Working out with a cold

Options
I have a questions for you guys.

i got a really bad chest cold earlier this week and Tuesday I decided I'd go work out anyway...
..Exercise fixes everything, right? :laugh:

After my work out I ended up coughing so hard I actually threw up.

:grumble:

Then on Wednesday, I was 100 times worse. I actually ended up leaving work early because I couldn't stop coughing long enough to take a phone call (and i'm a customer service representative!)

I slept all day Wed. and didn't work out. Didnt work out yesterday either because I wanted to give my lungs an additional day to get over it.

Well, needless to say, now i feel like I've been lazy all week and I've ruined my week. I've been eating okay, not too bad, but not too great either...

My questions is: Have you guys noticed that working out with chest cold is not such a great idea? When this happens, what do you do to make up for lost time? Or are there things you do that don't involve over-exhertion of the lungs?

I get sick alot in the winter and I don't want to keep feeling like I messed up my whole week because I had a measly little cold.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks!!!

Replies

• ToTheLove
    Options
    I have a questions for you guys.

i got a really bad chest cold earlier this week and Tuesday I decided I'd go work out anyway...
    ..Exercise fixes everything, right? :laugh:

After my work out I ended up coughing so hard I actually threw up.

:grumble:

Then on Wednesday, I was 100 times worse. I actually ended up leaving work early because I couldn't stop coughing long enough to take a phone call (and i'm a customer service representative!)

I slept all day Wed. and didn't work out. Didnt work out yesterday either because I wanted to give my lungs an additional day to get over it.

Well, needless to say, now i feel like I've been lazy all week and I've ruined my week. I've been eating okay, not too bad, but not too great either...

My questions is: Have you guys noticed that working out with chest cold is not such a great idea? When this happens, what do you do to make up for lost time? Or are there things you do that don't involve over-exhertion of the lungs?

I get sick alot in the winter and I don't want to keep feeling like I messed up my whole week because I had a measly little cold.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks!!!
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Back in the fall, right after Thanksgiving through to the New Year, I could not shake a cold. :sick: I finally got an antibiotic that helped (and my kindergartner was out of school, so she wasn't bringing anything new in the house.) I tried to go on my treadmill during my sickness, but it just made me feel worse. I couldn't take it the next day. It was like the workout was just ANOTHER drain on my energy. Sooooo............
    My advice would be to monitor your diet and to allow your body to get better before resuming your workouts (at least with any intensity, anyway.)

GL. Hope you are better soon.
  • melelaine
    melelaine Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    if you are sick you are sick. Just remember that if you are not able to work out, eat less calories, that is all and don't sweat it you will be back and going in no time.
  • MIDGEKIN
    MIDGEKIN Posts: 113
    Options
    I understand that you can feel lazy and like you wasted a week however the best way to get over being sick is getting plenty of REST!! You could actually be making it worse by exercising normally when your body isn't up to par. As long as you don't eat crazy I say just stay in bed for a day or so and let the sickies leave your body and then slowly get back into your work out routine, go as often as you usally do but don't over work yourself until you feel 100%. In my opinon if you don't get rest you'll end up being sicker longer and futher mess up your routine. If you tend to get sick a lot have you tried Airbourne or taking vitamins on a regualr basis? I know its hard to get in the hang of it but in the end it will pay off!! Good Luck and I hope what I said wasn't to confusing lol Hop eyou feel better!!!
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't work out while your sick like that. Just take it easy and keep within your calorie intake. Not exercising doesn't mean your week is ruinded. Just see how you are feeling next week and pick up where you left off.