Deadlifts hurt my back

Hey! Anyone else gets lower back pain after doing deadlifts? I have been working on my form with a coach so I know I'm doing it right but I still get pain.

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Umm if you are getting lower back pain then you may not be doing them right. I typically DL about 330# and I may feel a little sore after my sets but I do not get pain..

How long does this pain last for? Is it a sharp pain or more like being sore..??
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    You really shouldn't have back pain if your form is correct. Lighten the weight until it stops hurting. What's your trainer's certification? Some trainers are better than others, and should tell you the same.
  • wdunnett1
    wdunnett1 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Check and double check and triple check your back and make sure it's flat. NO rounding just in case you don't check, its common issue
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    You shouldn't feel pain if your form is correct. Maybe post a form video?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    wdunnett1 wrote: »
    Check and double check and triple check your back and make sure it's flat. NO rounding just in case you don't check, its common issue

pretty sure that SOME rounding is ok, especially on heavier lifts....but I agree that OP should not have pain from deadlifting...
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    You shouldn't have back pain from doing deadlifts if your form is right.

It took me some time to realize that muscular back soreness sometimes happened to me after a day of heavy DLs and I was concerned at first when it happened a couple times. But that's muscle soreness which is different from pain caused by improper lifting or other issue.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    BonyCastro wrote: »
    Hey! Anyone else gets lower back pain after doing deadlifts? I have been working on my form with a coach so I know I'm doing it right but I still get pain.

Is this your friend who is a trainer? Their advice on several other posts as well as the information we have in this one seems like they're probably not a very good trainer. Lighten up your deadlift and video tape it.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Sore or pain? How long does it last? I'm often sore when I work at my training max for a good portion of the rest of that day...but not in pain a day later (see the difference). Have someone at your gym check your form or record you; that'll help you determine if it is a form problem.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    edited December 2015
    Pain (not soreness) definitely shouldn't be happening. I used to get a bit of pain whenever I went really heavy. It drove me nuts because my back didn't round at all which is what most people tell you to look for. After reading up and watching my videos over and over I realized I was hyper-extending and leaning back a tiny bit at the top. It was honestly super hard to even notice when reviewing videos but once I figured it out and stopped doing it the pain stopped. I still have to be really aware of it.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    If it's causing lain you're either have bad form, way way way too much weight, or could have some other back issues and shouldn't be doing deadlifts. Now if you mean you have extreme soreness that's another story.
  • FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    If you have back pain you are probably not staying tight... abs back everything I hurt my back when I started by relaxing as I set weight down

I started in May.. and Sunday I pulled 405 1 rep!!!
  • Negative_X
    Negative_X Posts: 296 Member
    edited December 2015
    Drop the weight by at least 50% and really just focus on your form & proper breathing technique for a few weeks, before upping the weight again. As many others have said, you should not be having pain when Deadlifting.

And if you're working with just a gym provided trainer/coach... they are notorious for sometimes being pretty awful. Certification does not automatically equal qualification. Find someone new.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    If your back hurts, it's usually going to be an issue with form. Really can't tell since I can't see your deadlift.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • BonyCastro
    BonyCastro Posts: 110 Member
    Alright you all!! I'm going to get an X-ray tomorrow just to make sure because it's really hurting today after my deadlift work out. Sucks! Thanks for the comments
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,868 Member
    Alright you all!! I'm going to get an X-ray tomorrow just to make sure because it's really hurting today after my deadlift work out. Sucks! Thanks for the comments
    Can you post a video? I learn a lot by seeing them and if your X-ray is normal you might have some good feedback waiting here for you.
  • BonyCastro
    fiddletime wrote: »
    Can you post a video? I learn a lot by seeing them and if your X-ray is normal you might have some good feedback waiting here for you.

I can post a video the next time I get to do it which it will
    Probably be in a week
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member

Probably be in a week

If you're getting x-rays shouldn't you be planning on not lifting at all, upper or lower body, for a few weeks to a few months? If you are hurting bad enough to see a doctor about it then you should be avoiding lifting.
  • BonyCastro
    usmcmp wrote: »

Probably be in a week

If you're getting x-rays shouldn't you be planning on not lifting at all, upper or lower body, for a few weeks to a few months? If you are hurting bad enough to see a doctor about it then you should be avoiding lifting.

I had a chiropractor appointment set up for tomorrow already so I'm just going to ask for X-rays because is not the first time this happens w deadlifts.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Are u getting enough air support? Huge inhale into the abdomen (not just upper chest) push the abs out hard (not just tightened) and hold the breath during the rep. Takes a huge amount of load off the back. On high enough weights a belt gives u something to push the abs against. I'll actually hold my breath for an entire 5R set so I don't lose tightness.
  • amietest
    amietest Posts: 57 Member
    Ummm. I am not a doctor but I am old enough to know if an exercise causes pain not soreness you need to quit it for a while. And go back cautiously. Regardless of why it hurts you.