eating after 8

Options
okay, so I completely understand the basics and why it is not good to eat after 8 or even before bed. but let's say, hypothetically, you have a busy schedule your getting to the gym, eating healthy at the right times but you get home late. not all the time but a lot. and say for argument sake you really don't have time to eat or make time due to whatever reason. my question is: if I come home and it's 10 o'clock and I have 2 eggs and a packet of oatmeal, am I "ruining my diet". more so will I see weight gain, weight loss, slower weight loss?

Replies

• Tinawood40
    Tinawood40 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner at 8 every night. I've lost 36 pounds. My goal is s pound a week and I've lost a pound a week.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    You could eat all your day's calories two minutes before bedtime and it wouldn't help or hurt you long-term weight loss - you'll lose just as much as if you allocated those calories differently.

Apart from eating late at night contributing to heartburn / GERD at night, there's no real reason to avoid it. Eat when you can / when you want to / when works best for you.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what time you eat, won't affect your weight loss in any way. Your metabolism works 24 hours a day. The only best time to stop eating is right before you fall asleep, to avoid a choking hazard or making a mess in bed.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Just try to...
    Eat enough to lose at a decent rate
    Eat plenty of high nutrient foods, fruits, veggies, etc... for your micros and such
    Get sufficient protein (.8lbs per lb of body weight is what's generally recommended) and sufficient fats

Outside of a medical condition, you don't need to worry about meal timing.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    What makes you think eating after 8 "is not good"? I have always been a night eater, including the times I've wanted to lose weight (successfully). I currently have 300 calories ready to be eaten after my kids go to bed, which will be after 8pm.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    It makes no difference. You say you completely understand the basics , but I think you may be very confused. I eat right before bed every night and have lost all my weight and have kept it off for 2+ yrs. It comes down to calories for weight loss, not what time you eat.
    If you are allotted 1500 cals per day ( and are using a food scale to be sure your being as accurate as possible) and you eat 1499 cals at 10pm and go to bed at 1001 pm, then you would still lose weight. Weight loss is caused by a calorie deficit. As long as you eat at a deficit, you will lose weight. ( just be sure your really at a deficit. Lots of people estimate their calories and think calorie counting doesn't work. They just are not weighing foods and logging accurately so it doesn't work for them ) the time that you eat makes no difference as far as weight loss goes.
    It seems you may have been misformed about night time eating. Lots of people spread around myths like " if you eat before bed you will gain weight because you won't burn off those calories" or " if you eat carbs you will gain weight " there's plenty of BAD info that gets spread around. The one thing you need to truly understand is that weight loss comes down to calories.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    It doesn't matter what time you eat, won't affect your weight loss in any way. Your metabolism works 24 hours a day. The only best time to stop eating is right before you fall asleep, to avoid a choking hazard or making a mess in bed.

This. I'm not sure what basics you learned that made you think that eating after 8 was bad OP, but you might want to rethink the information.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I lost 95 lb mostly eating dinner between 9 and 10, since I'm usually not home before 8:30. I don't see why it would be an issue. Trust me, my metabolism is just fine.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Not eating after [insert arbitrary cutoff time here] is the basics of interweb diet advice. So glad I found the rebels at MFP who work tirelessly trying to undo the damage that banana lady and "Doctor" Oz have caused.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Once I found out meal timing doesn't matter, 10 pounds melted off. I save myself a couple hundred calorie to eat before bed every night.
  • MFrey718
    MFrey718 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    let me clarify. I am on this site to gain more knowledge, and it seems as though elaboration wasn't my strong point this point. the negatives of eating before bed or the "basics" did not pertain to weight loss basics. the last part was my question and the part where weight loss was involved. the basics are more health based: insomnia, heartburn, development of reflux, I was also under the belief that digestion is better in an upright position rather than a prone position. so when I said that I understand the basics I meant I understand that there is "risk" for all these things. the part about weight loss, which you all answered, was what I was curious about.
  • MFrey718
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »
    What makes you think eating after 8 "is not good"? I have always been a night eater, including the times I've wanted to lose weight (successfully). I currently have 300 calories ready to be eaten after my kids go to bed, which will be after 8pm.

for all around health reasons not just weight loss.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    MFrey718 wrote: »
    let me clarify. I am on this site to gain more knowledge, and it seems as though elaboration wasn't my strong point this point. the negatives of eating before bed or the "basics" did not pertain to weight loss basics. the last part was my question and the part where weight loss was involved. the basics are more health based: insomnia, heartburn, development of reflux, I was also under the belief that digestion is better in an upright position rather than a prone position. so when I said that I understand the basics I meant I understand that there is "risk" for all these things. the part about weight loss, which you all answered, was what I was curious about.

If it causes you insomnia, heartburn or acid reflux, that would be a good reason not to do it. Some people are affected that way, others aren't.

Your original question pertained purely to weight loss, which was what everybody was answering.
  • MFrey718
    Options
    Not eating after [insert arbitrary cutoff time here] is the basics of interweb diet advice. So glad I found the rebels at MFP who work tirelessly trying to undo the damage that banana lady and "Doctor" Oz have caused.

so is what your saying is not only does eating late not effect your diet, it has been medically proven that it poses no health risk at all? because then I was completely misinformed.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    OK then , if you do not experience any insomnia, heart burn ,etc then there is no reason why you can't eat before bed as far as weight loss goes.
    If you do have these ailments while eating before bed , then I wouldn't suggest it.
    I personally do not , so I eat before bed all the time.
    As far as weight loss goes, it makes no difference. It comes down to calories not what time you eat.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    okay, so I completely understand the basics and why it is not good to eat after 8 or even before bed. but let's say, hypothetically, you have a busy schedule your getting to the gym, eating healthy at the right times but you get home late. not all the time but a lot. and say for argument sake you really don't have time to eat or make time due to whatever reason. my question is: if I come home and it's 10 o'clock and I have 2 eggs and a packet of oatmeal, am I "ruining my diet". more so will I see weight gain, weight loss, slower weight loss?

If you don't have a medical issue restricting how close to bedtime you eat, then yes, you can eat whenever you want because when you eat does not affect weight loss. I don't believe we can ruin our diet because we are all human and wil gove over calories sometimes. :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

I deal with the same issue. If you have heartburn, acid reflux, or insomnia, it's a good idea not to eat a few hours before before bed. I also sleep on a wedge that elevates my heat about 8 inches, and it's very comfortable.

Have you been to the doctor as well to discuss your digestion issues? It's a good idea. :)
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    For those of us who work 3rd shift, we'd be SCREWED if we couldn't eat all night long and right before sleeping!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

so is what your saying is not only does eating late not effect your diet, it has been medically proven that it poses no health risk at all? because then I was completely misinformed.

I definitely didn't say that, but you asked if it ruined your diet. My response was specific to the question you asked. I'll remember to write an encyclopedia about eating at night next time.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    -2 servings of oats
    -One large banana
    -Mashed cauliflower
    -bowl of fiber one cereal
    -mini protein sweet potato muffins
    -turkey

All eaten at 2 am last night......