Best ways to weigh/measure food??

Options
So I have a food scale that isn't electronic. It's old school and measures ounces up to 16 and I mainly use it to measure meat. The rest of my food I use measuring cups to measure. Do you guys think it's worth it to get a food scale that is electronic to measure food in grams for more accuracy? And how do you all measure your different types of food? Thanks!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Get a digital scale. Weigh all solids. Use a liquid measuring cup for liquids.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Yes. Many times yes. They are dirt cheap too!

For solids, they go on the scale. For messy solids, they go on a zero'd plate on the scale. For condiments or stuff like peanut butter, I weigh the jar before and after. For liquids I use a measuring jug.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    If you're having trouble losing weight, then getting the electronic scale that weighs in grams can be very helpful.

Are you losing as expected right now? If so, just keep on doing what you're doing. If your weight loss slows, getting the scale to tighten up your logging would be the first thing to do.

Some people are pretty good at estimating portion size and don't need a scale to lose weight. You might be one of those folks :)

~Lyssa
  • riley4785
    riley4785 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I like having a digital scale. For under $20 it zeros, and weighs in either grams or ounces. I stick a plate on the scale then zero it add my stuff and zero after I track each item so everything is accounted for by weight. 28 grams of potato chips by weight looks a lot different than the 17 that the bag suggests is a serving. That alone makes the digital food scale my friend!
  • Salex579
    Salex579 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! I've lost weight in the past with with weight watchers and they generally use cups and ounces and then convert those to points. I guess I was trying to do the same thing with calories. Which I can do, but I think I need to be more precise because I'm sure I'm underestimating calories. I'll start shopping today for a digital scale. :)
  • walk2health4me
    walk2health4me Posts: 30 Member
    Options
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Get a digital scale. I have a Salter that cost about $30 that I have been using for almost 10 years. I measure most of my portions in grams. It makes a huge difference.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Yes, worth it. And I'm a very cheap person.