PCOS...looking for fellow Cysters....

Options
I was diagnosed with Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome last fall. I was on Metformin for two months, but went off of it and all the other medications I was on at the time. I will be starting it again this week, and will be back full time on my journey to get healthy.

I'm hoping to find other ladies that have PCOS, so we can support and motivate each other. Success stories about weight loss with or without Metformin would also be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• lizpfennig
    lizpfennig Posts: 14
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS officially a couple of months ago, although it was suspected a year ago. I have been taking Metformin (1700mg/day) for the last 2 months along with fertility meds. I did a lot of research on it, including reading a book specific to PCOS and learned a bunch of stuff. First off, there is research to support that it is genetic, which kinda made me feel better, but also, that it is reversible.

I started on MFP April 8th, joined a daily bootcamp and I have since lost 20lbs and a bunch of inches. Metformin is known to help in reducing belly fat, but i'm also finding that it is an appetite suppressant. I am, by no means, an expert on this, but Its nice to know I'm not alone, and I'm happy to impart any knowledge I can or provide any support you might need.
  • brandicockrum
    brandicockrum Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS officially a couple of months ago, although it was suspected a year ago. I have been taking Metformin (1700mg/day) for the last 2 months along with fertility meds. I did a lot of research on it, including reading a book specific to PCOS and learned a bunch of stuff. First off, there is research to support that it is genetic, which kinda made me feel better, but also, that it is reversible.

I started on MFP April 8th, joined a daily bootcamp and I have since lost 20lbs and a bunch of inches. Metformin is known to help in reducing belly fat, but i'm also finding that it is an appetite suppressant. I am, by no means, an expert on this, but Its nice to know I'm not alone, and I'm happy to impart any knowledge I can or provide any support you might need.

Thanks for the info :) I had lost 20lbs, but my eating and everything went haywire, and I gained a few pounds back. I'm hoping to start back up on the Metformin this week, I just have to wait to get into my doctor. I had the intestinal side effects from the Metformin, especially if I ate dairy or a high-fat meal.

I accepted your friend request :) Thanks!
  • lizpfennig
    lizpfennig Posts: 14
    Options
    Believe me, the Metformin TORE UP my stomach for the first few days and again, when my prescription was upped but I adjusted, and I'm sure you will too. I didn't notice if it was related to specific foods or not, but if you are aware of that then try to stay away from them initially and then slowly try to introduce them back into your diet.

PCOS sucks and I think it's more an emotional battle then a physical one, and it's good to know that i'm not alone.
  • brandicockrum
    brandicockrum Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Believe me, the Metformin TORE UP my stomach for the first few days and again, when my prescription was upped but I adjusted, and I'm sure you will too. I didn't notice if it was related to specific foods or not, but if you are aware of that then try to stay away from them initially and then slowly try to introduce them back into your diet.

PCOS sucks and I think it's more an emotional battle then a physical one, and it's good to know that i'm not alone.

After I realized that it was my beloved ice cream that was causing my horrible reactions, I finally had motivation to stop eating it. I still have to get back into my doctor to get a new script for it, so it will be the end of the week.

I do agree that PCOS sucks, lol. It's a lot more difficult than people realize. Glad to have you as a friend!
  • dweias
    dweias Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi,

I've recently been diagnosed with PCOS too. I'm on 2000mg of Metformin a day and I really do hate it! It is better now but when I first started taking it it made me feel so ill, and even now it gets me occassionally. But.... It does seem to have suddenly started working as in the last 3 weeks I've lost just over a stone. When i last saw my endiocronologist she said my bloodwork showed my PCOS to be getting better :).

I also totally agree with the fact that PCOS sucks though! I just keep trying to remember that the more weight I can lose the better it will get!
  • cocobones
    cocobones Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys! Just diagnosed a couple weeks ago, although I have been dealing with Hypothyroidism for a decade. Can anyone tell me what there motivation was for getting on Metformin? I was diagnosed through my obgyn, he basically said he had no role in helping me since I am not currently trying to conceive but when I was ready to he would have a protocal for me. I'm not sure where to go from here. I am eating low sugar and 1200 diet + exercise the lbs are slipping off at a mild pace, Im not thrilled on the idea of taking more medication unless it has a real benefit. Ive heard women speak of protocals they've been trying including metformin but no one seems to really be speaking of major turn arounds by this means. Is a cleaner diet + exercise the best medicine?
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    i was just diagnosed 2 months ago, on metformin as well! friend me if you would like!
  • KeshiaV
    KeshiaV Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hi :)

I was diagnosed with PCOS about 10 years ago and it's been an uphill battle ever since. Coping with the symptoms and attempting to be healthy is definitely a struggle. Feel free to friend me if you need support. I'm so committed to making a life change, not just losing weight.
  • ccam2012
    ccam2012 Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi there,

I too have been diagnosed with PCOS about 12 years ago. It has been a constant struggle with my weight. I used laser for the facial hair and that worked. I also took birth control to regulate my cycle and that worked too. I have not been on birth control for over five years and still get a regular period. I have had cysts on my ovaries which have required surgery and only have one tube. I really would like to have at least one child but the doctors tell me the only way would be through IVf, like I could really afford that... Looking for any advice from anyone who has had sucess getting pregnant.

thanks