What's the difference...?

Options
Between slow pace walking and leisurely walking? I am about to go walking but I will have my four-year-old tagging along.. lol..

Also, are the exercise calories burned accurate or at least close? I found that with a lot of the food listed it is wrong and I am always checking and correcting.. do I need to do the same with the exercise?

Replies

• Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    With exercise it really depends on your body how much the activity burns, therefore anything MFP gives is a 'best guess', regardless.

With regards to pace, I have an app on my phone (RunKeeper, but there are many others that do the same, CardioTrainer is another, I think) that tracks your walk by GPS and tells you your pace in mph.
  • Nikki28y
    Nikki28y Posts: 2
    Options
    I have found it is always better to check. If you can afford it I suggest getting an electronic pedometer. One that has a calories burned counter. That way you know what your activities burn and you can add that in! I imagine having your toddler with you will make you go faster, then slower. When mine were small it was short burst of running and long periods of carrying them! =)
  • electricnarwhal
    Options
    I usually tend to use 'leisurely walking' whenever I'm out doing errands, like grocery shopping. If that helps any.
  • Homer3D
    Homer3D Posts: 318
    Options
    you should get yourself a heart rate monitor. That way you know for sure the number of calories your burning. I use RunKeeper as well on my phone. On a 4 mile jog, I found that RunKeeper is about 10 calories off from my HRM. But if I enter my time in MFP it is even further off. Still not by that much, but I use the HRM numbers when I can.
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    i've discovered there's a significant difference between what my HRM says I burn on walks and what mfp says i burn. i tend to go with the hrm as it takes more into account
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Yea I want to get one one, but I don't have the money for it right now...
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    When I started I underestimated my exercise calories. The site info seemed high. About 3 months in I bought a Heart Rate Monitor, and now I am more comfortable using the calories burned it shows. It does usually come in lower than what the site would say. Leisurely and slow pace sound about the same. I would see which one was created by the site and which one was user added. Maybe that would help you decide which to use.
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Yea I want to get one one, but I don't have the money for it right now...
    they're definitley worth it. i got a not so expensive. its the new balance one, it was like $40 at costco, and think its definitely worth it. so when you get the chance i highly recommend it