptical
    tacticalcraptical Posts: 20 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Thanks for all of the information. The information regarding it taking 2 years to recover is good to know. It really has been 5 months or less since I stopped losing wait and the loose skin actually has recovered quite a bit already so I am sure it just needs more time. I appreciate the information that helps me see the time scale and for the information that helps keep my expectations in check.

Maybe I am just being shallow in regards to all this but I have kind of been gunning for the six pack. I have really started to see some definition come through on my abs in the last few weeks and I feel like if the loose skin was gone, the definition would be even better. But I know I can't get too over anxious about it, just as it has taken time for me to get to this point, it will take more time to get to that point as well.
  • ikeATtheGYM
    Options
    Some of you are very negative and like to debunk or shoot down others so much, you refuse to see the original statement.

I said exercise, time and some lotion are it for non-surgical methods. This is a fact! I did not say what percentage of impact would come from what element. And then all of the "need to dispute" people chime in and fixate on the lotion aspect of my statement, so, they can feel smart when they talk about epidermis and how smart they are and wrong I am?

I did not say lotion tightens skin....I said it is an accepted element of skin improvement strategy.

Get over yourselves and offer some positive solutions instead of fixating on disputing my comments!
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options

You are constantly shedding layers of skin. And producing more skin cells, until you die!

Just like you can train your muscles, your heart, lungs, brain to the point that they are transformed...so to can your skin.

Lotion by itself will not do it...exactly like protein powder by itself does nothing! BUT, when you combine protein powder with good weight training and dieting, you will get some noticeable benefits....same is to be said for moisturizing. It helps the skin(a living transformable organism) to do its transformation smoother faster healthier.

But without proper diet and exercise it is going to be much less effective, if not all...
    This is still wrong. No one stated the skin is a static organ, we simply said lotion does not fix loose skin so you are attacking the straw man. Lotion is not going to fix loose skin. Lotion with proper diet and exercise isn't going to fix loose skin. The key components to loose skin correction are genetics and time. Those are both non modifiable variables. Protein powder is a terrible example. It doesn't do anything aside from add protein to one's diet. It's no different than a chicken breast in the terms of body composition and training results. Moisturizing skin has it's benefits, and anyone should feel free to do it, but it does not help in the correction of loose skin in any significant manner. The OP must simply see over time how his skin responds. Outside of that, surgery is the only other option that will significantly change his skin.
  • erinxo13
    erinxo13 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the information. The information regarding it taking 2 years to recover is good to know. It really has been 5 months or less since I stopped losing wait and the loose skin actually has recovered quite a bit already so I am sure it just needs more time. I appreciate the information that helps me see the time scale and for the information that helps keep my expectations in check.

Maybe I am just being shallow in regards to all this but I have kind of been gunning for the six pack. I have really started to see some definition come through on my abs in the last few weeks and I feel like if the loose skin was gone, the definition would be even better. But I know I can't get too over anxious about it, just as it has taken time for me to get to this point, it will take more time to get to that point as well.

I know how you feel. I haven't lost as much as you have but I see the results and whats going to happen and its frustrating! I can feel how strong parts of my body are but the loose skin is def there and it's incredibly frustrating. Hopefully your skin keeps recovering. I would love to hear an update as you notice a difference!
  • ikeATtheGYM
    Options
    vismal wrote: »

This is still wrong. No one stated the skin is a static organ, we simply said lotion does not fix loose skin so you are attacking the straw man. Lotion is not going to fix loose skin. Lotion with proper diet and exercise isn't going to fix loose skin. The key components to loose skin correction are genetics and time. Those are both non modifiable variables. Protein powder is a terrible example. It doesn't do anything aside from add protein to one's diet. It's no different than a chicken breast in the terms of body composition and training results. Moisturizing skin has it's benefits, and anyone should feel free to do it, but it does not help in the correction of loose skin in any significant manner. The OP must simply see over time how his skin responds. Outside of that, surgery is the only other option that will significantly change his skin.

What did the op ask?

"Is there anything I can do?"

Your answer is wait(time)

My answer is that traditional strategy for proactively working on lose skin is to:

Train weights
    Give it some more time
    And use lotion.

Please look at the replies! You can tell the negative people because they refute, dispute and dilute my reply by focusing on the lotion aspect.

Fact is I'm still 100% correct about what the proactive strategy is! I did not say how effective it is, I stated what the OP can do that is non-surgical.

What did you suggest or focus on? Things he has no control of...which brings me to my last point!

You mentioned genetics. There 7.5 billion humans that have a wide range of genetic mutation, especially in the epidermis. How can you definitively say who benefits and how much they benefit from lotion?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options

What did the op ask?

My answer is that traditional strategy for proactively working on lose skin is to:

Train weights
    Give it some more time
    And use lotion.

Please look at the replies! You can tell the negative people because they refute, dispute and dilute my reply by focusing on the lotion aspect.

Fact is I'm still 100% correct about what the proactive strategy is! I did not say how effective it is, I stated what the OP can do that is non-surgical.

What did you suggest or focus on? Things he has no control of...which brings me to my last point!

You mentioned genetics. There 7.5 billion humans that have a wide range of genetic mutation, especially in the epidermis. How can you definitively say who benefits and how much they benefit from lotion?

Isn't the idea behind strategies that they be effective?

Nobody is telling him that taking good care of your skin in general is useless. Just that well-moisturized loose skin is still loose and won't get better due to more moisture.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

What did the op ask?

Train weights
    Give it some more time
    And use lotion.

Dear,dear---Niner and Vismal are both veterans here, and as you yourself said, you are new. Vismal has lost alot of weight and is running a long thread on lifting. If he says you are wrong, who do you think we're going to believe? Niner is also extremely competent and helpful. There are lurkers that follow the threads, but don't post so I'm pointing out who has more experience, and who I'd listen to. Sometimes you should just sit back, follow the threads, and learn something. This is going to be very good advice if you choose to follow it.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I'm getting co2 laser resurfacing done to my stomach to get of some stretch marks and the doctor told me it will also tighten some of my loose skin.
  • motivccess
    motivccess Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    ^ that works gr8 for mild facial acne scarring too (which i have) in the hands of a reputable surgeon
    I'm getting co2 laser resurfacing done to my stomach to get of some stretch marks and the doctor told me it will also tighten some of my loose skin.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    I love seeing certified trainers, throw around their credentials, as if they know as much as a dermatologist(a Medical Doctor) or a scientist that makes lotion, and the DR or scientists have a longer list of even more impressive titles and educational accomplishments.

Lotion and cream works to moisturize skin!!!! That's why it's used so widely and even in many prescribed medical lotions that treat diseases.
    Yes, because somewhere in my response, I'm totally wrong. I DID mention it moisturized skin. I also mentioned that it's NOT going to reduce loose skin.
    It doesn't take a MD in dermatology to know that topical lotions and creams work on the surface.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options

Hate to tell you this, but if someone's waist line was 42" and now is 33" or less and there's 9 inches around the waist line of loose skin still there after a couple of years, NO AMOUNT of "training" is going to fill that void or reduce it. Apparently, your understanding "transforming" your skin has more to do with texture, suppleness and possibly tanning, but all the lotion, training, protein, "clean diet", vitamin E, etc. doesn't do jack to reduce the amount of excess skin.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    At 31, your loose skin should recover nicely. When I lost 80 lbs, gained back 40 and lost it again at age 42, my loose skin was too old to recover. I went for the tummy tuck, which while painful, was worth the pain and my very faint scar for the flat stomach. And when I get to my goal weight, hopefully by the time I turn 47 in September, and maintain it for a year, I will have the loose skin on my arms and legs removed too. It's a personal preference how we deal with these things.
    Ps. Palmers Skin Therapy Oil is the best for scars and stretch marks. And it smells awesome!
  • threadmad
    threadmad Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    My surgeon recommended massaging with vitamin e oil to help surgical scars heal. I bought a couple of very inexpensive bottles at the drugstore, then remembered my nurse mom once told me to buy vitamin e capsules, poke one end with a pin or needle and squeeze the contents out. I haven't tried vitamin e for anything other than scars, but it might help with dry skin. I've also seen some folks here recommend coconut oil.

I've lost almost 30 lbs so far - no loose skin on my tummy or legs, but my arms look like I could glide through the trees like a flying squirrel. I'm 67, so it must be genetics. We'll see how things are after the last 27 lbs.
  • earth_echo
    earth_echo Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You might want to consider incorporating more gelatin in your diet. NOT Jello necessarily, but gelatin. They sell it as a flavorless powder. Add it to hot cereal or hot drinks. They also sell it in capsules. There are other foods too that have been shown to increase skin elasticity (cucumber and celery come to mind). Google it and get a list going and try to incorporate more of them into diet. Juicing is awesome for this kind of thing. Cram as many into a drink as possible and slug it back once a day. Call it your "skin juice". :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    earth_echo wrote: »
    You might want to consider incorporating more gelatin in your diet. NOT Jello necessarily, but gelatin. They sell it as a flavorless powder. Add it to hot cereal or hot drinks. They also sell it in capsules. There are other foods too that have been shown to increase skin elasticity (cucumber and celery come to mind). Google it and get a list going and try to incorporate more of them into diet. Juicing is awesome for this kind of thing. Cram as many into a drink as possible and slug it back once a day. Call it your "skin juice". :)

Brb, off to drink some skin juice. :grimace:
  • ikeATtheGYM
    Options
    Ok you guys.... I surrender!

I can't help but think of a movie quote...

"It puts the lotion on its skin."

But seriously, you guys are great, I love the passion!

As for my critics and opposition on this lotion fiasco...

One said "...but isn't an effective strategy the point?" So we humans have enough genetic variance to not know who will tighten up their skin or not, BUT not enough genetic variance for my suggestions to possibly be effective? Seems a bit hypocritical to claim genetics in one case but not the other and to do it with such definitive tone.....also, you fail recognize the psychological effects of actually have something positive to do, instead of doing nothing because it's just a genetic lottery anyway.bEither way it's a genetic crap shoot, but my way he's at least doing what are the known techniques for helping your genes do their thing.

Another said..."you can't go from 42 waist to 32 and not have loose skin" actually yes you can and there are tons of pictures all over this site and bodybuilding.com of people who have washboard abs with very little noticeable loose skin and they lost 100+...Yes, I know there are many that have loose skin, but, why assume that will be the group the OP is in.

Another said "I wasn't smug to the OP"...you are right, you were smug towards me and were soooo happy to flex your knowledge and discount what I had said, even though you totally missed the spirit and intent of my suggestions. Not everybody has the same way of dealing with things, For some people it has a huge psychological benefit to do something positive for a problem they are dealing with and for other they prefer to do only what is proven science, in their mind. The end result is more than the skin around his waist, it's how he thinks about it and deals with it that matters.

A final thought: We are all humans, imperfect humans. Very smart people can be wrong too, doctors make misdiagnosis, and scientists great hypothesis are disproven. The only constant is that everybody is imperfect and everybody can make mistakes and that the smartest people know they can learn more because they know enough to know that they don't know it all.

But apparently the above critics and posters are right and under no circumstances should anybody ever expect weight training, time and lotion(but, especially not lotion) to have any impact on any humans loose skin even if the same the genetic diversity that they claim is the major factor in their argument is actually the same basis for the opposing view.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Did you happen to maybe notice that the OP said he's dieted, been training hard, using lotion and STILL has loose skin?
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Ok you guys.... I surrender!

I can't help but think of a movie quote...

"It puts the lotion on its skin."

But seriously, you guys are great, I love the passion!

As for my critics and opposition on this lotion fiasco...

One said "...but isn't an effective strategy the point?" So we humans have enough genetic variance to not know who will tighten up their skin or not, BUT not enough genetic variance for my suggestions to possibly be effective? Seems a bit hypocritical to claim genetics in one case but not the other and to do it with such definitive tone.....also, you fail recognize the psychological effects of actually have something positive to do, instead of doing nothing because it's just a genetic lottery anyway.bEither way it's a genetic crap shoot, but my way he's at least doing what are the known techniques for helping your genes do their thing.

Another said..."you can't go from 42 waist to 32 and not have loose skin" actually yes you can and there are tons of pictures all over this site and bodybuilding.com of people who have washboard abs with very little noticeable loose skin and they lost 100+...Yes, I know there are many that have loose skin, but, why assume that will be the group the OP is in.

Another said "I wasn't smug to the OP"...you are right, you were smug towards me and were soooo happy to flex your knowledge and discount what I had said, even though you totally missed the spirit and intent of my suggestions. Not everybody has the same way of dealing with things, For some people it has a huge psychological benefit to do something positive for a problem they are dealing with and for other they prefer to do only what is proven science, in their mind. The end result is more than the skin around his waist, it's how he thinks about it and deals with it that matters.

A final thought: We are all humans, imperfect humans. Very smart people can be wrong too, doctors make misdiagnosis, and scientists great hypothesis are disproven. The only constant is that everybody is imperfect and everybody can make mistakes and that the smartest people know they can learn more because they know enough to know that they don't know it all.

But apparently the above critics and posters are right and under no circumstances should anybody ever expect weight training, time and lotion(but, especially not lotion) to have any impact on any humans loose skin even if the same the genetic diversity that they claim is the major factor in their argument is actually the same basis for the opposing view.

Speaking of bodybuilding.com

#1-Not everyone that loses a ton of weight has a lot of lose skin.
    #2-to an extent, the skin will tighten up over time.
    #3- sometimes the problem is big enough that surgery IS the only way to fix it.
    #4- Age/genetics probably play a role. Younger people will likely have less problem.
    #5- The rate of weight loss seems to have something to do with it.
    #6- Lfiting can help reduce and in some cases eliminate it, but isn't a sure fix.
    #7- Nutrition may play a role in it as well.

There are just too many moving parts in this issue to give you a yay or nay on it.

To say one or the other aggrivates or helps the loose skin issue more is broscience since we have no real science on it. What I posted above is just a summation of experiences of people I've seen on here and may or may not prove to be correct.